Eagles fight to keep David 'Wolfman' Williams from the door

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24462812-5012431,00.html

Eagles fight to keep David 'Wolfman' Williams from the door

Font Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print Stuart Honeysett and Margie McDonald | October 08, 2008

FOLLOWING his selection yesterday in the Australian World Cup team, NRL premier Manly is facing a battle to retain cult hero David Williams when he comes off contract at the end of 2009.

The 22-year-old winger capped a remarkable season yesterday when he was selected in Australia's 24-man World Cup squad.

The "Wolfman" is one of six of Manly's grand final heroes chosen in the side.

Williams was recruited this season from the Hills District club in the Parramatta junior competition on a $55,000 minimum-wage contract plus match payments.

However, following his Australian selection, Williams's price tag is set to triple.

Manly has four other players off contract at the end of next season, three-try grand final winger Michael Robertson, halfback Matt Orford and forwards Heath L'Estrange and Glenn Hall.

Given the club has re-signed winger Michael Bani and recruited Parramatta's Tony Williams until the end of 2011, it is unlikely the Sea Eagles will be able to retain both David Williams and Robertson.

Working in Williams' favour is that the club perceives him as a possible replacement for departing centre Steve Bell, while Tony Williams could finish up in the forwards.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer admitted there were challenging times ahead for the club.

"Success at any NRL club creates complexities around the retention of the existing playing squad," he said. "We haven't discussed the retention of players beyond 2009 but I would suggest that would be one of (coach) Des Hasler's priorities in the very near future."

Williams just wants to continue celebrating Manly's premiership but is doing so without his trademark beard.

During a drunken night of celebrations on Monday night, Williams was set upon by several team-mates, including Robertson.

"We got all the boys around, had a beer and just sheared him like a sheep," said Anthony Watmough, who joins Williams in the Kangaroos squad.

"Robbo grabbed him and told him he could get it done happily or forcefully. He just accepted it."

Williams was a little hazy on the details yesterday, although he had several cuts under his chin as a reminder.

"Have a look at this. Fair dinkum, he nearly took my neck off," the 22-year-old said. "I was comatose and can't remember it. I have a few beverage companies to thank for that.

"Hopefully the Samson effect doesn't have any effect in the next couple of weeks. We'll just take is as it comes I suppose. I'm not too worried about it."

It has been quite a ride for Williams, the former Hills Bulls junior who could not even crack a first grade spot at Parramatta last season. But Manly recruitment officer Noel Cleal recognised his potential and ensured coach Des Hasler knew about it.

"He had a lot of injuries in the lower grades at Parramatta and was never able to string too many consecutive games together," Manly football manager Steve Gigg said.

"But Noel was dead-set certain that he was an NRL player."

Williams remembers the dark days all too well.

"It was Manly or back at the Hills -- nothing against Hills because I love the boys there but park footy or Manly -- it was no choice," Williams said yesterday.

The announcement of six Manly players in the Kangaroos squad, including the four debutants, Williams, Anthony Watmough, Glenn Stewart and Josh Perry, sent the ongoing rooftop party at the players' rented beachside apartment into raptures.

The Stewarts, Brett and Glenn, are the first brothers in an Australian squad since Andrew and Matthew Johns in 1995.

Another with much to celebrate was prop Josh Perry, who was cut by Newcastle coach Brian Smith at the end of 2007. Asked if he had anything to say to Smith, Perry replied: "Not at all. It's all water under the bridge."

Williams is also chuffed about his Wolfman nickname although he can't remember the origin of it.

"It only came when I came to Manly and I'm not sure if it started in the crowd or with the boys," he said. "It's something to relish. I'm fine with it."

He also has a tattoo of it on the top of his right foot. Maybe a kangaroo on the left foot might be appropriate.

I would hate to see him leave
surely we can find the cash to keep him

if it wasn't for Crusher and Des he would be playing A-Grade

Out of the five off contract players (Williams, Robbo, Hall, Le'Strange and Ox)  i wonder who'd get left out...  'Logically' i guess it would be Ox with his age the main reason.  Plus his wage would free up a heap of cash.

just typical post Grand final scare mongering, happens every year. Williams will probably stay, Robbo will probably leave. Either way they will both want to stay and I would be happy with both or either of them, though I have always liked the way Robbo plays too

it is funny i have heard 3 different set of events for the first brothers in the australia squad since....

First i heard the walters brothers
Then it was the Smith (jason and darren)
And the johns'.

I hope they can find room for both williams and bani and robbo. But out of the three the i would like to keep robbo and williams

Look, If Williams goes it just says something about his inner self.  He was hanging about the Hills District doing nothing before he came to us.  Twelve months later he's in the Australian side.  If he doesn't appreciate us enough to stay, then he can go.  I doubt he'll get the coaching and quality of club elsewhere.  He's good, but I'd hate the Mona's thing all over again.  Robbo won't leave and nor he should, he's a wonderful player and club man.  The Ox?  He can stay now that he's found his mojo and a winning way.  Only please Des, take the kicking duties away. 

Hopefully 1 of Bani or Williams can be turned into a centre, but that won't be an easy task at all. I want to keep all those 5 actually, but someone has to leave the squad i guess

I want to keep all 3 of them, leave Lyon at 6, and Bailey can be a bench utility sort of man that could cover the halves, backrow and centres possibly, in the sort of role Beaver has this season

DSM you expect him to stay when he may be able to make 3 or 4 times as much elsewhere.

Wingers are a dime a dozen. If he stays good luck to him but if he goes good luck also

Fro, I believe he's on 50 grand.  Surely he'll get the traditional upgrade, parity with what he's worth.  I didn't say I expect him to stay at Manly on less money than he could now make elsewhere.  It's just that we made the guy and he might take that into account when the begging bowls come around.  But I disagree with you that good wingers are a 'dime a dozen'.  There a plenty of bad ones running around, just ask Melbourne.   

and we should also put into account that we have 5 players representing Australia in the world cup. So that takes off another $100,000 off the salary cap. Not sure what type of bonus matia would have got but im sure this $100k amount could be even more.

I know it's a big ask but can't Ox take a small pay cut of some kind so we can keep David Williams I for one would not like to lose Williams he's an awesome player.

Ox will need to take more than a small paycut if he wants to stay, as Matas mentions he is at pension age by then so wont be on his 4 blocks of flats he is this year

Orford will be looking for a 3 year deal to finish his career, he won't get that at Manly, ESL for Orford in 2010.

I heard Beaver suggest to Manly on the News this arvo that Manly should make sure that they keep Orford at Manly for the rest of his career

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4