Development players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Smokin Joe

Bencher
Was just reading an article which was talking about the rule changes to development players for next year.It suggests that guys signed to a development contract can play in the NRL after the June 30 deadline for player movement between clubs has past.(As opposed to previous years where clubs had to get permission)
Anyone know more or can confirm or deny these changes?If true then good news for guys like Keppie,Anderson,etc... if they are needed or impress enough.....

That's a good rule change. Whats the point of a development contract if you can't develop them into first grade. Might explain why the club gave one of the spots to Croker despite him already having played NRL. It's a bit of insurance for halves depth.

Also I would add,
As soon as you are out of contention you can play whoever you want. Under 20's, top 30, outside the 30.
Not the rules but just my logic.

Also I would add,
As soon as you are out of contention you can play whoever you want. Under 20's, top 30, outside the 30.
Your logic is sound! Clubs should be allowed to look to the future when they are out of contention as it’s not like the AFL where tanking could deliver draft pick priority.

Your logic is sound! Clubs should be allowed to look to the future when they are out of contention as it’s not like the AFL where tanking could deliver draft pick priority.
Could help clubs keep up-and-coming players by blooding them.

Also I would add,
Only thing is you will get clubs on the fringe of the eight complaining that teams playing those developement players are getting an unfair advantage and maybe affecting their chances of success.

Would take strong leadership because clubs will look to rort the system. Teams like the broncos with development players right throughout the Q cup.

But will they need to be a part of our top 30 or is it a top 30 + them?
Can't be 100% sure mate,but looks like they can be used even if their position can be filled by other players in the roster(the example is Fainu not being able to be used because they felt someone else could play the position).It looks like it "may" be possible to use them.There is also an interesting thing I did not know about...if a player spends 2 years on a clubs development squad then they receive a 10% discount against the cap as long as they remain with that club.For example,if Anderson turns out to be a success and he has spent 2 years on our development squad,we get a 10% discount on his contract against the cap.We could sign him for $300K and get $30K discount against cap(if he is a success....)

Can't be 100% sure mate,but looks like they can be used even if their position can be filled by other players in the roster(the example is Fainu not being able to be used because they felt someone else could play the position).It looks like it "may" be possible to use them.There is also an interesting thing I did not know about...if a player spends 2 years on a clubs development squad then they receive a 10% discount against the cap as long as they remain with that club.For example,if Anderson turns out to be a success and he has spent 2 years on our development squad,we get a 10% discount on his contract against the cap.We could sign him for $300K and get $30K discount against cap(if he is a success....)

Always a font of knowledge Smokin'. Thanks

That's a good rule change. Whats the point of a development contract if you can't develop them into first grade. Might explain why the club gave one of the spots to Croker despite him already having played NRL. It's a bit of insurance for halves depth.
Agree,if you are having a successful season,it is useful to give a young guy a bit of first grade for the experience(and you can afford to do it without jeopardizing your season).If you are having a horrendous run of injuries you are probably not in contention,but good to have depth if you have a position that gets hit hard by injuries,and if you are not in contention then it is good to blood a young player or 2 for the chance to see what they have.I always liked Bozo in years gone by where he would give a young talent a game or 2 or part of a game off the bench,if the side was going well.

Nrl

A change to rule on NRL Development players will allow any player on the development list to play NRL without exemption permission post June 30
So by reading that a player from the development squad can only play in the NRL after June 30.
Seems like an odd rule, I wonder if it's tied into the mid year player transfer rule?

So by reading that a player from the development squad can only play in the NRL after June 30.
Seems like an odd rule, I wonder if it's tied into the mid year player transfer rule?
With exemption they can play prior to June 30.

This rule will motivate the D-Squad :nod:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4