Dessie's legacy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Record in Grand finals 2 from 5

That's 40%

Pretty bad for a so called top tier coach

Bennett is at 100 so is Bellamy in non asterisk Grand Finals, Madge and Robinson are also unbeaten, as is Flanigan, Cartwright, Potter, Griffin and Peter Sharp, my word! That's a lot of unbeaten coaching talent when it comes to the big dance

If Toovey wins Manly a gf next time we make it he'll have a 50% win rate in Grand Finals which without the intervention of Hayne would've been 100% which is an astounding 10% better than Des, or 60%

I though Hasler did an outstanding job.
He had his bulldogs right there at 6-12 with 10 minutes to go. I don't think any other coach in the NRL would have acheived that with that squad.
Loved hsi tactic to keep Graham, Pritchard and Eastwood all fresh and launching them in around the 55 minute mark. Had a few things gone their way they could have won and it would have been a masterstroke.

Love him or hate him 5 out of the last 8 grand finals is also an outstanding achievement.

He's a supercoach - just like Toovs will be in a few more years,

NYEagle

Wait only 40% of GFC made but his percentage of making the gf vs other coaches or time at club he is the best of those

Dan said:
Wait only 40% of GFC made but his percentage of making the gf vs other coaches or time at club he is the best of those

Joke thread but it's no point turning up to the dance if you're just going to trip over 3 times out of 5

2014 was a Bradbury

cherry_poppins said:

That's 40%

Bennett is at 100 so is Bellamy in non asterisk Grand Finals, Madge and Robinson are also unbeaten, as is Flanigan, Cartwright, Potter, Griffin and Peter Sharp, my word! That's a lot of unbeaten coaching talent when it comes to the big dance

If Toovey wins Manly a gf next time we make it he'll have a 50% win rate in Grand Finals which without the intervention of Hayne would've been 100% which is an astounding 10% better than Des, or 60%

I know it's tongue in cheek at Dessie's expense, but Bellamy lost in 06 and 08 with a club playing over the cap, so 100% in non asterisk grand finals carries no sway in this argument; quite the contrary actually :D

I despise this guy, but I do think he is a damn good coach. Outside of Bellamy, and maybe Bennett (circa 1989-2010), no other coach could turn a teams form around from a 19-18 loss in round 26 to the lowly Titans, to a grand final a month later having beating Melbourne (in Melbourne), Manly, and a red hot Penrith side.

The talk concerning him having an average roster is a bit of stretch though; Perrett, Morris, Lafai, Reynolds, Hodkinson, Tolman, Graham, Ennis, Williams, Eastwood, Pritchard, Klemmer, and Kasiano would be welcome additions at just about every club in the competition (except Manly because we hate Dogs). Personally, I don't rate Hodkinson (who played in a dinner suit as usual tonight), but the point still stands; plenty of clubs would take him for his boot.

cherry_poppins said:
Dan said:

Joke thread but it's no point turning up to the dance if you're just going to trip over 3 times out of 5

2014 was a Bradbury

This was my bread and butter, and the reason I get so many Father's Day cards

Snake said:
cherry_poppins said:

That's 40%

I know it's tongue in cheek at Dessie's expense, but Bellamy lost in 06 and 08 with a club playing over the cap, so 100% in non asterisk grand finals carries no sway in this argument; quite the contrary actually :D

I despise this guy, but I do think he is a damn good coach. Outside of Bellamy, and maybe Bennett (circa 1989-2010), no other coach could turn a teams form around from a 19-18 loss in round 26 to the lowly Titans, to a grand final a month later having beating Melbourne (in Melbourne), Manly, and a red hot Penrith side.

The talk concerning him having an average roster is a bit of stretch though; Perrett, Morris, Lafai, Reynolds, Hodkinson, Tolman, Graham, Ennis, Williams, Eastwood, Pritchard, Klemmer, and Kasiano would be welcome additions at just about every club in the competition (except Manly because we hate Dogs). Personally, I don't rate Hodkinson (who played in a dinner suit as usual tonight), but the point still stands; plenty of clubs would take him for his boot.

06 and 08 were cheating years, his only real attempt was 12

cherry_poppins said:
Snake said:
cherry_poppins said:

That's 40%

06 and 08 were cheating years, his only real attempt was 12

Yes, but he attempted victory with a club over the cap, which naturally heightens his chance of success, rather than compromising it. Therefore, insinuating that Bellamy has somehow been more successful in grand finals than Des, is false. In saying that, I get that you are attacking Hasler and I fully endorse such behaviour :D

Personally, I think the NRL is 75% squad and 25% coaching. Manly in 2008 was a by product of Crusher getting Killer and the effect of guys like BK as Beav on our young forwards. Almost every team that wins these days has the best squad. Souths, Rooster, Storm, Manly, etc.

The fact Tooves kept us at or near the top with no drop off shows that coaches are totally interchangeable.

The big thing with Des - he took over a squad on the rise, the carried him, and when he felt like they were nearing the end as a result of his back ended deals coming back to roost, he bailed for the next best gig and took over an already good team and he's supposed to be some super coach? Please. On top of that, at the dogs he's got the run of the green(berg) so its possibly the easiest gig in coaching. No cap, no worries about the judiciary, players can beat up their GF's and all they have is a gambling problem... What a joke.

One final thing with Des - I've said this before but he has trouble controlling players. Choc was a loose rooster, the Doggies imploded last year. He is terrible as a disciplinarian. Eventually that sinks your club. But by that time he'll be somewhere else...

cherry_poppins said:

That's 40%

The result of the 2007 GF was declared void, so that one doesn't count.

That's my theory anyway, and I'm sticking to it!

So 2 from 4, or 50% :D

He's still a treacherous, unprincipled scumbag though...and the Doggies will lose him the minute someone else offers him even MORE money...

Funny how the dog has instructed his players to lay down if they are touched anywhere near the head, yet when he coached us he was critical of opposition teams doing the same. How times have changed.

One of Des strengths is his ability to change with the times and adapt. Its also one of our failings.

Bennett had a state side in his entire existence and the donkeys so winning was a lot easier. At the dragqueens he inherited a team that was poised to win,

Des did great considering where the dogs started the finals series from. Des has also built a team from scratch and had success.

No one was gonna beat the Vermin this season, thats a simple fact!!

Ryan said:
One of Des strengths is his ability to change with the times and adapt. Its also one of our failings.

Let's start playing soccer then. He new his team was going to be outmuscled and instructed his players to take a dive. He was the biggest whinger about players diving, he's a hypocrite.

If Des was still here, and none of the Bulldogs stuff happened, you'd all still adore the guy - come on. Same goes for Crusher.

cherry_poppins said:
Ryan said:

Like keeping Tony Williams on the field regardless

That's innovative

It's all well and good to hate the man for the way he left us but you are kidding yourself if you don't think he is a great coach. I don't care what his win loss record in grand finals is any coach who can get his teams to 5 grand finals in a salary cap era is outstanding.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4