Defence - This Is The Good Stuff

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Plenty may have seen this article and those that have not....will kind of expect it.
Just gets me pumped to read this stuff....the tough old school, unfashionable way of getting tough and bringing back the Manly I love to see rip and tear !!

Hasler brings defence back to Manly

Des Hasler's return to Manly is being built around defence and his players are feeling the brunt physically and mentally. Hasler's task to rebuild from the rubble of the Sea Eagles' 15th-placed 2018 season is a far cry from the one he faced before departing in 2011 after overseeing two premierships from three grand finals. His influence has been strong and sweeping, with the first public signs to go on show in Manly's opening trial match against Cronulla on Saturday. Players know they can't get away with anything with more cameras around training, and regular video reviews of each session.
Sessions have been longer too, with mentally-drained players challenged in defence. Crucially, the Sea Eagles let in an NRL-worst 622 points last season, over 150 more than Des Hasler's season average across his coaching career. His teams are usually renowned for defence. Manly have conceded more than 500 points in the past three seasons. Hasler has only done that three times in his 14 years of coaching. There are some innovations from Hasler though. The play-making forward model he used at Canterbury is gone, with Trbojevic certain the Sea Eagles will make far more use of their halves. And while Cherry-Evans told teammates Hasler would be "entirely different" , he's revelling in returning to football under his former mentor.

Plenty may have seen this article and those that have not....will kind of expect it.
Just gets me pumped to read this stuff....the tough old school, unfashionable way of getting tough and bringing back the Manly I love to see rip and tear !!

Hasler brings defence back to Manly

Des Hasler's return to Manly is being built around defence and his players are feeling the brunt physically and mentally. Hasler's task to rebuild from the rubble of the Sea Eagles' 15th-placed 2018 season is a far cry from the one he faced before departing in 2011 after overseeing two premierships from three grand finals. His influence has been strong and sweeping, with the first public signs to go on show in Manly's opening trial match against Cronulla on Saturday. Players know they can't get away with anything with more cameras around training, and regular video reviews of each session.
Sessions have been longer too, with mentally-drained players challenged in defence. Crucially, the Sea Eagles let in an NRL-worst 622 points last season, over 150 more than Des Hasler's season average across his coaching career. His teams are usually renowned for defence. Manly have conceded more than 500 points in the past three seasons. Hasler has only done that three times in his 14 years of coaching. There are some innovations from Hasler though. The play-making forward model he used at Canterbury is gone, with Trbojevic certain the Sea Eagles will make far more use of their halves. And while Cherry-Evans told teammates Hasler would be "entirely different" , he's revelling in returning to football under his former mentor.
Thank you @maxta . Melodic Music to my ears ....

Another great thread @maxta
Just great reading.
I remember last time he took over as coach he broke a players ankle in the tackling sand pit he had going.
Now he broken them down he's rebuilding them.
The only way he knows how...

I've said on other threads, defence shows a lot about the culture and attitude in a team. It's not usually the most sexy role, but it shows players willing to get stuck in, work hard.....and really having say 10 tackles next to your name or 11.......it's not exactly a badge of honour for most players. Sure Jake and others would love to see 40+ tackles next to their name, but those guys are the exception.

It's hard, dirty work....with realistically little recognition, so when you get guys doing it.....you know things are good.

It's funny I remember Mark Waugh talking about fielding in the Australian Cricket Team at one point and saying how fielding points to culture, if a team is hungry in the field, running after that ball that might not make the fence for 4, it shows a real selflessness.

In 2011 we played the bulldogs and we were leading by over 30 points. In the last minute or two someone made a breakaway....I think it was Barba. We had 6....that's right 6 Sea Eagles turn and chase him all the way to the line (Killer, Wolfman and others). I remember watching it and thinking 'we'll win the comp this year!!' It was just such a show of mental strength and team culture that with the game over, they still put in that effort, which meant nothing......but in reality meant everything to their attitude.

I've said on other threads, defence shows a lot about the culture and attitude in a team. It's not usually the most sexy role, but it shows players willing to get stuck in, work hard.....and really having say 10 tackles next to your name or 11.......it's not exactly a badge of honour for most players. Sure Jake and others would love to see 40+ tackles next to their name, but those guys are the exception.

It's hard, dirty work....with realistically little recognition, so when you get guys doing it.....you know things are good.

It's funny I remember Mark Waugh talking about fielding in the Australian Cricket Team at one point and saying how fielding points to culture, if a team is hungry in the field, running after that ball that might not make the fence for 4, it shows a real selflessness.

In 2011 we played the bulldogs and we were leading by over 30 points. In the last minute or two someone made a breakaway....I think it was Barba. We had 6....that's right 6 Sea Eagles turn and chase him all the way to the line (Killer, Wolfman and others). I remember watching it and thinking 'we'll win the comp this year!!' It was just such a show of mental strength and team culture that with the game over, they still put in that effort, which meant nothing......but in reality meant everything to their attitude.
Not giving in says everything , and more!

Those disgraceful performances last year were largely caused by just not giving a ****.

You’d have Jake yelling at them and almost in tears behind the line and most of the rest looking like “ yeah but nah”.

I can handle getting beaten IF the team are doing the best they can.

What I can’t handle is capitulation

Not giving in says everything , and more!

Those disgraceful performances last year were largely caused by just not giving a ****.

You’d have Jake yelling at them and almost in tears behind the line and most of the rest looking like “ yeah but nah”.

I can handle getting beaten IF the team are doing the best they can.

What I can’t handle is capitulation

In the last 10 years I had never stopped watching games, didn't matter if we were losing, I could see the effort. The pain of losing....I'd watch. Because you could see some good things in our losses.

I would say 6 or more times last year I just turned off. My wife always says when I'm loud.....I'm enjoying it. When I'm dead quiet (which I was a number of times last year), there is something wrong, because.....well there was just nothing to get excited about. Lifeless....

In the last 10 years I had never stopped watching games, didn't matter if we were losing, I could see the effort. The pain of losing....I'd watch. Because you could see some good things in our losses.

I would say 6 or more times last year I just turned off. My wife always says when I'm loud.....I'm enjoying it. When I'm dead quiet (which I was a number of times last year), there is something wrong, because.....well there was just nothing to get excited about. Lifeless....
It was terrible to watch, I forced myself but it was hard.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8