PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Chooks v Manly [Round 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Schuster isn't in the 17 on game day then I'm going to have to find another interest this winter. I just can't take another year of Des' conservative loser mentality.
And if Olakau'atu is injured, then give us an injury list. Not that it should matter because that kid was ignored throughout last year's abomination.
He has a calf injury.
he could play at a pinch but others have the jump on him right now anyway. A lot of team selections are based on the way training is running. A good game from Guoc late last year is not forefront in Dessie’s mind...he is thinking of combinations at training and fitness going into a match. It’s not as if he doesn’t rate Guoc, just that he is not the best pick right now is all.

Hi all

I think Des may have selected Funa over Schuster to give Turbo’s absenteeism a bit of cover, as he may believe that could be the team’s Achilles Heal. He needs to cover the back 5 and Schuster would not do that. There may be a surprise or two before kick-off, as Des is prone to do.

Maybe also he doesn’t want to throw Schuster in against the Roosters and destroy his confidence.

Morgan Boyle over Keppie is a worry, as Boyle did not impress me at all in the trial in attack however, Boyle defensively is very good and that may be more of Des’ focus for this game. Defend the line as opposed to break the line. Des is always a big one on defence.

The rest I can sit with and now it just comes down to attitude on the night. In my head I think we’ll be flogged however in my heart, I think we could actually win this if we dominate the forwards. Hargreaves coming off the bench for the Roosters concerns me and it may be a Robinson fur fee.

Hey regarding Morgan Boyle, I remember Des just LOVED guys like Phil Moorwood, so maybe he's got another ace like him ! Also loved Paul Stephenson. Guys like that.

He has a calf injury.
he could play at a pinch but others have the jump on him right now anyway. A lot of team selections are based on the way training is running. A good game from Guoc late last year is not forefront in Dessie’s mind...he is thinking of combinations at training and fitness going into a match. It’s not as if he doesn’t rate Guoc, just that he is not the best pick right now is all.
So you're saying Haumole won't play for Blacktown (he is named for them)?

So you're saying Haumole won't play for Blacktown (he is named for them)?
I mean he could play fg at a pinch but given he is on the comeback trail after the calf injury, he is not the logical selection to play in place of others who have been refining combinations for weeks at training.

I don't see what Dez sees in Boyle. Very avg and will struggle even more with the new rules speeding up the game. Always going to be tough this year until we can get first choice hooker and full back on park. We also need to sipley to get back to his form 2 years ago and guac to play like he did in his first hame last year, otherwise we don't have enough punch up the middle or out wide.

I can understand the disappointment or downright bewilderment at the team selection but we have to get behind the team and stay positive! The fans are the lifeblood of this club and we remain regardless of who comes and goes in the playing strip. A win is the cherry on top of supporting the maroon and whites...you get a 1 in 16 chance every year...long odds...so might as well rest your hat on something more enduring! Just be proud to be Manly!

No utility on the bench if as Snake says "he is not training as if he is going to play"? Something not right there.

I expect Harper to be the FB cover and Gojetski to be bench utility if Schuster is not in the 17 and I am not convinced Walker will start at FB. Saab to be on a wing.

I can understand the disappointment or downright bewilderment at the team selection but we have to get behind the team and stay positive! The fans are the lifeblood of this club and we remain regardless of who comes and goes in the playing strip. A win is the cherry on top of supporting the maroon and whites...you get a 1 in 16 chance every year...long odds...so might as well rest your hat on something more enduring! Just be proud to be Manly!
I just dont understand ,if Croker needs a rest who is going to cover for him ? Funa ? or does he put Foz in there move Walker to 6 and then put Funa in as 1 and change 3 positions to give 1 guy a rest (crazy) ,where as Schu can probably fill every spot in the back line and 2 position in the forwards if he had to

Stay positive? When Taupau was asked if the team were upset at losing 8 from their last 9 games (in his interview today) to finish last season, he explained the team weren't aware of those results, and that they didn't think/talk about it.

I'd love to pose that same question to say the bunnies, storm, raiders or say chooks outfits.

You'd hope the players are plugged in, results oriented and driven, and all pulling in the same direction. There needs to be a very serious attitude adjustment, starting with basics like defense, and ruck speed. These aren't skill, they are effort areas that can be improved.

I think we are all proud Manly supporters and fans (most of us are members / season ticket holders), and feel blessed to have a team. I just wonder what the culture, attitude, teamwork is like in the inner sanctum. Do they care, as much as us?

Oh dear. Watching sport is entertainment. A break from the real life difficulties we all deal with. Sure we love our team but part of it is not only cheering from the rooftops when we're doing well but bitching and whinging about team selections, players etc because it's not our real lives. We're not all the same and some may not want pain year in and year out as their break from reality.

Conservative selections in my view. Unsurprising from Des in Game 1 really. Looking head to head against the Rooters line-up we will have our work cut out for us - I do think we have the superior halves on paper.

Walk-up team are all largely tried/tested 1st-graders - Exception Saab, coming in for the injured Jorge, and Aloiai in for departed AFB.

Bench is same style - 1 utility, mobile back-rower and Prop rotations.

I know a lot of people want to see Schuster in there right away, as do I. We'll see if there are any 11th-hour changes.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4