Discard Symonds set to haunt Roosters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
By Steve Jancetic
AAP
6:02pm Sun 29th September, 2013

Sydney Roosters juniors are as rare as, well, hen's teeth, but it is one dressed in enemy colours threatening to spoil the party on Sunday night.

Read More

By Steve Jancetic
AAP
6:02pm Sun 29th September, 2013

Sydney Roosters juniors are as rare as, well, hen's teeth, but it is one dressed in enemy colours threatening to spoil the party on Sunday night.

Essentially let go by the club to help accommodate big off-season recruits Sonny Bill Williams and Michael Jennings, Tom Symonds has found a home for himself coming off the bench for Manly - the Roosters' opponents in Sunday's NRL grand final.

Born in Paddington and playing his junior football for Bondi United, they don't get much more Roosters junior than Symonds.

But with the arrival of Williams and emergence of Boyd Cordner along with holdovers Aidan Guerra, Mitch Aubusson and Frank-Paul Nuuausala all ahead of him in the pecking order, Symonds knew his best chance of a top grade start lay elsewhere.

Watch every game of the NRL Finals Series LIVE from just $5.49 per week on your iPhone and iPad or $14.99 per month on your Android Smartphone

And so he found a club willing to take him in just days before the start of the season in Manly - and he hasn't looked back since.

"I've always been confident in my own ability to play at this level," Symonds said after the Sea Eagles had upset South Sydney to advance to the decider.

"It was just a matter of two things - getting an opportunity to establish myself as a regular player and touch wood I haven't had too many injuries this year.

"A combination of those two things probably held me back the last few years and fortunately this year it's worked out a lot better for me."

So good that he will now have a chance at proving a few Roosters doubters they were wrong to let him go, even if it did help bring in one of the game's most dominant figures in dual international Williams.

But Symonds has nothing but goodwill towards the Roosters.

"Plenty of good mates there and some good memories, but in saying that, I've got no regrets about leaving," he said.

"It's been an awesome year, I'm really happy I made the move."

That move could yet result in a premiership ring.

With the Sea Eagles boasting a wealth of experienced finals campaigners, Symonds and fellow finals rookie Brenton Lawrence and Justin Horo have emerged as key planks in the side.

Symonds says the benefits of his teammates' experience was invaluable, as evidenced by the manner in which they turned a 14-0 deficit against the Rabbitohs on Friday night into a convincing 30-20 win.

"That's where experience comes in," Symonds said.

"It's something, for myself, learning from the older boys all year is they're pretty calm about things and having that calming influence allowed us to refocus."

http://www.nrl.com/discard-symonds-set-to-haunt-roosters/tabid/10874/newsid/74891/default.aspx

T-Red should get more game than normal with Richie being out. He has a big role to play in bringing energy from the bench. He's also bigger than many people think, so he can handle those Easts bully-boys.

TRed has been a fantastic addition to our team, he so reminds me of a young Beaver. We have also ha great value out of Lawrence and Horo too. Shrewd recruiting from our coaching team.

I feel we haven't seen the best of him yet. He's been good in limited roles so far, and I'm sure he'll do well in the grand final. I think he joined us very late in the piece, but with a full Sea Eagles off-season he could be outstanding next year.

I agree. I think t red should get more game time seeing richie is out.

He has been great all year. Brings a great amount of energy to our bench.

I have a good feeling about T-Red and this big game. He is going to have a major influence on the result. And I can also feel Wolfie getting a hat-trick.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I'm sure he'd never pimp his hat.
Le.

Hat prices (off season)

$5 to touch

$10 and it'll do a cartwheel

$15 and you can wear it!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4