Embarrassing Spelling mistake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
255066-manly-jersey-mix-up.jpg

FORMER Super League boss John Ribot once famously declared he'd put rugby league on the map in Asia.

It turns out 15 years later the Chinese can't even spell the name of our NRL premiers.

In an embarrassing blunder that will cost jersey manufacturer ISC tens of thousands of dollars, Manly-Warringah has been spelt Manly Warringan on jerseys made at a small factory in Beijing.

The flawed stock has already been distributed into Australia's major rugby league outlets including Peter Wynn's Score at Parramatta and Rebel at Warringah Mall.

Most jerseys purchased as Christmas presents more than likely have the spelling mistake above the Sea Eagles logo.

The error has been found on both home and away jerseys and wet weather jackets.

Manly officials had no idea of the problem until alerted by The Daily Telegraph this week.

Owner and chairman Scott Penn said: "I've got one here in my office - it's perfect."

Penn's jersey is one of a small number still manufactured by ISC in Australia.

"I'll look into it," he said when emailed a photo with the incorrect spelling.

The jersey problem continues a totally forgettable six months for the NRL premiers, who sacked their longest-serving official Peter Peters, lost their coach Des Hasler to Canterbury and lost Will Hopoate to the Parramatta Eels (via a Mormon mission) along with all the boardroom and ownership squabbles.

Peter Wynn said he was first alerted to the problem on Monday when a customer who had purchased a jersey over the weekend, complained.

"It's highly unusual for a reputable company like ISC," Wynn said.

"Very uncharacteristic.

"There's such a long checking process - the factory that makes them, the manufacturer, the NRL and then the club.

"All they can do is recall the stock and make sure our customers get the right ones for the start of the season."

ISC has confirmed about 1000 items will have to be recalled. At $169 a jersey, it's a mistake that will cost the company a minimum $100,000.

Manly's commercial director Greg Butterworth confirmed the bad jerseys had been distributed to at least 20 retail outlets and some had been found in the club's own supporters store.

"It's irritating and it's a nuisance," Butterworth said, "but it won't cost us anything because ISC have agreed to replace it all straight away. It's just like a product recall.

"They also have a factory in Australia that is used for urgent supplies. We couldn't just let it go because it's our brand and we have to protect it."There have been a couple of complaints but most people have had a bit of a laugh and come in to replace it."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-warringan-jersey-blooper-adds-to-curse/story-e6frfgbo-1226241243546

Goes to show how much margin is in a jersey that costs $3 to make in China and sells for $190 in Australia.

Kapi was the 1st to find the spelling mistake last week & alert the club, not the Daily Terror.

Mals said:
Kapi was the 1st to find the spelling mistake last week & alert the club, not the Daily Terror.

Thanks for the props Mals, the main thing is this has now been addressed and the club (Larissa) have reacted in the appropriate manner in order to protect 'our' brand. I think ISC may struggle to get a contract renewal starting 2013 but.

As a member of the Manly Warringan Travelling Supportans this doesn't bother me too much

Why do News Ltd mention Hasler, Hoppa Jnr and even the boardroom dramas in an article about a jersey stuff up by ISC.

Oh just checked....Phil Rothfield...w@nker

Frogz said:
Why do News Ltd mention Hasler, Hoppa Jnr and even the boardroom dramas in an article about a jersey stuff up by ISC.

Oh just checked....Phil Rothfield...w@nker

I second that -btw, well said.

bones said:
As a member of the Manly Warringan Travelling Supportans this doesn't bother me too much

It's funny. In phuket you can these knitted braclets. They come around the bars at night there are national ones, some very rude explicit ones as well as epl and nrl teams. In feb when I was there one night on the sauce I bought a manly one only to discover back in Australia it didnt say sea eagles it said she eagles.

HappilyManly said:
Manly Warringah are back under the radar :p

Are Manly Warringah supporters now officially Warringans? Seems OK to me....We have been called worse than this before...I can anticipate a few rallying call Warringan banners at Brookie from now on. "Warringan" will out rival SOO "Queenslander" calls with intense passion from the Terry Hill in 2012! Long live Warringans!!!

4th paragraph down...........

Peter Wynn's Score at Parramatta

I've never been to his store but is that a spelling mistake or is his shop actually called Peter Wynn's Score?

I've got a rubber backed bar runner here that says, "Manly Warrigah Sea Eagles". We found it in a shop here in 2003/4 and couldn't leave it. I paid $10 for it and the old bloke would not budge on price, even when i showed him the mistake. LOL.

G-land Express said:
4th paragraph down...........

Peter Wynn's Score at Parramatta

I've never been to his store but is that a spelling mistake or is his shop actually called Peter Wynn's Score?

Peter Wynn's store is in fact named 'Peter Wynn's Score'.

mozgrame said:
I've got a rubber backed bar runner here that says, "Manly Warrigah Sea Eagles". We found it in a shop here in 2003/4 and couldn't leave it. I paid $10 for it and the old bloke would not budge on price, even when i showed him the mistake. LOL.

Collectors item like those stamps printed with the upside down plane in the US last one was auctioned for USD$525,ooo.

Cambo said:
bones said:

It's funny. In phuket you can these knitted braclets. They come around the bars at night there are national ones, some very rude explicit ones as well as epl and nrl teams. In feb when I was there one night on the sauce I bought a manly one only to discover back in Australia it didnt say sea eagles it said she eagles.

I'd say that was entirely appropriate considering you were in Thailand!

LOL. The Daily Telegraph are hyprocrites !! They've been mispelling Paul Kent's surname for years.

I thought the club had changed the name in protest over Warringah Council's approach to negotiations over Brookie?

Chip and Chase said:
LOL. The Daily Telegraph are hyprocrites !! They've been mispelling Paul Kent's surname for years.
You're correct there's no e in his surname. But I'm sure there's a you. #iamcaptainobvious

Cambo said:
bones said:

Maybe the NRL players wives should all [accurately] call themselves She Eagles.. More Brookie banner possibilities! What about He Eagles for the male Terry Hillites? This situation is not a spelling error at all, it is an identity discovery issue...a happy accident...We are all coming out or maybe it is in cannot decide this one....need expert help...confusion now well above state average....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7