Defence V Defense

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can we please get the spelling of this word right. In Australia we use defence Not the American version defense. This also goes for licence not license. Just had to clear this up, it annoys the hell out of me :) the only thing more annoying is not hearing the reporters question in the post match press conference. *Note that when writing defensive the 's' is used.

Last edited:
Thank you .... mea culpa .... what has confused me on the issue is spell check ... and that idiotic nonsense called "American English" on most computors ......my natural intinct was always to type s but was corrected that often I began to question my own lack of education ....

Can we please get the spelling of this word right. In Australia we use defence Not the American version defense. This also goes for licence not license. Just had to clear this up, it annoys the hell out of me :) the only thing more annoying is not hearing the reporters question in the post match press conference. *Note that when writing defensive the 's' is used.
When you say America, do you mean Argentina or Mexico Or Canadia?

You see it spelt wrong everywhere, even at Government buildings when talking about a licence. The world's gone mad :)

You are however fighting a losing battle .... spelling and word meanings are formed and gazzetted in dictionaries based on usage ... and there are 10's of millions of "poorly" educated on social media typing away to every English Profssor writing a disertation ...

If a word is mis-used or mis-spelt often enough it does become the new correct version ..... but it is comforting to know there are people such as yourself and @globaleagle fighting a rear guard action .....

There, their, they're, it will be ok

You are however fighting a losing battle .... spelling and word meanings are formed and gazzetted in dictionaries based on usage ... and there are 10's of millions of "poorly" educated on social media typing away to every English Profssor writing a disertation ...

If a word is mis-used or mis-spelt often enough it does become the new correct version ..... but it is comforting to know there are people such as yourself and @globaleagle fighting a rear guard action .....

So true, you need to re-sign yourself to these facts

^^^^ 1st world problems :p

The other good one is when people say could of or should of instead of could have or should have. Pedantic I know but the majority get these words wrong and as you say it then becomes the norm

The other good one is when people say could of or should of instead of could have or should have. Pedantic I know but the majority get these words wrong and as you say it then becomes the norm

I am as guilty as any ... my knowledge of English was grudgingly reiceved between happily going to Maths, Science and PE classes .... my idea of hell at school was to be asked what some average 18th century poet meant by a certain line .... with foreboding I knew my answer would land me a detention every time ......

Last edited:
I am as guilty as any ... my knowledge of English was grudgingly reiceved between happily going to Maths, Science and PE classes .... my idea of hell at school was to be asked what some average 18th century poet meant by a certain line .... with foreboding I knew my answer would land me a detention very time ......
I remember being excited that I could skip two periods of English each fortnight to attend religious education...sadly, after two sessions I was asked not to return :devil::angel:. Then I once had an Engineering professor who would deduct 10% of any assignment score for any incorrect use of effect and affect. The stress that that caused still affects? me today and even when I know I have it right I still have to look it up to be sure.
Anyway, to avoid the over use of Americanised spellings (and Zs) I have finally changed my browser spell check to English -Australian!
upload_2019-6-25_13-44-27.png

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10