Dummy half Impact

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Before getting blasted I realise Matty Ballin is a quality 80 minute player.
In fact only held back from Qld status due to a future immortal in Cameron Smith.
The fact is with the speed of the game constantly increasing, the option of an explosive dummy half runner is integral, as Segeyaro proved constantly in 2013 for Penrith.
The new signing of Hodges could well add that option, personally have missed that spark we had when Le Strange would pop up & test the tiring central defenders.
Buhrer has been reasonable when used as an impact around the ruck but Hodges appears to have a little more dash & could prove handy in 2014.

This topic comes up at least twice a month. Yeah it would be great if we had a player like that. Have we had one in recent years? Arguably Buhrer has been playing that role (not very well) although he's been used as more of a backrower. Do we have one this year? Maybe in Hodges. But i'm not hearing heaps of positives about his pre-season. He is touted as a future Origin player. But then again, so was Tim Smith.

That style of play doesn't suit our attacking stucture. Our attack is organised from first receiver (left or right) not from the base of the ruck like Smith does for Melbourne. Ballin just needs to get the ball quickly and cleanly to DCE or Foz.

So our attack couldn't figure out how to get a 2nd rower or fullback running off a darting hooker 1-2 plays a set? We must be the stoopidest club in the country.

Don't need to - surely it's better that our fullback and 2nd rowers run off Foz or DCE wider than through the middle, both of them run to the line anyway. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

StuBoot said:
Don't need to - surely it's better that our fullback and 2nd rowers run off Foz or DCE wider than through the middle, both of them run to the line anyway. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Predictability can lead to failure.

A fourth option would make an already dangerous team even more lethal.

maxta said:
Before getting blasted I realise Matty Ballin is a quality 80 minute player.
In fact only held back from Qld status due to a future immortal in Cameron Smith.
The fact is with the speed of the game constantly increasing, the option of an explosive dummy half runner is integral, as Segeyaro proved constantly in 2013 for Penrith.
The new signing of Hodges could well add that option, personally have missed that spark we had when Le Strange would pop up & test the tiring central defenders.
Buhrer has been reasonable when used as an impact around the ruck but Hodges appears to have a little more dash & could prove handy in 2014.

Future Immortal????

Wrong, he is a current immortal filthy cheating grub. :D

Hodges will play plenty of first grade this year.

very, very good signing.

StuBoot said:

Great. Lets see your opinion when our inexperienced props get dominated in games and we start to crab.

I agree that the current structures have worked as proven by recent results.
The thing is, it does not mean we cant add to these structures adding variation & unpredictability....
If DCE & Foz are successful against a set defensive line, all hell will break loose against a retreating defence line who have been crippled in the middle of the ruck by sharp probing runs, with Snake or a winger close by awaiting an offload into open spaces.
It also weakens the defence outside, who are forced to conjest the ruck area promoting more space out wide, almost like dropping thru some kicks early in a game to set the wingers back to attack with an extra man.
Theres no doubt with the quality team available there will be plenty of points in the Seaeagles attack, personally like the ruck area tested & if we had a Segeyaro there the last 10 mins of each half, DCE & Foz will toy with the opposition imo.

Stevo said:
StuBoot said:

Great. Lets see your opinion when our inexperienced props get dominated in games and we start to crab.

Stevo, as you wrote above, we don't have that type of player at the moment so we go with what has been ( very )effective. If we had that type of player, then by all means, explore that option - Hodges has to prove himself. We're not the only team that runs with an 80 minute hooker with a better than average win/loss ratio.
I take it you don't have much faith in our props then.

Stevo said:
StuBoot said:

Blue Swimmer or Soft Shell?

The big question is will our inexperienced engine room get us enough go forward to make room for our creativite backs. If we get dominated up front the best backline in the world will be impotent.

StuBoot said:
Stevo said:
StuBoot said:

Stevo, as you wrote above, we don't have that type of player at the moment so we go with what has been ( very )effective. If we had that type of player, then by all means, explore that option - Hodges has to prove himself. We're not the only team that runs with an 80 minute hooker with a better than average win/loss ratio.
I take it you don't have much faith in our props then.

Not at all. I have a lot of faith in our young front row rotation. But against teams like Souths and the Roosters they will struggle for go forward.

Just watching the Cows v Sharks elimination final on Fox. The Cows looked so much more dangerous when Jayden was on rather than Rory. He played a fantastic game in that final. We have bought very well there. You'd put him in if you were behind and needed some spark to score. Wouldn't have him there yet if you were defending he is still green in that area.

The game last night showed dummy half running is the way to go in 2014. Sterling made the point late in the coverage.

Once the coaches work out there is no point trying to get to the edges for space by passing the ball that DCE, Foran & Manly did in 2013, it will be back to the Super League shoot, scoot and surrender rubbish within a month.

This rubbish below from Robinson shows where the game is won or lost in 2014. It's not about passing the ball and beating defenders. It's about getting a quick play the ball so there is no defence to beat. It is a rubbish version of league but the NRL is all about speeding the game up. They will get their wish but no one will watch it. Same as no one watched Super League in 1997 and it was very fast too.

Asked where the match was won, Robinson told the post-match press conference "definitely the ruck. They carried the ball well, they dropped to the ground well, they got some quick play-the-balls, and they controlled our carries really well. I thought they definitely won the ruck area," he said.

http://www.nrl.com/they-killed-us-in-the-ruck-robinson/tabid/10874/newsid/76617/default.aspx

Yeah i get where you are coming from. But i don't totally agree it will ruin things. What does ruin things is the ****ing NRL changing rules to combat strategies teams come up with.

The speed the ruck will be played at will be countered by a new defensive strategy someone will come up with and then the NRL will change that rule so it won't happen teams can't play like that and the cycle will continue. Just lwave it the way it is FFS.

Stevo said:
Yeah i get where you are coming from. But i don't totally agree it will ruin things. What does ruin things is the ... NRL changing rules to combat strategies teams come up with.

The speed the ruck will be played at will be countered by a new defensive strategy someone will come up with and then the NRL will change that rule so it won't happen teams can't play like that and the cycle will continue. Just lwave it the way it is FFS.

g'day all,how about they make blokes play the ball as the rule states and stop this touch footy style roll the ball between your legs thing.It might also help to reward a bloke for a one on one tackle around the legs by giving him time to get to marker rather than penalising him by allowing the attacker to have all the advantage.
cheers mike

Fifita and JWH seem to get away with it all the time. They get really quick play the ball and it puts their team at a great advantage. I've heard the referees call out JWH in play telling him to use his foot but they never penalise him when he doesn't and they especially ignore him when he does it from a break and the Rorters are alredy getting a roll on.

As for Fifita he seems to be able to do as he pleases. A lot of the time he his held upright when the ref calls tackled. Then while the tacklers still have hold he just puts the ball on the ground and walks over it. When he is tackled to ground he never fully gets up before rolling the ball backwards. Then the media all end up telling us how good he is at getting his team moving ahead.

Souths lost their first try last night for their player playing the ball just like Fifita does every game and never gets penalised.

But you watch Choc get pinged tomorrow night. It will happen.

It can become touch footy like & there's another fact that backs this up.
Noticed players walking foward thru the ruck , off the mark often to the side of the marker allowing the dummy half to scoot with the backpeddling ruck defence in tatters.
This needs to be pulled up in 2014 early or this ploy will make a mockery of the solid grinding base rugby league was built on.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6