DCE signing paying off already

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
So who thinks Myles, Brown, Korasau, Parcell and the almost signed Walker would have signed had it not been for DCE being at the club long term ? Having him signed will also be pivotal in the Trbojevic brothers resigning in 2018 and beyond.

His signing was an absolute master stroke. Well done to the management team.

Now the premiership flow will continue like now other team can profess to. 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's.

The signing of Walker is a massive coup.

Who would have thought DCE and Dylan Walker would be the 2016 half combination in April when we had lost Foran and DCE and where disapointed in not signing Kane Elgey.
too right! I remember being so depressed!

As an aside, I do think Kane Elgey looks like living up to the hype. Not saying for one second I would swap him for DCE, but geez he looked good at times last year. There were moments where he replicated the exact plays from his NYC youTube video we were all drooling over. The fact that he was able to take his natural game from under 20s and replicate in the top grade in his first season was very impressive.

So Penn promised an international halves pairing and now we have one. Facilities have improved and the roster overhauled. How doe it go, "the future looks so bright I'm wearing shades" or something to that effect.

Surely now it's time to throw off the negativity of the 2015 season and get 100% behind the Club and the team.

So Penn promised an international halves pairing and now we have one. Facilities have improved and the roster overhauled. How doe it go, "the future looks so bright I'm wearing shades" or something to that effect.

Surely now it's time to throw off the negativity of the 2015 season and get 100% behind the Club and the team.
Yeah but Toovey rabble rabble!!!

The problem with 2015 was the extraordinary, long drawn out process for selecting a replacement for Toovey. Pretty much everyone understands Toovs was a goner from the moment of the Penn takeover. Being on the wrong side of the fence.

You can't really pick the squad without knowing the coach, because he'll want a huge say.

Once Barrett was locked in and Bozo was the recruiter, recruiting has taken off.

DCE was all but signed this time last year.
All that's happened since then is that they've lost him and then been forced to pay overs to get him back. It's a stuff up.

Daly apparently signed (by what I've read) a contract worth 1 mill to 1.1 mill per season. The club upon signing, has said that he is their "marquee player" (watch the Kelly interview very soon after on the official site), which entitles 600k worth of 3rd party deals (if Kelly / Penn / Barrett / Zorba are worth their salt which I think they might be in this area) to reduce that cap hit.

Therefore, Daly's true cap hit given 3rd party agreements would be more along the lines of $400k - $500k.

This isn't then taking into consideration Daly joining our youth team (NYC) in 2008. Given this, 7 full years at the club including junior years, means Daly's tenure means he can be part of the long serving player allowance reduction. We know that is $200k per club. While we'd have a few players that JUST miss out like Jake and Tom, we'd have Stewart, Matai, Buhrer and Daly. Assume that dispensation is split equally (even though I don't think it would be applied to Buhrer or maybe Matai by the club, but more towards Stewart / Daly), worst case, that's another reduction in cap hit of minimum $50k, bringing his cap hit to $350k - $400k (or LESS).

THEN, more might of been built into Daly's contract like Education or Transport allowances (which aren't also included in the cap hit itself) - this might make it $300k - 350k.
All these are within the rules.

This is the reason we have much more cap space than people feel. If that $50k was applied to Daly, people then need to reduce Stewart's, Matai's or Buhrer's (or a combination) but another 150k - so say Matai who might be on 250k - 350k - his actual cap hit might only be 100k - 200k.

THEN use the education allowance and transport allowance in contracts. If you applied that to quite a few players (we all know transport costs are a joke), reduce it yet AGAIN, because Matai for example might be:-

Contract - $300k (made up of:
+ Salary: $160k
+ Long Serving Player Allowance: $100k (not counted against cap)
+ Transport Allowance: $20k (not counted towards cap)
+ Education Allowance (not sure) $20k (not counted towards cap)

So actual cap his is $160k.

That's why people who say we are close to the cap in my opinion, may be really, really off, and in the end, is Daly's contract given what he adds to the team, all that bad? So what if it's 100k - 200k more because Kelly pulled it at one stage to force his hand into a decision.

Daly apparently signed (by what I've read) a contract worth 1 mill to 1.1 mill per season. The club upon signing, has said that he is their "marquee player" (watch the Kelly interview very soon after on the official site), which entitles 600k worth of 3rd party deals (if Kelly / Penn / Barrett / Zorba are worth their salt which I think they might be in this area) to reduce that cap hit.

Therefore, Daly's true cap hit given 3rd party agreements would be more along the lines of $400k - $500k.

This isn't then taking into consideration Daly joining our youth team (NYC) in 2008. Given this, 7 full years at the club including junior years, means Daly's tenure means he can be part of the long serving player allowance reduction. We know that is $200k per club. While we'd have a few players that JUST miss out like Jake and Tom, we'd have Stewart, Matai, Buhrer and Daly. Assume that dispensation is split equally (even though I don't think it would be applied to Buhrer or maybe Matai by the club, but more towards Stewart / Daly), worst case, that's another reduction in cap hit of minimum $50k, bringing his cap hit to $350k - $400k (or LESS).

THEN, more might of been built into Daly's contract like Education or Transport allowances (which aren't also included in the cap hit itself) - this might make it $300k - 350k.
All these are within the rules.

This is the reason we have much more cap space than people feel. If that $50k was applied to Daly, people then need to reduce Stewart's, Matai's or Buhrer's (or a combination) but another 150k - so say Matai who might be on 250k - 350k - his actual cap hit might only be 100k - 200k.

THEN use the education allowance and transport allowance in contracts. If you applied that to quite a few players (we all know transport costs are a joke), reduce it yet AGAIN, because Matai for example might be:-

Contract - $300k (made up of:
+ Salary: $160k
+ Long Serving Player Allowance: $100k (not counted against cap)
+ Transport Allowance: $20k (not counted towards cap)
+ Education Allowance (not sure) $20k (not counted towards cap)

So actual cap his is $160k.

That's why people who say we are close to the cap in my opinion, may be really, really off, and in the end, is Daly's contract given what he adds to the team, all that bad? So what if it's 100k - 200k more because Kelly pulled it at one stage to force his hand into a decision.
I think it's safe to assume they got Daly his third party deals and they aren't the Jonno's Spare Tyres deals you can get that are likely to fall through. He has Nike, Rebel & Foxsports - they are at least the ones I'm aware of.

The signing of walker means someone has to get released. I'm hoping it is a forward as Hiku has so much to offer and can play any where except half back in the backline. If all fit and well at the start of the season the side will be one of the top rosters of the NRL.

The signing of walker means someone has to get released. I'm hoping it is a forward as Hiku has so much to offer and can play any where except half back in the backline. If all fit and well at the start of the season the side will be one of the top rosters of the NRL.
The club has all ready stated on the record that they don;t need to shift ANY players to sign Walker.

The OTHER win move was, and don't shoot me, was a new COACH.

There must be a saying about the imagined potential of the unknown to be more exciting than the real potential of the known.

Barratt was, I reckon, critical in keeping DCE and would have been part of the plan.

• 🤝
Reactions: Ben
Didn't Myles sign with the club prior to DCE backflipping?

Didn't the club (with Toovey as coach) already all but seal a deal with DCE in late 2014, only for the new owners to renege and force it back into negotiations?

Would Brown and/or Api have considered Manly if Barrett wasn't given the heads-up he's the 2016 coach?

Does Parcell looking for opportunities in a breakout Q-Cup season really mean he's scouring team lists so he can pick-and-choose who he'd rather play with?

The club has all ready stated on the record that they don;t need to shift ANY players to sign Walker.

That's true but I think they have to move some to sign the mysterious Origin player which could be Klemmer.

Didn't Myles sign with the club prior to DCE backflipping?

Didn't the club (with Toovey as coach) already all but seal a deal with DCE in late 2014, only for the new owners to renege and force it back into negotiations?

Would Brown and/or Api have considered Manly if Barrett wasn't given the heads-up he's the 2016 coach?

Does Parcell looking for opportunities in a breakout Q-Cup season really mean he's scouring team lists so he can pick-and-choose who he'd rather play with?

The DCE backflip was broken by Molan ages before it happened. It probably would have been announced sooner if it had been kept under wraps better. I can all but guarantee that Myles knew about it well before it was announced.

The DCE backflip was broken by Molan ages before it happened. It probably would have been announced sooner if it had been kept under wraps better. I can all but guarantee that Myles knew about it well before it was announced.
So, while the season was going down the gurgler with talk of Manly losing both halves, why did the club and/or DCE wait four weeks (at least) to break the news the fans and rest of the squad wanted to hear?

So, while the season was going down the gurgler with talk of Manly losing both halves, why did the club and/or DCE wait four weeks (at least) to break the news the fans and rest of the squad wanted to hear?

To save face after it was leaked when they weren't ready to announce anything. I would hazard a guess that they were in the VERY early stages of working it all out when Molan broke the news.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7