Kane Elgey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Sue

Bencher
I’ve been a fan off this kid skill wise for a long time. Just don’t think he has it physically to make it in the NRL. Roberts a class above tonight.Think it’s time to bite the bullet with him and either chase a Roberts type or show confidence in Croker.

Croker doesn’t have his skill set but he’s tough and complements DCE who has all the skills. You need to get hard and dirty in the NRL and don’t think Kane’s got it.

Cust looks good for a kid. Long kicking game an issue ?? We can’t carry the three of them.

I’ve been a fan off this kid skill wise for a long time. Just don’t think he has it physically to make it in the NRL. Roberts a class above tonight.Think it’s time to bite the bullet with him and either chase a Roberts type or show confidence in Croker.

Croker doesn’t have his skill set but he’s tough and complements DCE who has all the skills. You need to get hard and dirty in the NRL and don’t think Kane’s got it.

Cust looks good for a kid. Long kicking game an issue ?? We can’t carry the three of them.
One problem with Croker , he's always injured.

@Sue , I respect you and your opinion massively, but I disagree here. He had 2 disallowed tries, and played well I thought. He's played just 11 games with a new team and culture, and is getting better every game.

Give him time mate.

No probs Ryan. I’ve been watching him since he’s been a kid. Lovely guy and great skill set. Just can’t seem to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. I know it’s eleven games for us but he’s been in the NRL for four years. I hope I’m wrong too, he’s a good kid.

Didn’t say he lost the game for us. I’ve rarely, if ever, seen a game where you can pin a loss on one player. Just think he’s not the answer to our five eight issue.
And agree with you re forwards. One of the few games this year where Marty and AFB weren’t fired up. Started well but got complacent.
These guys are so good. They win games on their own almost. Flip side is if they don’t turn up , especially without TT and DCE, we just wont win many games.

The boys are tired. Tonight is no reason to panic.

@Ryan @Sue
Elgey is a polarising player
Fact: He is a short term solution
Des will not entertain a player of his limitations
He will not be at Manly in 2021 (or before) sorry, but he just has not got the quality

Well, Schuster should be around then, so I'm guessing you're right. I'm a big fan of Elgey though.

I think tonight was a game that would make most halves look ordinary, as the opposition had all the energy in the speed of play balls in attack and defensively were able to slow us down to slow motion which led to playing sideways and rushed kicks/ pressure passes.
There were times I felt he threw the impossible suicide pass to Thompson and Parker, when it was not on and an instant turnover....with field position and possession already killing us.
Not 100% sold on Elgey, but could not dismiss him based on that lethargic team performance tonight.

Didn’t say he lost the game for us. I’ve rarely, if ever, seen a game where you can pin a loss on one player. Just think he’s not the answer to our five eight issue.
And agree with you re forwards. One of the few games this year where Marty and AFB weren’t fired up. Started well but got complacent.
These guys are so good. They win games on their own almost. Flip side is if they don’t turn up , especially without TT and DCE, we just wont win many games.

I thought Marty was great in his first stint however AFB for the most part seemed distracted and disinterested. They both struggle when we don’t have much ball and as we only had a dash over 40% their impact was lessened. AFB is a gun but he needs to cut the rubbish out of his game, patting blokes on the head etc is not a great look. Our major issue today was completions in the 60’s compared to them late 80’s. We couldn’t sustain any pressure.

Hard to turn up in the middle after a five day turn around. Four technically

I've been thinking the same thing about Elgey but I didn't want it to come across as a negative post. It's to early to go out on a limb in favour of Cust but it's hard not to be impressed by his maturity. Three good youngsters vying to be DCE's halves partner can only be a bonus.

I agree with Sue. I also think the halves were a big reason we lost. Yeah, OK, the forwards were flat but there were times when they consistently got us over half way, only for a terrible kick to be placed. Elgey does look a bit soft, lacks composure and after the knee reco, appears to have lost some zip.

Croker would be the best of the three at this stage but seems to always be injured. We need a quality half to partner Chez. Hopefully Cust will keep developing but he has a way to go.

I’m not even sure what I think of this idea myself tbh, and it probably won’t happen anyway, but when DCE and Tom are back fit, with Parker now out injured, is 1 Tom 3 Elliott 4 Suli 6 Walker an option ?

I suggest this with the memory in my mind that last season, in a pretty dismal year, our best period of the year coincided with Walker being available and playing there alongside DCE

Elgey is not an organiser or big talker, plays more off the cusp like DCE. His defence to be fair has been pretty good. When forwards rolling forward he is dangerous, but is reluctant to step up when things are going side ways.

Crocker is the opposite. Goes ok with general organising, tough defender, not afraid to take pressure off dce and call the shots. Pretty decent long kicking game. When he runs he can be dangerous, quicker than people think.

Despite the despicable commentary last season, it was pretty obvious that Croker is the foil DCE needs.
The coach stifled his game, to suit what he wanted for the team, which I thought was obvious at the time...and as the coach, he lived and ultimately died by these decisions.

Croker is exactly what we need, imo. Cheap, serviceable, tough as an old boot, has a kicking game, and is willing to take the line on.

Just needs to stay on the field, and it is becoming a real issue that he is constantly injured. Both for the team, and his career.

Interesting how opinions swing so quickly. Croker was a choker last year. He played one good game but looked out of his depth during the other games before his injury. Now he may turn into something worthy but he's played a couple of games this year and done well and suddenly he's the Messiah. I'm yet to be convinced Elgey or Croker are the answer. Yes, Cust is young and inexperienced but he toughs it out and does his job. I don't think he's any less capable than the other two at this stage. Croker is only 22, Cust only 20 while Elgey is 25. In my opinion Elgey has the greater creativity of the three, but seems to lack the confidence and toughness. The other two are still young and may develop well, but at this stage all three are temps in my opinion

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6