De Belin verdict will not change the NRL’s stand down policy (RLPA to challenge)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not really. If he doesn't have an NRL ratified contract then he is not stood down and is just at the mercy of the legal system.. If a club wants to sign him up the the NRL can just choose to not validate that proposal due to his legal status.

What a mess.
No I mean more around the fairness of the stand down rule.

When contracted the NRL would say that the player is still getting paid and there is no presumption of guilt.

Now De Belin, will be missing out on 800k that he would otherwise be earning

What do all the other sports in the rest of the world do?
I completely understand the stand down policy. From a PR perspective (and let's face it, this is everything) it's a very bad look to have possible rapists and (attempted) murderers running out to play your game every week.
As for the problems for the individual player, like so much in life, that's what their particular journey is. I do think, however, that if a player is out of contract during the stand down, that the NRL must provide them with an equivalent pay packet to the last they were on while they prevent them from working.

I completely understand the stand down policy. From a PR perspective (and let's face it, this is everything) it's a very bad look to have possible rapists and (attempted) murderers running out to play your game every week.
As for the problems for the individual player, like so much in life, that's what their particular journey is. I do think, however, that if a player is out of contract during the stand down, that the NRL must provide them with an equivalent pay packet to the last they were on while they prevent them from working.
But it is OK for CONVICTED felons to run around each week eg Lodge and Packer?

But it is OK for CONVICTED felons to run around each week eg Lodge and Packer?
Good point.
Take professional boxing for an example; they wouldn't have sufficient heavyweights to pit against one another if you had to be a cleanskin.

Was thinking the same thing in terms of what may be the case or guidelines in other sporting bodies but nothing is stopping De Belin from seeking any alternative employment when his current or recent footy contract expires , though unfortunately his reputation is still under a real cloud . Certainly have to agree with the judge in regard to the anticipated delay for a re trial . Just a real conundrum and now difficult situation for them both [ and not to mention for the alleged victim ] , De belin and Sinclair could be guilty up to their eye balls but at the same time may not be of course and consequently being seriously disadvantaged during this protracted process . Can understand the position of the N R L but also the possible inflexibility and unfairness factor with the severe disruptions to their lives and more particularly footy carers if in the eyes of the law at least , they may well be not as culpable [ or guilty ] for their alleged actions .

Just posted in the main DeBellin thread ... we have entered the realms of "Justice delayed is justice denied" territory ...

Rugby league players are again challenging the NRL's controversial no-fault stand down policy, but this time they may win.

The players argue the policy was introduced in February last year without proper consultation, which would be in breach of their contractual agreement.

"The RLPA is currently engaged in a confidential and private dispute resolution process under the collective bargaining agreement with the NRL," the RLPA said in a statement.

No easy answer to this. However I can't see why the stood down player couldn't play in the next level down whilst awaiting a decision. It isn't run by the NRL and would atl east mean they are ready to play if found not guilty.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7