Every few years we get a marque player/s

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
So the question will be who do you think will be next?

Thinking we'll need a top line centre for when Killa retires (ironically one of the last marque's we brought).
Another is a prop - Kitey as well (another).

Would love to get Sam Tomkins but think we're right for a fullback for the next few years (Snake, Gutherson, Hiku, Gagan).

doesn't marquee mean they're actually good?
tamou is a fruitcake!

i hope we don't waste cash on him....
$200k max

If Matt Scott were a bit younger maybe him.
Remy Casty (Catalan - good part about him is his French so wouldn't miss games for Origin).

A centre I think would go well here is Zak Hardraker (Leeds - and English so would also miss Origin)

eagles2win said:
If Matt Scott were a bit younger maybe him.
Remy Casty (Catalan - good part about him is his French so wouldn't miss games for Origin).

A centre I think would go well here is Zak Hardraker (Leeds - and English so would also miss Origin)

England? That's in Queensland isn't it?

Marquee players are for underperforming clubs who need a star to build a team around, draw other players and bring out the best in their existing talent.

We were in that place when we signed BK, Kite and Killer. At that time I think the only genuine star we had in our team was Beaver - with a few up and coming potential future stars like Brett and Glenn Stewart and Steve Matai. Choc was getting there but he was not the player he is today. We needed those experienced marquee players to take our young talent and help them realise their potential - and they did.

The team we have now is a different proposition. We already have our superstars. We don't need any more established superstars, we need to make new ones.

MadMarcus said:
Marquee players are for underperforming clubs who need a star to build a team around, draw other players and bring out the best in their existing talent.

We were in that place when we signed BK, Kite and Killer. At that time I think the only genuine star we had in our team was Beaver - with a few up and coming potential future stars like Brett and Glenn Stewart and Steve Matai. Choc was getting there but he was not the player he is today. We needed those experienced marquee players to take our young talent and help them realise their potential - and they did.

The team we have now is a different proposition. We already have our superstars. We don't need any more established superstars, we need to make new ones.

Yes and no.
70's for example we brought in Branighan, Irvine, O'Neill and Reilly to get our first couple of Premierships.
80's Vautin, Cleal, etc
90's Sedarius, Roberts, Carroll

The trick is to get players that complement our current players

MadMarcus said:

Agree completely. The focus should be from building from within, rather than saddling ourselves with monster free agent contracts. Developing a continually fruitful youth system should be a priority, and I believe that's what Perry & Co. are in the process of trying to do.

We already have marquee players in Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran and Anthony Watmough.

bones said:
We already have marquee players in Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran and Anthony Watmough.

And what happens when a few of the older guys retire?

eagles2win said:
bones said:

My point is we do not have room under the cap for any more marquee players. Obviously as they retire it frees up more cash. Hopefully by then, some of the young signings are on the verge of becoming marquee players themselves.

Worth mentioning that many players that joined Manly were up and coming players. Dale Shearer, Crusher, Mark Carroll, Terry Hill, Brent Kite etc were all good players but had not represented Australia. At Manly they went on to play tests and show themselves to be greats. We did have Marquee players like Mike O'Connor and Ben Kennedy at certain times but most success has been a blend of a few stars, some emerging players and some solid players who have been around for a while. That is the Manly way - most signings improve with us and the club brings out the best in them.

bones said:
eagles2win said:
bones said:

My point is we do not have room under the cap for any more marquee players. Obviously as they retire it frees up more cash. Hopefully by then, some of the young signings are on the verge of becoming marquee players themselves.

I would love for this to happen.
But I'd hate to end up like Souths (in the past) and hope on just local juniors or young guys brought into the club.

So my thing isn't to bring 6-7 players in but 2-3 players that complement our players that will be around then (2014-16)

Phantar said:
Fatty was an unknown (in Sydney) Wests Brisbane player when he joined Manly.

And now he's an unknown player who embarrasses himself on a weekly basis on a low brow variety show.

I have to say that right now, we don't need a marquee. The next top(ish) star to come through will be a youngster that's starting to make a name for himself, but not quite at the stage to reap the big contracts. Brenton Lawrence would be a good example of a buy like this, or Ritchie Fae'oso.

As for replacing Killer, you are right. We will need someone big on that side to cover him. I think the big one here is Hoppa Jnr. I think he'll return to the club when Killer is ready to hang up the boots.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7