Dragons join World Club Series

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
ST GEORGE Illawarra have become the third team from the NRL to accept an invitation to play in February’s World Club Series in the United Kingdom.

The Dragons, who last participated in the tournament in 2011, join the Rabbitohs and Brisbane Broncos from the NRL.

“The Dragons have a unique place in the history of the sport and Super League fans will look forward to seeing them in the series,” Super League general manager Blake Solly said.

“Having tasted success in the 2011 World Club Challenge, it is fitting the Dragons are the third representative from the NRL.

“With the Wigan Warriors, St Helens and Warrington Wolves confirmed as Super League’s participating clubs, excitement is already building for the Series.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/dragons-heading-for-the-world-club-series-in-uk/story-fni3g9a3-1227084218504

The poms probably can't wait to see what's his name and that other bloke from the dragons go round.

This is just a mickey mouse tournament all about money and apart from souffs teams that failed miserably this season..

Im greatful that our club is not involved.

It is not a serious football tournament but it is an opportunity to promote a club's brand and maybe to check out some possible pommie signings.

its also a way of giving the players more money outside the salary cap thus further increasing the handicaps for some sides which is the goal of the NRL it seems

NRL

It was souths and broncos + the premiers.

Why souths and the broncos? Well they are struggling to need more expesure and financial help......

NRL Head of Football Todd Greenburg said the inclusion of the three Australian teams gives them the chance to show off on a bigger world stage.

“It is a chance for our teams to go head-to-head with the best in the UK to determine the best rugby league clubs in the world,” he said.

“Fans already love seeing the best from Australia play the best from Britain but this tournament will showcase three of the top clubs in the NRL.

I wonder if Greenberg kept a straight face when he described the teams who finished 3rd, 8th and 11th in the regular season as "the best from Australia" and "three of the top clubs in the NRL"?

Maybe that's why he said 'clubs' instead of 'teams.'

But tis unlike him to cover himself 6 ways from Sunday.

Packer plans to take the Vermin global. Following this tournament I understand they are playing Manchester United, then across the ditch to play Toulon, then onto a plane to play the New York Yankees, before breaking their journey home to contest the Hawaiian Iron Man.

As NRL premiers (*cough cough spew*) I can understand the Vermin being there this time around.....

The WCC has turned to crap, just like it did in 1997 with SL. I saw a number of those 1997 games when Adelaide played Leeds, Salford and Oldham. 1997 was a case of quantity and not quality. History is now repeating.

Manly does not seem to offer a good enough product for the NRL.

Shame really.

But it does help Manly in terms of 2015 premiership success. No eventless WCC games, no players selected for origin, and Manly players excusing themselves from 4 nations should ensure the team is fresh and firing at the business end of next year rather than tiring themselves in useless events.

Greenberg is such a rotten administrator I don't think even he knows what he is creating.

NYEagle

The poms will never agree to 3 good teams going over. They want at least a couple of Pom victories!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7