De Belin verdict will not change the NRL’s stand down policy (RLPA to challenge)

This is the result of knee-jerk reactions designed to keep people happy, who will never support the sport, or let their kids play the sport....whilst pissing off some people who are committed to the game.

It is clear why the rule was brought in, but I’m not sure there was the anticipation from the league that it could take several years for an opportunity to proves ones innocence.

If it is the case that De Belin will again have to wait another 12 months for a re-trial some thought probably needs to be put into whether there should be a defined amount of time the policy can be in place for whilst waiting for the judicial system.

Clearly some of the jury thought otherwise. Whilst no one could have predicted the delay caused by Covit this case highlights the extreme prejudice of this rule. A vexing issue indeed.

With the Curtis Scott situation the NRL viewed the video footage of the incident and based on that they decided not to stand him down. Which was a correct decision.

They have now laid a precedence that they can be flexible with the rule. Hopefully we have people looking at this based on our players situation.

I think JDB should be able to play based on the duration this has taken, guilty / not guilty the court cannot even decide, 3 years is a long time in a sport where careers are 10 - 12 years in duration.

The issue will become huge when someone is stood down but does NOT have a contract while they are waiting for their trial. De Belin and Fainu are fortunate to continue receiving income and whilst the NRL's policy does not apparently take this factor (i.e. a contract being in place for future years) into account, I can't help thinking Greenflog did take it into account when formulating the policy.

It will be tough for someone to be denied an opportunity to make a living before being afforded the chance to clear their name.

Here is a slippery slope for you.
So no verdict this time. Nrl continue with stand down.
12 months time he's back in court. Once again hung jury no verdict. Under the NRLs own guidelines he hasn't been found guilty or innocent so what then? Can the CP go a third time?

Or in a week CP drop case and he's free to play I guess.

Becomes tricky now that he is out of contract....
Not really. If he doesn't have an NRL ratified contract then he is not stood down and is just at the mercy of the legal system.. If a club wants to sign him up the the NRL can just choose to not validate that proposal due to his legal status.

What a mess.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2