PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Chooks v Manly [Round 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Other than the forward pack, isn't the team the same old we saw the last 2 years? I've already booked Dan's to delivery my weekly grog at 6.15pm Sat

Seriously this first team team smacks of under performers in our trial being rewarded? Hmmmm, we are looking at a 30 point lose due to the centres and wingers.

Schuster not in first 17 a tragedy...seriously, being a reserve he won't even get time in the NSW Cup. What experience will he get? Imagine what this site will do when he wants a release.

I don't get all the drama!
What are the contentious selections??
Keppie missing out? Surely not! He has been average for 12 months and offers little go forward. Boyle will surprise and I've been a fan of his the whole time.

Harper missing out for Parker? Well, yes Harper has the attack but was left for dead in defence last year at centre so a safe selection with Parker.

Walker at fullback? A bit dubious but whoever played there was going to be nothing more than a fill in.

The only real bad decision is NO Schuster! Surely he makes the 17!!!

Maybe Funa comes on at Fullback and Walker/Foz can cover Croker when he needs a break.
Your spot on with Keppie his form was down last season, he was not the only one though, Sironen, Garrick and Parker are lucky to be in the squad on last season’s form.

The strategy of no number nine and in the trial only giving Birt ten minutes game time has created more questions then answers.

Hopefully Schuster gets a run soon.

Lol why is anyone surprised?

Its classic Des to go with experience over excitement. Especially with Turbo out.

In saying that, its also classic Des to pull a swifty before kick-off so as to not put the media pressure off a young bloke. Schuster may get a run yet but I'd be surprised.

Lol why is anyone surprised?

Its classic Des to go with experience over excitement. Especially with Turbo out.

In saying that, its also classic Des to pull a swifty before kick-off so as to not put the media pressure off a young bloke. Schuster may get a run yet but I'd be surprised.
I don’t get this “media pressure” that people speak of,especially in this day and age.Players are trained more in how to deal with the media than how to treat a lady these days.And since the advent of social media,there is rarely a need for journos to be chasing a player for a quote

For me aside from Josh’s omission, the clear and glaring issue is Croker.

I simply cannot see him having the ability to play 80 mins, particularly with the way the game is played now and the fact he’s had a supposed minor injury setback leading into the season, yet there is zero cover for him on the bench..

Oh dear. Watching sport is entertainment. A break from the real life difficulties we all deal with. Sure we love our team but part of it is not only cheering from the rooftops when we're doing well but bitching and whinging about team selections, players etc because it's not our real lives. We're not all the same and some may not want pain year in and year out as their break from reality.
That's my point though...you've got a 1 in 16 chance every year. Thus, following RL in the vain hope that your team will remain successful on permanent basis in order to escape reality, is fraught with danger; the odds of it happening are a thousand to one. You'll experience pain along the way, no doubt. Pain happened last season, it could happen this season and it will definitely happen again in the future...for all clubs. The Roosters won a wooden spoon in 2009 with Nick's fat pocket at the ready. I'm just saying 'keep the faith' is all. I might add, you and everyone else are certainly entitled to a whinge and a bitch; that's what this place is for :)

Surprisingly selections. I would of just played Funa at the back who has played their before and kept Walker in the centres for more strike power out wide. Not a fan of Jetski starting, very weak ball carrier would of just went with Davey who is a better all round player. Shuster to bench who can come on and play the ball playing lock/ first receiver roll and give Jake a spell or move Jake into the middle. Boyle out, Sipley in

I don't get all the drama!
What are the contentious selections??
Keppie missing out? Surely not! He has been average for 12 months and offers little go forward. Boyle will surprise and I've been a fan of his the whole time.

Harper missing out for Parker? Well, yes Harper has the attack but was left for dead in defence last year at centre so a safe selection with Parker.

Walker at fullback? A bit dubious but whoever played there was going to be nothing more than a fill in.

The only real bad decision is NO Schuster! Surely he makes the 17!!!

Maybe Funa comes on at Fullback and Walker/Foz can cover Croker when he needs a break.
I don't mind Boyle either. He has a slow play-the-ball that needs fixing up but everything else from him is pretty good. He has the physical attributes to be outstanding.

I’m sorry but if Schuster isn’t slotted into the 17 at kickoff then Des needs to come under scrutiny. He is the best junior outside of Turbo in the past decade, and we don’t have the luxury of leaving him out.
Anyone who thinks the selected team will get within 20 points of the Roosters is dreaming.
It’s bad enough the game has become like touch football, yet we keep selecting the same average players like Parker, Gowieski, Boyle and Croker over and over again.
If we are 0-4, can someone explain why Des got a 2 yr extension?

Clearly there’s plenty of question marks around the selections/non selections of Des, but the thing that probably has been overlooked a bit is our 6 and 7. It’s a pretty impressive playmaking pair - and aside from that provides plenty of leadership.

It’s the first time genuinely in a long time that Daly will actually have an experienced halves partner.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6