Do we have an Enforcer this year?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
0,5001,5113822,00.jpg

Are enforcers still allowed to play the game ..... are they still viable ....

I think you need to be tough, uncompromising and hard hitting in defense .... I think I would settle for hard hitting in defense ...

... and hunting as a pack ..

Last edited:
With Barrett no longer here... the forwards will all probably appear to be enforcing the importance of defence. Our for and against is due for a major revamp under Dessie. Tackling bags are all the rage this off season... although they did cause the players a little confusion about what they might be when the coaching staff rolled them out. Considering the fact that most of the boys hadn’t been anywhere near one for three seasons.

Last edited:
See Woodsie above -
But get the Thread 100%
A Josh Jackson type is todays enforcer as the bigger boys getting rough = 5 penalties a game and basically reduces your possession rate by 10%

One thing that's getting annoying over the last few years is constantly mentioning how much a player can lift in the gym, as it that has any importantce once they hit the field..
I'm a solid fella, and used to do removals around Sydney a few years back.. Every few weeks ide move a muscle bound gym junkie who had muscles ontop of muscles, and they'd help out.. Half way thru lifting they'd pike it.. Sweat bullets and need to stop while we kept going all day long.. How much you can bench or squat means absolutely f@$K all

One thing that's getting annoying over the last few years is constantly mentioning how much a player can lift in the gym, as it that has any importantce once they hit the field..
I'm a solid fella, and used to do removals around Sydney a few years back.. Every few weeks ide move a muscle bound gym junkie who had muscles ontop of muscles, and they'd help out.. Half way thru lifting they'd pike it.. Sweat bullets and need to stop while we kept going all day long.. How much you can bench or squat means absolutely f@$K all
Agree mate , I'm 85 kg and 6 ft tall and have always had remarkable strength . Even as a young fella , mates would spend hours in the gym and were as weak as piss . Funny really whenever i see one of these show ponys walking through work with barrels under there arms i have a little cackle to myself.

It’s one of our “ missing links” at present , the hard hitter second row / lock who can play 80 minutes or close to it.

Let’s face it Thompson and Sironen are lanky, hard running second towers who are fair tacklers

Yes I know we have Jurbo but he can’t do it all .

Your Josh Jackson , Angus Crighten type player is who we should be targeting from 2020.

Depends on what the enforcer is enforcing.

If he's a Choc-type player with a bit of push-and-shove in his game, then we don't really have an Enforcer as such. Let's face it, who's game to tangle with Marty!

However, I think @Woodsie 's description is pretty apt and imo AFB is the player.

I did removals as a weekend job for a mate years ago.
There was this Maori bloke who was kinda unfit and around 6 foot 4, I witnessed him bear hug a full sized fridge and carry it up a flight of stairs.
I was young at the time and never thought it possible especially from a bloke who was a little sloppy.

I knew a bodybuilder once who did some removals for a short while, too slow and bugger all stamina. I did removals for 13 years, you need endurance balance and smarts.

Its not that hard. The balance is needed for getting home after work when you are usually pissed (the old days!)

I did removals as a weekend job for a mate years ago.
There was this Maori bloke who was kinda unfit and around 6 foot 4, I witnessed him bear hug a full sized fridge and carry it up a flight of stairs.
I was young at the time and never thought it possible especially from a bloke who was a little sloppy.
That's right.. I mean, look at front rowers from the 90s.. Not one of them has the physique of the guys playing these days.. I bet not one of them could bench or squat what guys like marty can. But I tell ya what, ide take a 90s style front rower any day of the week over the gymbots we have playing today .seems like football up front is all about what you can do in a gym, forget about actual football ability

That's right.. I mean, look at front rowers from the 90s.. Not one of them has the physique of the guys playing these days.. I bet not one of them could bench or squat what guys like marty can. But I tell ya what, ide take a 90s style front rower any day of the week over the gymbots we have playing today .seems like football up front is all about what you can do in a gym, forget about actual football ability

You would never peg someone who looked like say, Glenn Lazarus, for being someone who could go the full 80. But he and others like him did that week in, week out and were often going as hard in the 79th minute as they were in the 1st. These days, props especially are on for 15-20 minutes, then usually aren't seen again until the second half. And some of them, even with supposedly improved fitness, are still running out of gas towards the end of their 20 minute stints.

Its all well and good being a gym junkie and being a power lifter type, but it really means squat if aerobically you have zip. Having muscles everywhere doesn't mean you have stamina.

But then, that's the nature of the game these days. The general thought seems to be that the fresher the middle forwards are, the better. Thus we have the starting props and often at least 2, maybe 3 on the bench. And they all get similar game time.

With Barrett no longer here... the forwards will all probably appear to be enforcing the importance of defence. Our for and against is due for a major revamp under Dessie. Tackling bags are all the rage this off season... although they did cause the players a little confusion about what they might be when the coaching staff rolled them out. Considering the fact that most of the boys hadn’t been anywhere near one for three seasons.
I know where your coming from . Under Des we will see a different attitude from the players . Des is definitely a different character pedigree to Trent . Des will instill the psychological edge of mental toughness that was lacking last season . We lost many close games because of lack of resilience and self belief under Trent .

Last edited:
I've always seen the role of an enforcer to protect the smaller players.
Personally i think we have enough size and toughness up front to not warrant having a dedicated enforcer.

AFB, Thommo, Taupau, Sironen, Tanginoa etc can all hold their own. Don't need them doing anything than running and tackling hard.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4