Dessie’s Crazy Dutch Auction

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Not Paul Kent

Reserve Grader
Apologies - this may have some cross-over with the dead wood needs to go thread but I thought it possibly deserved its own thread.

With Tommy gone for the season it’s probably fair to say we don’t have the fire-power to win the competition this year. Perhaps we should look to the future and arrange some trade deals to strengthen our side for 2023 and beyond.

Some ideas below.

Noteworthy players either confirmed/rumoured to be moving on next year:

Dylan Walker, Marty Taupau, Kieran Foran.

Are there any clubs who would take these guys early, we could possibly use as a bargaining chip to acquire some players locked up in multi-year deals?

If I was managing Manlys roster I’d be calling Cronulla pretty quickly and proposing Walker and Taupau for Brailey and either Ramien/Tracey.

They have McInnes who is a top shelf 80 minute hooker and the headache of trying to fit three quality centres into two spots, and are lacking a utility and one impact forward which could really see them challenge for the title this year, I think this deal makes genuine sense for both clubs.

Other ideas Foran and Marty early for Tino at the GC?

Marty for Thompson with the dogs?

Apologies for another classic flyingaeaeagle Ironstein post and I accept the abuse that will likely come my way for making such a mercantile suggestion......

However, thoughts?

I don't see the Sharks or GC options having any appeal whatsoever to those respective clubs to be honest.

I could possibly see us getting Tuilagi early and Marty going back to the Tigers filling Mikales spot for this year with maybe a year or two on top.

We'd have to top up the salary for the rest of this year.

I some how have faith in the squad that we currently have and they have proven to us in patches of being capable of great plays
We just have to learn to play great more consistently
Having said that ....
the addition of extra talent to our squad can only make us stronger

I'm sorry you feel that you'd get abused for sharing an opinion here mate, but I guess that's where we are at in 2022. My opinion on thinking about the future:

This season
  • Blood Weekes at either 5/8 or fullback - but blood him - rest DCE (Foz to 7) if necessary
  • Give Tuitavake a go at prop - he was great in the trials
  • Ben Trbojevic is a great mobile backrower - give him more time
  • During Origin - give Humphreys a few runs (and rest DCE)

Off Season
  • Focus on Schusters fitness. He's a lock (and nowhere near the pace of the halves)
  • Start transitioning Jake to Prop. He's way too slow to play lock (earning MUCH less next contract)
  • Taupau, Walks, Foz (gone) - add DCE (Dolphins), Harper, Parker (already replaced) & Davey, Fainu
  • Lose Sykes, Raumanos, Taufua, Boyle, KDL, Fifita & Fulton from the top 30
  • Acquire someone like Cooper Cronk for Des (integrating the modern game)
  • We need new recruitment staff (Fulton is okay), but Crusher, Warwick and Des have been crap
  • Get a damned CEO and CFO (it's been WAY too long already)

Next Season
01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Tolu Koula
05. Reuben Garrick OR Christian Tuipulotu
06. Kaeo Weekes (you CANNOT play an immobile 5/8)
07. Jamie Humphreys
08. Josh Aloiai
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Josh Schuster (VERY trimmed down - if not, simple as this - DROPPED)

14. Karl Lawton
15. Jake Trbojevic
17. Ben Trbojevic (or in the 12 jersey)

• Depth players (at BEST): Bullemor, Keppie, Sipley, Segeyaro, Tuitavake
  • A centre, a hooker (possibly Fainu), a prop is our off season priorities (then quality depth)

Honestly mate, we'll likely do better next year with that core (but we need to be honest, and say this is a re-build). It's been YEARS since we beat a top 4 side, this season, we can't touch a top 8 side. Changes (tough ones) HAVE to be made (whether people like it or not).

We are playing a defensive system that was successful around 2010 (or so). The games moved past that. How Des isn't adapting to todays game is beyond me, but it is what it is. We are a one trick pony, and last season was on the back of basically one player - with his form being off this season, it's certainly confirmed that.

We need to become WAY more mobile, explosive, energetic (and I'm looking at Don Singe with a magnifying glass - because we've actually gone backwards - from get this - the Dan Ferris days).

I hope we'll return to the finals in 2024.

Thoughts - dropping all these players mid season comes with a cost. First and foremost the structures in attack and defence - while I await the smart arses saying there is no structure in either my riposte is that we were never allowed to execute either with the starting team, or with injuries and or referee interference
Additional thoughts - this proposed transfer will come at a cost and we will then bitch and moan about the cost of that

Apologies - this may have some cross-over with the dead wood needs to go thread but I thought it possibly deserved its own thread.

With Tommy gone for the season it’s probably fair to say we don’t have the fire-power to win the competition this year. Perhaps we should look to the future and arrange some trade deals to strengthen our side for 2023 and beyond.

Some ideas below.

Noteworthy players either confirmed/rumoured to be moving on next year:

Dylan Walker, Marty Taupau, Kieran Foran.

Are there any clubs who would take these guys early, we could possibly use as a bargaining chip to acquire some players locked up in multi-year deals?

If I was managing Manlys roster I’d be calling Cronulla pretty quickly and proposing Walker and Taupau for Brailey and either Ramien/Tracey.

They have McInnes who is a top shelf 80 minute hooker and the headache of trying to fit three quality centres into two spots, and are lacking a utility and one impact forward which could really see them challenge for the title this year, I think this deal makes genuine sense for both clubs.

Other ideas Foran and Marty early for Tino at the GC?

Marty for Thompson with the dogs?

Apologies for another classic flyingaeaeagle Ironstein post and I accept the abuse that will likely come my way for making such a mercantile suggestion......

However, thoughts?
Not crazy at all. In fact a good idea to dump the dead wood use the rest of this wiped out season to blood the future. Get Schuster fit enough and into 5/8 ASAP. Weekes to fullback ,look at Walsh and Campbell, very similar types. Ray Vega, Tuitavake and Sykes need to be blooded. Humphries during origin. Jake to prop.

Jamie Lyon was never a sculpted physique but never seemed to hold him back.

For minr the Schuster narrative is way overblown. He is nowhere near as out of shape as people make out.

He'll sharpen up over the coming weeks

For minr the Schuster narrative is way overblown. He is nowhere near as out of shape as people make out.

Jamie Lyon was always fast though (and a class above the rest). He certainly wasn't "fat". He could easily make breaks, break tackles and take part in long range tries. Please. Can we not compare Josh Schuster to Jamie Lyon now?

Look at the speed and agility of this legend (Josh struggled to run 40 metres the other night) - I don't see the comparison:

Jamie Lyon was always fast though (and a class above the rest). He certainly wasn't "fat". He could easily make breaks, break tackles and take part in long range tries. Please. Can we not compare Josh Schuster to Jamie Lyon now?
Schuster makes breaks, breaks tackles and has beem involved in long range tries.

He is no slower that Foran.

I'm sorry you feel that you'd get abused for sharing an opinion here mate, but I guess that's where we are at in 2022. My opinion on thinking about the future:

This season
  • Blood Weekes at either 5/8 or fullback - but blood him - rest DCE (Foz to 7) if necessary
  • Give Tuitavake a go at prop - he was great in the trials
  • Ben Trbojevic is a great mobile backrower - give him more time
  • During Origin - give Humphreys a few runs (and rest DCE)

Off Season
  • Focus on Schusters fitness. He's a lock (and nowhere near the pace of the halves)
  • Start transitioning Jake to Prop. He's way too slow to play lock (earning MUCH less next contract)
  • Taupau, Walks, Foz (gone) - add DCE (Dolphins), Harper, Parker (already replaced) & Davey, Fainu
  • Lose Sykes, Raumanos, Taufua, Boyle, KDL, Fifita & Fulton from the top 30
  • Acquire someone like Cooper Cronk for Des (integrating the modern game)
  • We need new recruitment staff (Fulton is okay), but Crusher, Warwick and Des have been crap
  • Get a damned CEO and CFO (it's been WAY too long already)

Next Season
01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Tolu Koula
05. Reuben Garrick OR Christian Tuipulotu
06. Kaeo Weekes (you CANNOT play an immobile 5/8)
07. Jamie Humphreys
08. Josh Aloiai
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Josh Schuster (VERY trimmed down - if not, simple as this - DROPPED)

14. Karl Lawton
15. Jake Trbojevic
17. Ben Trbojevic (or in the 12 jersey)

• Depth players (at BEST): Bullemor, Keppie, Sipley, Segeyaro, Tuitavake
  • A centre, a hooker (possibly Fainu), a prop is our off season priorities (then quality depth)

Honestly mate, we'll likely do better next year with that core (but we need to be honest, and say this is a re-build). It's been YEARS since we beat a top 4 side, this season, we can't touch a top 8 side. Changes (tough ones) HAVE to be made (whether people like it or not).

We are playing a defensive system that was successful around 2010 (or so). The games moved past that. How Des isn't adapting to todays game is beyond me, but it is what it is. We are a one trick pony, and last season was on the back of basically one player - with his form being off this season, it's certainly confirmed that.

We need to become WAY more mobile, explosive, energetic (and I'm looking at Don Singe with a magnifying glass - because we've actually gone backwards - from get this - the Dan Ferris days).

I hope we'll return to the finals in 2024.
You are a very passionate Manly guy indeed @Ryan as you always put a lot of effort and feeling in your passionate posts .

Our club is a proactive club and has great plans for our future securing great talent that are coming through and our future does look promising

This very moment thought we are in 2022
This very moment we are still in it with a chance to make the finals

We can beat the storm . Fck the Storm ! They have 2 legs . 2 arms and 2 testicles like any other players . This Thursday night we will become their ball breakers . Just wait and see

Schuster makes breaks, breaks tackles and has beem involved in long range tries.

He is no slower that Foran.

I'm not sure if you watched the video I attached, but I again have to question the comparison to Jamie Lyon. Nor Kieran Foran. Foz does everything at pace. Play-the-balls, intense tackles, body on the line.

Now, I DO think Schuster "could" be special. But I also think his weight is affecting his durability (and fitness / speed).

I don't think Schuster would be anywhere near as quick as Foz today.

I'm not sure if you watched the video I attached, but I again have to question the comparison to Jamie Lyon. Nor Kieran Foran. Foz does everything at pace. Play-the-balls, intense tackles, body on the line.

Now, I DO think Schuster "could" be special. But I also think his weight is affecting his durability (and fitness / speed).

I don't think Schuster would be anywhere near as quick as Foz today.

I compared body shapes, point being, great footy players dont all need a Ronaldo type physique.

Does Schuster need to build up his match fitness, of course, he has had lower leg injuries most of the year.

Do I believe the panic over his current shape is overblown, absolutely.

I compared body shapes, point being, great footy players dont all need a Ronaldo type physique.

Does Schuster need to build up his match fitness, of course, he has had lower leg injuries most of the year.

Agreed. Schu is sort of guy who will break a tackle or two and set up a runner. We saw plenty of this last year.

Agree. Schu is never going to be svelte and when dormant through injury he will blow out. By the look of things Des wants to build his fitness by playing off the bench. Too much too soon and he will suffer more leg problems.

I love threads like these , great ideas , out there thinking!!

BUT our Des has never been known to adapt to any of these.

So here’s what’s happening.

Walker to Warriors
Foran to Titans
Tapau to ESL???

We upgrade a few.

Tuilagi from Tigers

Fainu into the 30 OR into Jail

Hello 2023.

Woooah there fella... I don't think you can mention them in then same breath yet.... Lyon being probably the most complete footy player I've ever seen play.

Woooah there fella... I don't think you can mention them in then same breath yet.... Lyon being probably the most complete footy player I've ever seen play.
All I mentioned was Lyons body type

Don't think I ever saw Jamie Lyon porky.... :)
No attack on Lyon here, legend and one of my favourite players.

Like Schuster I judge them on what the offer in the field

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220523-203144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220523-203144_Chrome.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 8

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4