Experimental kicking rule to be trialled at All Stars

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Experimental kicking rule to be trialled at All Stars
http://www.nrl.com/news/latestnews/n...s/default.aspx
NRL Mon, 07 Feb 2011 17:21:00

The Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars will again break new ground with an experimental rule designed to promote attacking play from deep within a team’s own half.

The experimental rule will give the team in possession the opportunity for six more tackles if it kicks and regains the ball in its own half (see full rule below).

The All Stars will also include a number of special broadcasting changes including on-field microphones relaying the instructions of trainers Wendell Sailor (Learn. Earn. Legend! Indigenous All Stars) and Brad Fittler (NRL All Stars), microphones in team huddles during first and third quarter team talks, a two-way link between the commentators and video referee to allow them to discuss decisions and the possibility of on field interviews with players after scoring plays.

“This spirit in which this match is played allows us to try a lot of ideas,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“Not surprisingly in this match they all focus on promoting attacking play.

“Last year we trialled an extra tackle instead in lieu of a conversion and it was a lot of fun.

“They aren’t necessarily going to end up as rules in the NRL but they do give us an insight into areas that we can look to evolve in the game from time to time.”

Rule Change: If a player in possession of the ball in his team’s half of the field kicks the ball and it is re-gathered by him or any member of his team, the referee shall signal 6 more tackles for the team in possession provided that -:

- The ball has traveled at least 5 metres in a forward direction (towards the opponent’s goal line).

- The kick has reached the point at which the previous play the ball (ruck) took place.

- The ball is regained by the attacking team prior to the half way mark. If the ball is kicked in the defensive half of the field but is regained in the attacking half, the referee shall not restart the tackle count.

Not a bad rule. I mean its a gamble to kick in your own half but if you have fast wingers and you are trapped on your line with the fullback close by it's worth a shot

Ox would have been awesome at this ! And I'm not being sarcastic. Man I miss the bloke.

good to know. I will be there on Sat. I'm so hanging for some footy...experimental, miked up..I don't give a f@ck if the trainers are on donkeys!...just looking forward to the footy. ;)

No offside element to this rule then? Whats to stop one of the wingers waiting on the half way line while the team is struggling to get out of the 20, then you kick up field to him, he gathers and 6 again.

Rusty link said:
No offside element to this rule then? Whats to stop one of the wingers waiting on the half way line while the team is struggling to get out of the 20, then you kick up field to him, he gathers and 6 again.

I am sure the usual offside rules would apply.

TokyoEagle link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=186382.msg314489#msg314489 date=1297082609]

[/quote]

Just making the point that the rule as written does not include an offside rule, despite listing the provisions under which the rule stands.

I agree the offside rule is likely assumed.

Drizzt1 link said:
Ox would have been awesome at this ! And I'm not being sarcastic. Man I miss the bloke.
The experts on this site have ruled that Ox was our greatest liability.  And this was comprehensively proven by our vast improvement last year without him.

Rusty link said:
[quote author=TokyoEagle link=topic=186382.msg314491#msg314491 date=1297089945]
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=186382.msg314489#msg314489 date=1297082609]

[/quote]

Just making the point that the rule as written does not include an offside rule, despite listing the provisions under which the rule stands.

I agree the offside rule is likely assumed.
[/quote]

And why wouldn't the offside rule apply?

If this goes ahead can we bring Phil Blake (for the kids out there the king of the chip and chase...)

From another forum (yes, I'm a forum slut) -

"With today's halves, we'd end up going back towards Union – the attacking team would be able to keep the ball for so long. Getting towards the end of the tackle count and just over halfway? 4th tackle run backwards, 5th tackle execute chip kick and regain, instant new tackle count."

I tend to agree with this point, a good team could end up monopolising the possession, this could lead to boring games and blown out scores.

Brookie4eva link said:

\"With today's halves, we'd end up going back towards Union – the attacking team would be able to keep the ball for so long. Getting towards the end of the tackle count and just over halfway? 4th tackle run backwards, 5th tackle execute chip kick and regain, instant new tackle count.\"

I tend to agree with this point, a good team could end up monopolising the possession, this could lead to boring games and blown out scores.

well yes and no.

Read the construct of the rule.

If you were close to halfway, say 5 metres away on the 4th and ran backwards you would need to kick the ball and regather between the 45th and 50m mark

"- The kick has reached the point at which the previous play the ball (ruck) took place."

It would take some skill and co-ordination to get everyone back onside and kick it within a small area. A big risk really because if it bounces forward past halfway, the tackle count does not restart and there is a good chance the other team will get it.

Whilst I understand your point, they have actually constructed the parameters of the rule quite well.

It will be fun to see them trying it in the All stars game because it will be a lot of fun. It wouldn't make it to NRL, but it certainly is constructed in a way that makes it a risk to try and still worth while executing

Dan link said:
[quote author=Brookie4eva link=topic=186382.msg314539#msg314539 date=1297127334]

\"With today's halves, we'd end up going back towards Union – the attacking team would be able to keep the ball for so long. Getting towards the end of the tackle count and just over halfway? 4th tackle run backwards, 5th tackle execute chip kick and regain, instant new tackle count.\"

well yes and no.

Read the construct of the rule.

If you were close to halfway, say 5 metres away on the 4th and ran backwards you would need to kick the ball and regather between the 45th and 50m mark

"- The kick has reached the point at which the previous play the ball (ruck) took place."

It would take some skill and co-ordination to get everyone back onside and kick it within a small area. A big risk really because if it bounces forward past halfway, the tackle count does not restart and there is a good chance the other team will get it.

Whilst I understand your point, they have actually constructed the parameters of the rule quite well.

It will be fun to see them trying it in the All stars game because it will be a lot of fun. It wouldn't make it to NRL, but it certainly is constructed in a way that makes it a risk to try and still worth while executing
[/quote]

Not only that, but when you are getting closer to the halfway mark the temptation woul be there to try for a 40/20. This rule puts the defending side in two minds as to what tactic you might try. Probably mostly effective around the 30 m mark when your approaching 40/20 range and running out of room to regather. My guess is it would better be used when you're on a bit of a roll but are pinned close to your own sticks!

My thought is that this will only be used in the last couple of minutes of a game if your team is behind by a couple and pinned down there end.  It's a huge risk otherwise. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7