Des Haslers strange tactics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

KaZa

Bencher
I really dont understand some things he does from time to time.

Dropping Cuthbertson - ??? our best creative forward.. considering Orford is our only attacking option at times..  we can do with his spark he provides.

Persistence with out of form players - Choc at the moment needs to be benched. Bell all of last season.. yet he can drop Cuthbo within a minute. Willow and Bryant should be dropped when at full strength, yet im sure Hall and Cuthbo will be instead. 

The underuse of LeStrange - I thought he sparked us when he came on.. no suprise all our points occurred when he was on in the 2nd half.. just gave us that speed from dummy half that Ballin lacks.

I think Des should start substituting Watmough.. i dont think hes an 80 minute player. His lapses in defence could be because he is not fit enough. He just mentally doesnt switch on for the whole 80 minutes.

1. Stewart
2. Robertson
3. Bell
4. Matai
5. Williams
6. Lyon
7. Orford
8. Kite
9. Ballin
10. Perry
11. Hall
12. Watmough
13.  Stewart

Bench:

14. Le Strange
15. King
16. Cuthbertson
17. Willow/Bryant

Choc is an 80 minute player, no doubt about it. He's just out of form at the moment. More than likely carrying a few injuries as well. When fully-fit he's an 80 minute player for sure. I think there could be reason to bench him at the moment though... let him get back into some form that way...

L'Estrange needs more time as well. That's clear, but Ballin is playing some sharp footy as well now. Earlier this year Ballin was slotting into the backrow for periods while L'Estrange came on - not sure why that idea has been benched, but it seemed pretty effective.  Might be a chance to give Choc a rest as well. Re-focus mid-game etc.

Kaza, I'd hope Beavers gets a nod somewhere in your team. Straight to back row with Willow / Bryant dropping off the bench IMO.
That said, King really needs to slim down, and get some match fitness. Did he play on the weekend in PL, or was he rested? If he was rested, then that is a bit of a joke.

Im a big fan of choc but he needs to start a couple of games on the bench as wake up call bring him into a game in the 15 - 20 minute mark, see what happens.

I think Ballin has been outstanding of late. He was extremely creative, he eats up the metres and can sniff a penalty around the ruck like no-one else

Watmough is garbage at the moment, no other way to put it, one or 2 off games are just that, but this crap is being dished up EVERY WEEK.

Reggies is the only solution for him, kick him into form before the semis.

Now that willo is out for a couple of weeks and King is another week away from returning the chance to drop Watmough has been lost.  

Still dropping him to the bench this week may shake him out of his lethargy which is sorely needed now.

King as rubbish when he came back the other week. IMO he is a guy who HAS to come back up through Reggies before a return

Agreed Dan, King needs to play a lot of minutes to get his game back in order fitness wise, and he cant fo that in 1sts.

Why cant whatmough be axed regardless of who is out?

If it's **** its ****, regardless of how much other **** is around.

Choc needs to be persisted with, his defence is attrocious at the mo, no doubt about it, but hitting the edges he is too important to leave out. We need him in form in a hurry though, because he was massive for us progressing through the final stages last season

I think i remember hearing that part of the reason Cuthbo has missed out since that send off was a drop in attitude, may be wrong though

Fro, I could go on and on, but that only encourages KE to come on and let of his 'load of love' for Hasler, Choc, Ox and all the rest of the non-performers.  KE must have watched a different Groan Final last year if he thinks Choc made an impact.   

Load of Love lol

If you understand how to use the search function, type in "The Thief" as a topic title and see my thoughts on some of Orfords play in there after a match against the Dragons last season

As for Hasler, taking a side from near the bottom to winning near on 75% of there games in the past 2 seasons says enough about his ability

I watched 28 games last season DSM, don't know exactly how many Watmough played. but in at least 90% of them he was in our top 3 on the park. If you want to hang people on the GF performance and write them off for the rest of their career then you may as well punt most of the squad now. I have watched the GF qualifier about 4 times and he was ****en outstanding, should have been MOTM

Here you are DSM, i did it for ya mate

http://www.silvertails.net/silvertails-forums/the_thief-t162275.15.html

Thanks for that KE.  All very illuminating.  I've been one of Chocs most supportive bloggers for most of this season however I've jumped off him in the last month, and, I do put him in the front line, with Ox, when discussing our losing the GF last year.  Blame where blames due and coaching where it's needed is my mantra.  Hasler was an excellent defender so what is the problem with him teaching Choc how to do it.  Hasler needs to take a few of the group aside and coach their bad habits out of their games.  Lately I just can't see why Hasler starts Choc.  Hoping for a return to form is not really a winning strategy.  Sure he runs hard on the fringes, but his dropped ball, turnstile defense, running out of the line and usual penalties and his influence on Stevie Wonder leave me scratching my head.  My thoughts on why Orford continues on the field is that he's sadly just too highly paid to leave out, bench or drop.   

If DSM had his way there would be about 47 players lining up for reggies each week and 17 Luke Williamsons in the 1's.  Oh and I reckon Tommy Raudonikus would be in the coaches box. 

We'd do OK with seventeen Luke Williamson's and one Brett Stewart.  Tommy wasn't any good.    Like Des, reasonable player, not very bright. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6