PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Chooks v Manly [Round 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm in no way qualified to comment on what Des was and is thinking with respect to his team selections however, I'm more than qualified to assess and decide on the activities of my family's discretionary spending.

Today, Des forced me to think long and hard about the attitude of this Club from the front office, back office and everything in between.

I am a life-long Sea Eagle fan, coerced my wife into becoming a member during our courtship and then signed up my two young children the day they were born.

I'm a hard dollar paying member for the last 14 years and the rest of my family the last 8 years so BOZO, I represent, sorry I represented 4 memberships in those numbers last year.

However, I waited until this very day to see what Des may have served up knowing the precarious position of our roster and the absolute and unadulterated garbage towards the back end of last year.

And sadly, my fears were realised.

If I hear another comment along the lines of "maybe he is protecting player X from time inevitable thrashing coming up this weekend", I'm going to pull out the last three strands of hair, fighting the good fight on top of my head.

If they don't feel the pain of a loss in sport, big or small, how do you expect them to deal with the loss, life isn't all about winning, given as one who wins, another loses; the measure of yourself is your ability to deal with the losses as much as the wins.

Give these kids a chance but no, we give those who "will get it right because they've been there before" another run.

Well I've had enough, no more money from my family.

I feel a collective helplessness amongst many Sea Eagle fans and our plight will not improve until we see an improvement within our Club.

To that end, my contribution, in monetary terms, is minuscule, maybe enough to supply the toilet paper to the boardroom at HQ however, I've no other avenue to express my disgust.

In my business, if my service provider isn't up to the standard I expect of them, I sit down with them and have them listen to my concerns and I afford them an opportunity to improve.

I'll do it two or three times, however, the longer the problems continue, if it isn't fixed then I'm being disingenuous to myself and to the service provider as I'm giving them false hope.

Today, through our coach and his staff, the Manly Warrigah Sea Eagles became the service provider and today, I've decided to end my monetary relationship with them.

I'll be back at a time when I feel the club isn't taking me for granted.

I love the way Des has presented his squad of 21 players

I love the way he has given away nothing to the roosters until game day

I love the way Des is completely blaffling them

I love the way every one has short memories of what our players are capable of

I love the way the roosters are hot favoiurites by every one and have their chest and neck sticking out

Because come game day we are going to decapitate them
ED_nCZMWwAcDW-x.jpg

Last edited:
Hey regarding Morgan Boyle, I remember Des just LOVED guys like Phil Moorwood, so maybe he's got another ace like him ! Also loved Paul Stephenson. Guys like that.
And look at the incredible team spirit he built.
But sure, I guess he could just go with the talented guys like all the run-of-the-mill coaches.

I'm in no way qualified to comment on what Des was and is thinking with respect to his team selections however, I'm more than qualified to assess and decide on the activities of my family's discretionary spending.

Today, Des forced me to think long and hard about the attitude of this Club from the front office, back office and everything in between.

I am a life-long Sea Eagle fan, coerced my wife into becoming a member during our courtship and then signed up my two young children the day they were born.

I'm a hard dollar paying member for the last 14 years and the rest of my family the last 8 years so BOZO, I represent, sorry I represented 4 memberships in those numbers last year.

However, I waited until this very day to see what Des may have served up knowing the precarious position of our roster and the absolute and unadulterated garbage towards the back end of last year.

If I hear another comment along the lines of "maybe he is protecting player X from time inevitable thrashing coming up this weekend", I'm going to pull out the last three strands of hair, fighting the good fight on top of my head.

If they don't feel the pain of a loss in sport, big or small, how do you expect them to deal with the loss, life isn't all about winning, given as one who wins, another loses; the measure of yourself is your ability to deal with the losses as much as the wins.

Give these kids a chance but no, we give those who "will get it right because they've been there before" another run.

I feel a collective helplessness amongst many Sea Eagle fans and our plight will not improve until we see an improvement within our Club.

To that end, my contribution, in monetary terms, is minuscule, maybe enough to supply the toilet paper to the boardroom at HQ however, I've no other avenue to express my disgust.

In my business, if my service provider isn't up to the standard I expect of them, I sit down with them and have them listen to my concerns and I afford them an opportunity to improve.

I'll do it two or three times, however, the longer the problems continue, if it isn't fixed then I'm being disingenuous to myself and to the service provider as I'm giving them false hope.

Today, through our coach and his staff, the Manly Warrigah Sea Eagles became the service provider and today, I've decided to end my monetary relationship with them.

Understand completely but what about if the team picked performs very well and wins?

Is it possible Des might swap Funa for Walker & Schuster for Boyle?

That way you've got someone starting at fb who's not only played a few games in that position at the end of last season but also isn't coming back from injury (Walker's match fitness surely isnt enough to risk him for 80 minutes at halfback?)

Walker on the bench along with Schuster, Davey & Sipley provides halves, back row & prop rotation with Walker possibly spelling Croker at hooker.

That would be a much more adaptable & mobile bench for the new rules - apart from Paseka & Davey giving the forwards a rest, Walker & Schuster could both fill in pretty much anywhere from #2 through to 7 & #9.

I think full match experience is important, and lots of our young players have barely played a game for 18 months.

They may not be ready for the 80 min first grade grind. Give it a few weeks and be patient.
But daaad...(stomps foot emoji)

Looking at that Roosters team brimming with points and internationals everywhere the only chance we have of beating them is scoring 30+. We play dull conservative football folks and we get absolutely pumped. In light of this I'd have Schuster at 5/8, play Foran at hooker for another kicking option and let old Croker come on and give him a breather when he needs it. Having 3 quality kick options give us a chance and takes the heat off DCE- we were crying out for that all last season and a few prior. I thought Harper did nothing wrong in the trial and Des had praise for him so I'd replace Parker (solid but zero flair) for him and them maybe, just maybe we're a chance. Go Manly

Understand completely but what about if the team picked performs very well and wins?

I will be very happy and proud of the team however, this is not about winning, it is about feeling as if the Club is lacking direction and the team selections this week was the culmination of events stretching back to last year.

The claim of ducks and drakes with respect to the team named, again, why do we believe that Des is actually concocting such a strategy and if he is, well more fool him.

In the year 2021, players communicate with one another via messaging platforms, social media, not over a beer or two at the local pub, the times and those messages are emotive in nature, quick in delivery and potentially damaging to the spirit of the player and club.

I can attest to the above as I have witnessed and read, first-hand, first grade and fringe-first grade players messaging one another to friends at other clubs.

I wish the players all the very best this weekend and every weekend, they deserve and will have my support, it is their employer that at this point in time, does not have my support, as painful as it is to utter such words.

Funa is a FG utility? Surely not.
I see Funa filling in any position in the backline except the halves - which are arguably the most obvious selections at this stage of the season.

Last season how many games did we have a back go down mid-game, to be filled by Gossi or Sirro?

I get that Schuster may be a like-for-like with more x-factor and can only point to experience as his reasons for Funa in the 14.

First of all let me Congratulate you and your Wonderful family for being Loyal and Dedicated and honourable Manly club members over the years and let me tell you feathered friend that Loyalty over time Always pays off.

The Roosters under Nick Politis disgraced and tarnished their clubs history for the 5th time by another Wooden spoon in 2009 but since then their loyal supporters/ club members like your good self have been rewarded with premiership success

You have come so far and you have seen our Glory days and low days but our legendary club has never stooped so low and Defamed our proud history or humuliated their fans with a wooden spoon like all the rest of the other NRL clubs .

The tide always turns feathered friend
Never give up , for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn
and our big wave of success will start in round one against the roosters

Wooden spoons[edit]​

Main article: Australian rugby league wooden spooners
TallyClubSeasons
17Western Suburbs colours.svg Western Suburbs Magpies1909, 1910, 1912, 1913, 1916, 1933, 1940, 1942, 1953, 1955, 1971, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1998, 1999
14Parramatta colours.svg Parramatta Eels1947, 1952, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1970, 1972, 2012, 2013, 2018
10University colours.svg Sydney University1921, 1923, 1927, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937
9North Sydney colours.svg North Sydney Bears1915, 1917, 1919, 1932, 1941, 1948, 1950, 1951, 1979
8Newtown colours.svg Newtown Jets1924, 1925, 1928, 1939, 1968, 1976, 1977, 1978
8South Sydney colours.svg South Sydney Rabbitohs1945, 1946, 1962, 1975, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2006
5Canterbury colours.svg Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs1943, 1944, 1964, 2002, 2008
5Eastern Suburbs colours.svg Sydney Roosters1949, 1963, 1965, 1966, 2009
4Balmain colours.svg Balmain Tigers1911, 1974, 1981, 1994
4Penrith Panthers square flag icon with 2017 colours.svg Penrith Panthers1973, 1980, 2001, 2007
4Newcastle colours.svg Newcastle Knights2005, 2015, 2016, 2017
3Annandale colours.svg Annandale1914, 1918, 1920
3St. George colours.svg St. George Dragons1922, 1926, 1938
3Illawarra colours.svg Illawarra Steelers1985, 1986, 1989
3Gold Coast Chargers colours.svg Gold Coast Seagulls1991, 1992, 1993
3North Queensland colours.svg North Queensland Cowboys1995, 1997SL, 2000
3Cronulla colours.svg Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks1967, 1969, 2014
2South Queensland colours.svg South Queensland Crushers1996, 1997ARL
2Gold Coast Titans colours.svg Gold Coast Titans2011, 2019
1Cumberland colours.svg Cumberland1908
1Canberra colours.svg Canberra Raiders1982
1Melbourne colours.svg Melbourne Storm2010*
1Brisbane colours.svg Brisbane Broncos2020

Who is going to cover for Croker at hooker? He cannot play 80 mins.

Can't be Foran as he will be knackered playing 5/8th?

Thing I also hate about Des team selections, is that when a player returns, it offsets the rest of the team in many areas. Wouldn't you try and disrupt the rest of the group as little as possible, to create chemistry and combinations?

Example. Tom Trbojevic returns
  • Displaces Dylan Walker
  • Displaces Brad Parker OR Moses Suli
  • Affects combination with Jason Saab or Reuben Garrick

OR

You play Harper. Tom returns, replaces Harper - no other affects.
This

I think the selection of Parker may annoy me the most. Walker and Suli should be our centres this year (at least first crack anyway). Both are very good if they are at the their best (which may be questionable, i get that part given injuries).

So plug in the best replacement fullback..which probably should have been Harper based on a decent trial. then replace him with Turbo when he is fit

Thing I also hate about Des team selections, is that when a player returns, it offsets the rest of the team in many areas. Wouldn't you try and disrupt the rest of the group as little as possible, to create chemistry and combinations?

Example. Tom Trbojevic returns
  • Displaces Dylan Walker
  • Displaces Brad Parker OR Moses Suli
  • Affects combination with Jason Saab or Reuben Garrick

OR

You play Harper. Tom returns, replaces Harper - no other affects.

Imo, long term we need a winger who is also a first class fullback.

This gives the least disruption tova team and also the ability to swap players between wing and fullback - like Snake used to do from time to time.

I am a massive Josh Schuster fan and I really want to see him get his chance this season. I personally believe that Des for the first few games wants as many experienced players as possible in key positions as 3 of our first 4 opponents are Easts, Souths and Penrith.

My guess is that Des wants Josh to have a few games in the reggies to get some match fitness, remember hes played literally 65 minutes and one trial in a year.

I was hoping he would be on the bench as a minimum to come on create chances for the team as defences tire. I suspect that he will be given a chance soon, maybe the Dragqueens game.

I am not a fan of Dylan at full back, again hes played little footy in a year. I would prefer they went with Funa till Tom is back and allow Dylan to ease himself back in the centres.

The team is not a bad one selected. I think the hole we have at 9 will be exposed as Cust is not playing and I am assuming that Croker is going to play 80 minutes.

I will keep my powder dry about selections as its only game 1. I do hope though that if things are not working in the first month that Des makes the changes needed!

I don't get all the drama!
What are the contentious selections??
Keppie missing out? Surely not! He has been average for 12 months and offers little go forward. Boyle will surprise and I've been a fan of his the whole time.

Harper missing out for Parker? Well, yes Harper has the attack but was left for dead in defence last year at centre so a safe selection with Parker.

Walker at fullback? A bit dubious but whoever played there was going to be nothing more than a fill in.

The only real bad decision is NO Schuster! Surely he makes the 17!!!

Maybe Funa comes on at Fullback and Walker/Foz can cover Croker when he needs a break.

watching the roosters last year was like watching us in 2014.

and we know how 2015 went...
I don't get all the drama!
What are the contentious selections??
Keppie missing out? Surely not! He has been average for 12 months and offers little go forward. Boyle will surprise and I've been a fan of his the whole time.

Harper missing out for Parker? Well, yes Harper has the attack but was left for dead in defence last year at centre so a safe selection with Parker.

Walker at fullback? A bit dubious but whoever played there was going to be nothing more than a fill in.

The only real bad decision is NO Schuster! Surely he makes the 17!!!

Maybe Funa comes on at Fullback and Walker/Foz can cover Croker when he needs a break.
I’m more surprised about the Croker situation.He must have some doubt around his fitness given he was withdrawn from the only trial match as a precaution and Cust has been named in the reggies.I don’t see the point in moving Foran there mid game given his already fragile body and why make an unnecessary change from an important position and then others having to adjust to a different 5/8

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2