Did we miss ..... ?????

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
This time last year some were gnashing their teeth and cutting their wrists at the loss of Aaron Groome and Travis Burns.

Whilst both got to play some first grade in their respective clubs, neither were really missed and despite their ambition to be first graders, I am not sure that either will make it. Groome was sharp as a sub in a few games for the Dogs but his defense is a huge liability. Burns did not set the world on fire and didn't achieve his ambition of a regular top grade spot. (He would have played more top grade at Manly whilst Orford was injured in my view.)

These two add to the list of players going backwards once leaving the Eagle's nest. Views????

Lately we don't seem to lose many of our first graders to other clubs in the NRL.  Fringe players like Burns, Steppa, Jack A go elsewhere and most sink, but they would have at Manly anyway.  We seem to have developed a staying culture for those with talent.  Our regular first graders who leave seem to go to ESL.  Is that a loyalty thing or just that their coming to the end of a career and go, with the club's blessing, for a large lowtaxed superannuation payout rather than to another NRL club .     

Burns will find a home somewhere, hes got some ability, but wont go anywhere up there while Thurston calls the shots.

Groome on the other hand will not go anywhere till he learns how to tackle

I think that we missed Monnas a lot more last year than either Burns or Groome. 

Ballin's kicking game is nowhere near as good as Monnas was.  Ballin can't even kick it over the dead ball line so what use is he?

Ballin was one of our best in my view. The loss of Monas was the best thing that could have happened to Manly, for lots of reasons. Despite all the commentary crap it was great to not have him. We had one halfback. (Only time we could have done with him was when Orford was injured and Robson was half.

i agree Monas was a halfback playing in a hooker role, and whilst playing hooker he was still playing like a halfback. Whereas Ballin IS a dumy half and hes feed to the first receivers was top quality HENCE the reason we are 2008 premiers witha high chance to go back to back.

Having watched the end of season games on video I noticed how much Lyon does that was pivotal to our success. They were only little things but it transformed us and gave us a real direction in attack, and stopped the gaps in defence.

I see Paul Stephenson was released by the loser sharks.  Where is the Fonz?

I have it on pretty good authority that Thurston doesn't like Burns as a 5/8th.  So his future probably lies in England I'd say.

Fluffster, The trouble with Burn's defense its that it was all about the head region.  He should have looked and learnt from Beaver.  Mata, I actually liked Steppa, not that he was up to our first grade standard, but he was a workman like player, not brilliant, but adequate.  The trouble is when he went to the Gummies their stupid coach seemed to put him in the second row a lot.  It's not like they had a brilliant backline anyway.  Stuart is such a tool. 

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbylea...Sheffield.html

Eagles tip Groom for greatness
5 hours ago

Scrum-half Aaron Groom has become the fourth member of Fiji's World Cup semi-final team to sign up for the 2009 Co-operative Championship.

The 21-year-old, who is joining Sheffield Eagles from Canterbury Bulldogs, has been hailed as the south Yorkshire club's biggest signing for 10 years.

"The signing of a player of this quality will make people sit up and it shows that this club is on the way up," said Eagles chief executive Mark Aston.

Groom, who played in all four World Cup games for Fiji, will be joined in the Championship by hooker Waisale Suka, stand-off Alipate Noilea and centre Seva Koroi, who were also in the team that lost 52-0 to Australia in the semi-finals and have signed for newly-promoted Barrow.

The Eagles have a history of signing Fijians, most notably Waisale Sovatabua, who was a member of the 1998 Challenge Cup-winning team.

Groom is Sheffield's fourth World Cup signing following the acquisition of Samoa utility back Tangi Ropati and Papua New Guineans Menzie Yere and Trevor Exton.

Groom's defense was worse than Jack's.  He didn't do much at the Dogs, there again no one did, but good luck to him wherever he plays.

I think Canteen may have been alluding to my disappointment at the loss of Burns and Groome. Actually, especially with Burns - I was filthy.

To that end, I think it's pretty harsh judging his year from 2007/2008 at The Cowgirls. Their whole play would have revolved around one of the best players in the world being Thurston. Their whole game plan went out the window. They were ravaged with injuury to key players (O'Donnell, Thurston, Bowen, Tronc and Southern to name but a few). Take Brett Stewart, Matt Orford, Glenn Stewart, Brent Kite & say Anthony Watmough out of our team, and see how Jamie Lyon would go slotting into the 1/2 back role.

We'll get a better picture this year.

Groome on the other hand looked terrible when given the opportunity. Again, with an injury depleted team though. No SBW, Tonga, Patten, Utai etc. He'd have mountains of players before him now though - Roberts, Barba, Kimmorley, Holdsworth, Sullivan, heck, even Stagg would get a shot before him now.

He'll be playing with Jye Mullane soon I reckon. A forgotten League prospect. I was definitely wrong there.

And then Dessie just ups, and replaces him with Hodgkinson....and Australian rep player ! Foran to me looks brilliant. Cherry-Evans so, so. With Des investing in Hodgkinson, I don't know what that says about Evans. Maybe Darren could shed some light.

BUt understand what you are saying Canteen - I was pretty rash. My calls that I remember:-

1. Robertson can't score a try (before he got here I said that);
2. Rose was overweight and would be rubbish;
3. Hall would be rubbish;
4. We'd struggle without Monna's, Hicks and co. I think I told Byso that 2007 would be as good as it gets;

Yup, I have a good strike rate !

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7