Delmege no longer Major Sponsor

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Volley

Bencher
Eagles on hunt for new sponsor
September 18, 2008 - 11:54PM

NRL club Manly are on the look out for a new major sponsor after Delmege Commercial withdrew their $1 million support.

Max Delmege, head of Delmege Commercial told News Limited he would continue as co-owner but the major sponsorship would cease.

Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer said it would not have an impact on the Sea Eagles' premiership aspirations.

Delmege had been the major sponsor of the Sea Eagles for six year

http://news.smh.com.au/sport/eagles-on-hunt-for-new-sponsor-20080918-4jcd.html

Interesting

This is Huge!!!!  Max was at the ground on Saturday night choosing the best banners for a competition. I wonder what has brought this one to pass!!!!

It's a good time for him to do it if had he planned to do this, the clubs in a strong position and unaffected by the kind of scandals other clubs have faced we should be a reasonably attractive prospect to any potential sponsor.

It had to happen sooner or later, and we are in a strong position after a couple of strong years on the table.

I dare say that Max is is feeling the strain brought on by the sub-prime crisis from the USA.  The whole property industry is feeling the pinch, especially the Commerical sector of the industry.  My cousin is in the industry and his company is bigger than Max's and is feeling the strain/pressure with many lay offs and asset sell offs. 

Anyway, he saved our arses from extinction and can do what he likes.  I say thanks Max!!!

Canteen Worker link said:
This is Huge!!!!  Max was at the ground on Saturday night choosing the best banners for a competition. I wonder what has brought this one to pass!!!!

For years I have said his sponsorship is more an act of charity given his business really only services the beaches while he is paying for national exposure.

What a brilliant time for Manly to be looking for a new sponsor in the lead up to the GF and hopefully a Premiership.  The Tigers signed Proton to a big dollar sponsorship within days of winning the 2005 title.

This is an orchestrated and smart announcement.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=178453.msg197344#msg197344 date=1221747583]

For years I have said his sponsorship is more an act of charity given his business really only services the beaches while he is paying for national exposure.

What a brilliant time for Manly to be looking for a new sponsor in the lead up to the GF and hopefully a Premiership.  The Tigers signed Proton to a big dollar sponsorship within days of winning the 2005 title.

[/quote]

When I first read it, I freaked out.. But all of you have good points. It couldn't happen at a better time really.. Hope that we can get someone really good on board!

Silver link said:
I dare say that Max is is feeling the strain brought on by the sub-prime crisis from the USA.  The whole property industry is feeling the pinch, especially the Commerical sector of the industry.  My cousin is in the industry and his company is bigger than Max's and is feeling the strain/pressure with many lay offs and asset sell offs. 

Anyway, he saved our arses from extinction and can do what he likes.  I say thanks Max!!!

You are correct, I have been involved in Finance within the property industry for 9 years and things are not great.  Especially in Sydney!!!  Other states are not feeling the pinch as much as we are here though.  Some of the big developers have been laying off large numbers of staff in recent weeks and assets are being written down all over the place.  This may have had a bearing on Max's decision, if it has or not I still think now is the right time for him to step aside anyway.  We should have no issue getting a sponsor.

Garts link said:
[quote author=Silver link=topic=178453.msg197355#msg197355 date=1221773710]

You are correct, I have been involved in Finance within the property industry for 9 years and things are not great.  Especially in Sydney!!!  Other states are not feeling the pinch as much as we are here though.  Some of the big developers have been laying off large numbers of staff in recent weeks and assets are being written down all over the place.  This may have had a bearing on Max's decision, if it has or not I still think now is the right time for him to step aside anyway.  We should have no issue getting a sponsor.
[/quote]

I hope not..  :)

Random question Garts - (and this might show how little I know about property and stuff..  :-[) but how is the property industry doing bad? House prices and rent is soooo expensive  :( isn't it all about supply and demand? There's so little supply of houses/units.. (Sorry if its a dumb question  :-[)

My guess is that the implications for a buliding company in Australia, as a result of the US sub-prime crisis are as follows:  if finanance is harder to raise, prices go down, profits go down, the market slows down and those exposed have smaller margins or profits. Probably too simplified!!

Bring back Pepsi as a sponsor, **** we had some good times under them!

Dan link said:
Bring back Pepsi as a sponsor, S**t we had some good times under them!

Yeah! And their colours match our colours of maroon and white too!

I hate it when the sponsor logo colours totally clashes with the colours of a jersey.. makes it look sooo ugly  :-X

The comments on the news sites are funny, everyone's saying it's the death of Manly when it's just the sponsor finishing up their contract.  It took souths ages to find a major sponsor and they made it through.  We'll get one easily and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before next season i say. 
Man those people are stupid.  Was it the death of their team when their sponsor finished up?  Did we die when Pepsi finished?  It's only early but man i've come across a LOT of idiots today

lol i love the lack of ecconomic knowledge.

Basically its come down to the sub-prime crisis which took over the USA, and yes it indirectly affects us even though it in the usa. To put it simply the sub-prime crisis is about lenders of money handing out loans and these loans end up being unpayable by the borrowers. Sub-prime is second rate loans and more riskier for the lender because they are more likly not to be paid back due to other issues, at one stage when all was well loans were being handed out to thoses that did not even have a JOB!!!

This has most likly affected Max, but im more worried about that we have gone from a company that has nearly broken even to a company that is making losses of $1Mill a year again.

Although we wont lose $1Mill a year i do not think in todays ecconomic enviroment that we will find  a sponsor of $1Mill+, more lily we will find one in the range of $500k - $800k max which will still leave an annual loss of $600k - $300k.

In Summary This of course wont happen if we already have found a sponosor willing to match Max.

nita link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=178453.msg197368#msg197368 date=1221777298]
Bring back Pepsi as a sponsor, S**t we had some good times under them!

Yeah! And their colours match our colours of maroon and white too!

I hate it when the sponsor logo colours totally clashes with the colours of a jersey.. makes it look sooo ugly  :-X
[/quote]

**** me you are lucky you are chick, otherwise that would have been close to a ban!

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=178453.msg197344#msg197344 date=1221747583]

[/quote]

I know Max has said in the past that he would step aside as major sponsor if another company put their hand up - I think there could be annoucements soon, but I am guessing.

Additionally Garts could be right as well

That is true, but I think Matas was right that it has been a bit of a charity for Max, a tax deductible charity but still a charity.

It's time we got off of Max's teet, he has done so much for the club, even though we were a bit against him at first, i think the man deserves a stand named after him one day, even if it is just a hotdog stand or something

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6