Does anyone else feel like this, a major worry??!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
This is the first time in many years where I could not be bothered going to Parra tonight, this grinding submission stuff does win games ala 2007 but won't win fans. It costs me around 80-100 bucks when I drive up from Wollongong and last couple of matches I have driven home going that was boring etc and will wait till we start to entertain. I think about the way we will play tonight and it disapoints me!! I miss the attack driven stuff that we used to play!!

I have supported the Eagles for over 25 years so disloyalty ain't a factor. Watching the game with Roosters etc the other weeks why can't we get back to the entertaining stuff and NO, I DON'T WANT TO GO FOR THE ROOSTERS!!!!!!!! Just wish that our play would be more enjoyable, I know that a win is the bottom line but still want to enjoy my maroon and white!! 

With all this talk of "grinding into submission" etc will that turn away a generation of fans who want to be entertained, look at Chelsea soccer club, they constantly grind teams into submission but Manchester United will win the comp with entertaining play, funny that Chelsea struggle to fill its stadium with multi million dollar talent and cannot fill stadiums in away matches like Arsenal and Man United etc , I read that Manly were not far from the bottom in 2007 in home crowd attendances even with coming first all year literally. Is this a problem??? What do you all think about these points

Its not how we have always played though Darren. You can only play with what you have, and our players and coach should be commended for making the Grand Final last year, as I dont really believe that we had the stock to do so. I also think that last year was a particularly weak year as far as competition goes.

That is showing this year.

Not a true supporter ;)

We don't have someone capable of driving/delivering an entertaining style of attack at the moment, nor a coach who looks likely to encourage it.

We have some talented footballers capable of some razzle dazzle, Lyon, Stewart x 2, Bani, Cuthbo, Beaver & Choc, but we don't have a ball player capable of utilising this talent at the moment.

Would you rather we went down trying to look good and throwing the ball around, or ground out wins and stayed in touch with the 8 ? We'd all love a return to the glory days of the 90's, but we have to walk before we run. Keep the faith

very good point clontaago, it probably more about the type of personnel and positions that shape the team. This is so true!! I felt we did it well last year but are struggling to replicate the type of footy this year! Have teams worked us out?? Is the loss of Monas changed our play until we sign a 5/8 etc??

I remember Chip and Chase that banter about being a 'true supporter" didn't that stir the pot, quite funny though!! you are correct, we do have some amazing talents but missing the link to spark it, I agree with Cliffy and yourself though, wins are a must, anyone who doesn't want that well!!! ::) imagine though a ball playing 5/8 in our team taking the pressure off Orford, I don't think I would be writing this grinding email

Chip & Chase link said:
Not a true supporter ;)

Would you rather we went down trying to look good and throwing the ball around, or ground out wins and stayed in touch with the 8 ? We'd all love a return to the glory days of the 90's, but we have to walk before we run. Keep the faith

If only we could find another Cliff Lyons..................

Honestly Darren, I like you, am feeling pretty flat about League at the moment (as much as I want to lift.) I think the reason is that we are 2 from 5 to start the season (maybe 2 from 6 after tonight), we were beaten by a 50+ scoreline in a trial, and hammered in the last game we played last year. You then add to that that our roster hasn't improved from 07. Hicks was quite a player, and we always had depth in the 1/2's, now we are scraping the bottom of the barrel in the 1/2's. I mean - Koala is playing 5/8 in Premier League, and for that reason alone, recruitment need to be hung, drawn and quartered. You then consider that we are struggling to get the players over the line who we need (Tupou / Carney and co.)
If we go on a run of 4-5 games - we will be back happy as larry I reckon. The problem is we are looking consistently flat, slow, and lack energy or something?

I dunno mate, I agree with you I think. I just feel I'm going to have to push myself to use the flexi-passes I bought pre-season.

I have tickets to the Souths / Manly game @ ANZ in the Nab corporate box, so that'll be pretty cool. I've got the box completely booked out...and The Nab Bank Rabbits will have its box filled with only Manly fans - LoL.

We are lacking options at the moment.. Ballin doesnt seem confident in his abilities... the difference that Monas gave us at hooker was huge.. as when Orford was left of the play... Monas had the vision and saw something to the right and ran it that way confidently.. if it didnt work tough but sometimes it did and we had options...

Ballin at the moment just is playing solid.. give it to Orford.. so every team knows where the ball is going and thats what Billy Slater said on the footy show too. Therefore there is too much pressure on Orford..hes **** as it is let alone when theres a bit of pressure..

So unfortunately for dummy halves at Manly... they need to have that extra responsibility as we do not have the luxury of a 5/8 or a quality half to run the show. Ballin needs to start backing himself and go away from Orford or start Heath in his place. Whether Ballin has it in him remains to be seen..

I also think Stewart has to start getting more involved.. Lockyer style (when he was at fullback).. needs to get his hands on the ball more... an example was the try we scored (only one) against Melbourne.. was all Stewart.

Hi Ryan, I'm sorry mate, I appreciate your honesty but I don't really know you but I'm sorry but I'm into chicks lol  ;) :D :eek:

Check out your first five words in your post lol, now seriously,

ryan, it is a hard slog, I know what you mean, they just seem to be going thru the motions, the lack of creativity will stop us winning a premiership, this current game plan against the storm won't help us knock them off, slater was right but gee it's pretty obvious for anyone with a reasonable bit of footy knowledge, our long kicking game is a big reason too as we get no good field position 

I've been following Manly since Bob Batty was fullback, through the good and the bad. But i will be buggered if i can put my finger on just what the present problem is, I think Orford Lyon Watmough and King are all playing equal if not better than last year and Bani is going well for a youngster but the rest just seem slightly jaded.
I'm not sure how Ryan makes up those yarts or the voting system Dan does but it would be interesting to put the team up and see how others compare individual players form from last year to this year.
PS: Bag me out for being an old guy and not being to computer savvy, bit try not to put sh1t on me for just getting in there and enjoying the forum.

I think our real problem is the forwards, Kite is 50%, Bryant is 20% of last year. Glen S is down as well while Beaver/willo has been swapping between backrow & 5/8.

Combined with loss of Monas I believe our effectiveness in the engine room is about 75% of what it was in 07 - therefore we are losing games we won last year.

We lost two players from last year.

Hicks, who has been capably replaced by Bani

Monas, who is probably being missed more than some of us would like to admit. Ballin really hasn't set the world on fire, but he can't be entirely blamed for our current lack of form.

I don't agree that Orford is playing as good as last year, nor Lyon for that matter. Orford has struggled under the weight of being the full time "go to" man, and defences are pressuring him because we don't seem to have options. On top of that our kicking game in general has been pretty poor. Add to this that we are probably missing Matai's input (hard to say that without choking) and Bell is a passenger. Go forward hasn't been there as effectively as last year either (maybe the reduced interchanges have affected our bigger guys)

I'm hoping it'll click soon and we'll find the right balance with the squad we have, as we can't really to anything about the cattle, Des has just got to try and be a bit dynamic.  No Choc for a few weeks is a big blow though.

Monas was a half
orford is a half

We therefore had 2 people capable of playing in the halves

We now have 1 and a proper hooker

Of course we wont be as creative

Chip & Chase link said:
We lost two players from last year.

Hicks, who has been capably replaced by Bani

Monas, who is probably being missed more than some of us would like to admit. Ballin really hasn't set the world on fire, but he can't be entirely blamed for our current lack of form.

I don't agree that Orford is playing as good as last year, nor Lyon for that matter. Orford has struggled under the weight of being the full time \"go to\" man, and defences are pressuring him because we don't seem to have options. On top of that our kicking game in general has been pretty poor. Add to this that we are probably missing Matai's input (hard to say that without choking) and Bell is a passenger. Go forward hasn't been there as effectively as last year either (maybe the reduced interchanges have affected our bigger guys)

I'm hoping it'll click soon and we'll find the right balance with the squad we have, as we can't really to anything about the cattle, Des has just got to try and be a bit dynamic.  No Choc for a few weeks is a big blow though.

Mate, we had Burns also to fill in if needed. Groom may have stepped up - who knows? Then consider Halden got a pretty long term injury.

But I agree with everything you said.

We have just lost way too mjuch depth in the 1/2's. I mean - at least with us Burns was being picked. Now he's not even getting game time ! Can we get him back?

Sorry I forgot about Burns, easy enough to do I suppose as he was on the outer towards the end of the season anyway.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4