Eagles v Jets

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The fact Hastings, Cullen, Parker ect. Won't get a game for us (Hastings off the bench) unless injury strikes for the next couple of years is Great! Problem is will probably loses a couple of them.

The fact Hastings, Cullen, Parker ect. Won't get a game for us (Hastings off the bench) unless injury strikes for the next couple of years is Great! Problem is will probably loses a couple of them.
Waiting for your time to shine is part of the game. A couple of weeks back Matt Wright wasn't ever going to get a game. Now you would bet he would have to be injured to miss out.

Had a feeling with the team they had that Blacktown was in for a good win. There's some excellent talent there waiting for their chance with the big boys.

Interesting game at Henson Park yesterday. The 1st half was full of silly errors on our part in attack and as a result, the Jets had a glut of possession. Our defence however was absolutely brilliant and time and time again we successfully defended our line. At one stage there I thought the Jets had about 4 continuous sets inside our quarter but still could not break through. Despite all the possession against us, we led 18-12 at half time after they scored literally on half time. Different 2nd half with our errors disappeared and the flood gates opening. We absolutely smashed them all over the park.

Key highlights for mine;

• Not seen a reserve grade side with this quality structure and commitment in defence for a long time. I don’t know much about the coach Steve Hales but my congratulations to him.
  • Hastings and Cullen had a field day and I could not split them for MOM honours. Terrific combination. Cullen is a dead set game breaker with his running game and hard defence on the bigger guys while Hastings is a brilliant little general and organiser out there. Also Hasting’s kicking yesterday was exceptional. Hastings already on our NRL bench but not sure how you keep Cullen in reserves.
  • Great debut from Taniela Paseka. This is a big kid with a big future and he stepped up nicely from NYC. Handled the bigger boys and faster pace well. Ran well and took a lot of putting down by the opposition. Once he learns his position in the defensive line, he will be ready for NRL. Very impressive for such a young guy.
  • Darcy Lussick was easily the best forward on the park. Hard and aggressive in both attack and defence and I don’t think he gave away one single penalty. Played most if not all of the 1st half and a good chunk of the 2nd half. He’s back, he’s fit and he is a must have in our starting 17 next week. I would start him with Kapow in the front row and seriously consider Lawrence, Perret and AFB on the bench. If that is not the best front row combination in the NRL then I am a bad judge. Lawrence can also easily cover back row. Definition of power right there and will win big games for us.
  • Brad Parker has speed to burn and split the Jet defence several times thanks to some great passes from Cullen and Hastings. Scored 2 tries and should have scored at least 2 more after spilling the ball with the line wide open. Should be playing NRL but how do you fit him in atm?
  • Billy Bainbridge, Jarred Kennedy and Jamil Hopoate also had a great day. These guys are not far off NRL.
  • Shaun Lane…if this guy could develop a mean streak or some aggression / mongrel in his game, I think he would be dangerous. He has everything else.
Great day and about 8,000 people there.

Excellent summary Silvereagle. Concise, smoothly written and covered the scope of the game well. Keep up the great work. You've got a journalistic talent there.

Excellent summary Silvereagle. Concise, smoothly written and covered the scope of the game well. Keep up the great work. You've got a journalistic talent there.

pffft what a load of rubbish... i didn't see one 'alleged', 'a source close to... tells us', no clutching at straws, nor was there a clickbait heading or photo not related to the article.
Sorry but old mate just won't make the cut in that world.

pffft what a load of rubbish... i didn't see one 'alleged', 'a source close to... tells us', no clutching at straws, nor was there a clickbait heading or photo not related to the article.
Sorry but old mate just won't make the cut in that world.

I guess I was referring to an ideal journalist. One who actually reports events accurately rather than making them up based on hear say and various agendas. Your point is well taken Superintendo. I hold my head in shame suggesting Silvereagle would stoop so low to match what we have as journos today. No insult intended Silvereagle. Please forgive.

bear in mind the Jets had some key players out who filled in for sharks NRL.

Interesting game at Henson Park yesterday. The 1st half was full of silly errors on our part in attack and as a result, the Jets had a glut of possession. Our defence however was absolutely brilliant and time and time again we successfully defended our line. At one stage there I thought the Jets had about 4 continuous sets inside our quarter but still could not break through. Despite all the possession against us, we led 18-12 at half time after they scored literally on half time. Different 2nd half with our errors disappeared and the flood gates opening. We absolutely smashed them all over the park.

Key highlights for mine;

• Not seen a reserve grade side with this quality structure and commitment in defence for a long time. I don’t know much about the coach Steve Hales but my congratulations to him.
  • Hastings and Cullen had a field day and I could not split them for MOM honours. Terrific combination. Cullen is a dead set game breaker with his running game and hard defence on the bigger guys while Hastings is a brilliant little general and organiser out there. Also Hasting’s kicking yesterday was exceptional. Hastings already on our NRL bench but not sure how you keep Cullen in reserves.
  • Great debut from Taniela Paseka. This is a big kid with a big future and he stepped up nicely from NYC. Handled the bigger boys and faster pace well. Ran well and took a lot of putting down by the opposition. Once he learns his position in the defensive line, he will be ready for NRL. Very impressive for such a young guy.
  • Darcy Lussick was easily the best forward on the park. Hard and aggressive in both attack and defence and I don’t think he gave away one single penalty. Played most if not all of the 1st half and a good chunk of the 2nd half. He’s back, he’s fit and he is a must have in our starting 17 next week. I would start him with Kapow in the front row and seriously consider Lawrence, Perret and AFB on the bench. If that is not the best front row combination in the NRL then I am a bad judge. Lawrence can also easily cover back row. Definition of power right there and will win big games for us.
  • Brad Parker has speed to burn and split the Jet defence several times thanks to some great passes from Cullen and Hastings. Scored 2 tries and should have scored at least 2 more after spilling the ball with the line wide open. Should be playing NRL but how do you fit him in atm?
  • Billy Bainbridge, Jarred Kennedy and Jamil Hopoate also had a great day. These guys are not far off NRL.
  • Shaun Lane…if this guy could develop a mean streak or some aggression / mongrel in his game, I think he would be dangerous. He has everything else.
Great day and about 8,000 people there.
@silvereagle I wish I could write like you feathered friend . Great read !!!

Great to hear that Darcy is back. Hopefully he can continue this in first grade. I was watching him closely when they played the Dragons and he was notably down on fitness and struggling to keep up with the play. Manly need him now that Myles has left and he needs to regain his stellar form from last year.

They always say there are 8000 there at Henson. It is their inside joke. usually really about 1000.

Following on from SilverEagle's top-notch match report, I came across the NSWRL's Team of the Week on their website, which features no fewer than FIVE Blacktown Eagles players. I think the best rap is given to Jamil Hopoate, who topped the tackle count for the entire round with 45...

1 - Honeti Tuha

Club: Wentworthville Magpies; TOTW selections: 0.

21 total runs, 204 total metres, three tries, two try-assists, three line-break-assists, two line-breaks, 12 tackle breaks, one offload.
Despite some early errors, Tuha proved to be instrumental in his team’s thumping win over the Wests Tigers with a brilliant individual performance. Scoring a hat-trick of tries while having a hand in two more, he posed as a constant threat with the ball in hand as he terrorised the defence with his nifty footwork and sheer speed. His two second-half tries sparked his side to eventually runaway with a comfortable victory.

2 - Bureta Faraimo
Club: Wentworthville Magpies; TOTW selections: 4.

17 total runs, 231 total metres, 73 post-contact metres, one try, two line-breaks, seven tackle-breaks, three offloads.
Having enjoyed significant success over the course of 2017, Faraimo again finds himself in the Team of the Week with another starring performance for the Magpies. His try sits him outright first on top of the competition try-scoring leaderboard, while his 231 running metres and seven tackle breaks were a testament to his hard-work throughout the entire 80 minutes.

3 - Brad Parker
Club: Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles; TOTW selections: 0.

11 total runs, 148 total metres, two tries, one line-break, four tackle-breaks, one offload, 10 tackles.
With the improved form of the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles, a host of players have stepped up to the plate to revive their season and Brad Parker has certainly found some form. His two tries came at crucial stages to seal the victory against the Jets, and will no doubt be looking to continue his run of form throughout the back-end of the season.

4 - Matt Ikuvalu
Club: Wyong Roos; TOTW selections: 1.

13 total runs, 165 total metres, one try, one line-break, seven tackle-breaks, eight tackles.
Ikuvalu again finds a spot in the Team of the Week after a strong display against the defending premiers on Saturday afternoon. When Illawarra got off to the perfect start with two quick tries, Ikuvalu sparked his side with their first four-pointer and continued to cause havoc for the defence with some darting carries out of his own end.

5 - George Jennings
Club: Wentworthville Magpies; TOTW selections: 3.

14 total runs, 154 total metres, two tries, two line-breaks, 11 tackle-breaks, three offloads.
Jennings rounds out the Magpies back three contingent for this week after another starring performance. He got off to the perfect side as he crossed for his side’s first two tries of the contest, but his work didn’t stop their as he constantly found himself charging through the middle third which some strong carries that resulted in 11 tackle breaks.

6 - Jackson Hastings

Two try-assists, two line-break-assists, three tackle-breaks, 24 tackles, seven goals.
Unable to cement a spot in Manly’s first grade side, Hastings put in a classy performance in the Workers' 40-14 victory over the Wests Tigers. He had a hand in two tries while also laying on two line-breaks for his team-mates, and showcased his astute kicking ability with 125 total kick metres and maintained a perfect kicking record with 7/7 conversions.

7 - Cameron Cullen (c)
Club: Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles; TOTW selections: 4.

10 total runs, 162 running metres, one try, one try-assist, two line-break-assists, three line-breaks, six tackle-breaks.
Joining his halves partner in this week’s Team of the Week, Cullen stole the show with an outstanding individual performance that sees him earn the captaincy for the Round 15 side. His potent running game saw him break the line on three occasions and run for a whopping 162 metres, and proved instrumental in his team’s victory with a try-assist and scoring one of his own.

8 - Kurt Dillon
Club: Newtown Jets; TOTW selections: 3.

17 total runs, 159 total metres, 53 post-contact metres, one try, one try-assist, one line-break-assist, one line-break, four tackle-breaks, 24 tackles, one offload.
Despite his team losing convincingly to the Sea Eagles, Kurt Dillon put in a valiant performance to say the least. He opened the scoring for his team in the 25th minute and had a hand in another soon after, and worked tirelessly in defence with 24 bone-crunching tackles throughout his 57 minute stint.

9 - Joey Lussick

One try, one try-assist, one line-break-assist, one line-break, 43 tackles, one offload.
Lussick continued his good form from previous weeks with another tough display from start to finish after crossing for the first try of the game in just the first minute. His 43 tackles came as no surprise with his defensive efforts consistent throughout the season, and showcased his playmaking skills with a crafty try assist to cap off a well-rounded game.

10 - Blake Lawrie
Club: Illawarra; TOTW selections: 2.

16 total runs, 165 total metres, 60 post-contact metres, two tackle-breaks, 32 tackles.
Despite Illawarra blowing an early lead that saw them eventually go down to the Roos, Lawrie fought hard from start to finish despite the scoreline. His 16 barging carries gave Illawarra a glimmer of hope as they looked for a much-needed victory, but were constantly on the back foot which saw him work hard for his 32 tackles.

11 - Justin Toomey-White
Club: Wyong Roos; TOTW selections: 1.

12 total runs, 100 total metres, one try, one line-break, two tackle-breaks, 31 tackles.
Justin Toomey-White earns himself back-to-back Team of the Week selections after another strong effort against Illawarra. His hard-fought 100 running metres were rewarded with a well-deserved try, and recorded 31 tackles which ranked second highest for his side.

12 - Luciano Leilua
Club: Illawarra; TOTW selections: 3.

Nine total runs, 64 total metres, one try-assist, one line-break-assist, four tackle-breaks, two offloads, 42 tackles.
Luciano Leilua was a shining light in a losing side as he worked his way through a mountain of work in his team’s defeat. He recorded a team-high 42 tackles in another hard-working 80 minute performance, while making just nine runs but still breaking through four tackles.

13 - Jamil Hopoate
Club: Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles; TOTW selections: 4.

18 total runs, 179 total metres, one try, one line-break, two tackle-breaks, two offloads, 45 tackles.
There seems to be no stopping Jamil Hopoate this season after another barnstorming display on Saturday afternoon. He played a strong platform for his halves to work their magic with 179 running metres, and played a starring role in gaining his team some momentum and earn valuable field position. His round-high 45 tackles capped off an incredible individual performance, and will be instrumental in his team’s charge towards the top eight.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2