Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[Resurrected] DCE... Myth or legend?

40 years an eagle

He could take a pay cut though, bring him even with Turbo.
DCE needs to take a pay cut so he's on the same money as Tom? I imagine after TPA's, Marquee Player Allowance and Long Service Allowance he probably already is...and he plays twice as many games as Tom.

In saying that, it is damned obvious to anyone with even reasonable accounting skills that with the total funds available to our club; ie cap, TPA's and lack of "secret benefactors", it is impossible to compete with the "big money" clubs when we pay such a huge percentage of our available total on just 3 players, especially since this new rule.

All 3 are being paid overs and it is debilitating our possible roster. They all need to take a pay cut, 6-700k between them.

Mataiforerver

DCE is a great player and has been about our only good back since Tom has been out (besides Dragons match).

His performances aren’t the issue, he’s still a gun, just on too much money for a club that has poor roster management like us.

When you look at the 150-300k players in our squad we have nuffies. Elliott, Waddell, Croker, Taufua, Boyle. Sipley doesn’t even get a gernsey = waste.

Compare that to other teams 150-300k players: the outlier example is the Morris bros, but even look at Storm. Nicho Hynes, Brenko Lee to name a couple. These top sides have better depth/cheap players and a willingness to play youngsters than Manly.

DCE is overpaid taking this into consideration. I would still say he is worth about 1m. Unfortunately him and the Trbos have hamstrung us for a few years to go.

Our ability to win a premiership / make top 4 over next few years won’t be based on our marquee players: it’ll be based on our 200-300k signings who are great value for money and can play a role. Not the spuds you see now in Elliott, Taufua, Waddell, Croker and co.

Cioran

Several regular posters defend Cherry by - quite rightly - pointing out that he doesn’t have the players around him to dominate and control the game. Have a look at what Foz does in what is arguably a worse team. The only time the Bulldogs look dangerous is when Foz has the ball in his hands. He gives the team structure and direction. Unfortunately for him every good thing he does is undone by a dropped ball or some special bit of stupidity from Lewis.

Those of use that are critical of Cherry don’t expect him to carry the team to victory on his back. We just want him to take control and to give the team structure and direction.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Several regular posters defend Cherry by - quite rightly - pointing out that he doesn’t have the players around him to dominate and control the game. Have a look at what Foz does in what is arguably a worse team. The only time the Bulldogs look dangerous is when Foz has the ball in his hands. He gives the team structure and direction. Unfortunately for him every good thing he does is undone by a dropped ball or some special bit of stupidity from Lewis.

Those of use that are critical of Cherry don’t expect him to carry the team to victory on his back. We just want him to take control and to give the team structure and direction.

I think the same applies to DCE. He often plays a one man band in attack, and he's also an excellent defender. If DCE is off his game, Manly also are often seriously off their game.

sheridanstand78

The decision to award DCE a contract of that length and cost in 2015 is now really making it tough for the salary cap. DCE is a solid half back and on occasions he is brilliant. His achillies heel is that he does not manage games consistently. This is what our team really needs from him and I would expect that there will be a conversation at some stage about whether the time is right to move him on as we need to be careful about his successor and be ready for when he does eventually leave.

He has great skills in relation to field goals and 40/20s. I would love to see him take the line on more as the really good halves do that frequently. What he really needs is a consistent 5/8 and since 15 he has not had enough of that.

ManEagle

Personally I think DCE is having to defend to much, he has always been a good defender and very fit, but just seems to be even more now which maybe effecting his creativity and game management.
The age old adage of running at the a creative half to blunt him in attack is working a treat specially as DCE is usually the first or there about in cover and chasing down breaks.

JackDaytona

dce good player makes too much coin though not worth that but what you gonna do with a problem like maria

The Who

Premium Member
Without Turbo, DCE doesn't have an attacking weapon.
Oppositions know this and don't give him any space to move.
That's why we need the creative Shoe somewhere in the team.

Little Grubber Kick

All 3 are being paid overs and it is debilitating our possible roster.
The awful irony is that if we do actually go ahead and give a bunch of youngsters game time.......and they all go well.......then in reality all we'd have done is showcase them to other clubs......who will then price them out of our range.........

a diabolical catch 22

(the only way our top 3 should be on the money they are is by Eastern Suburbs style 'gifts' from a benefactor who doesn't mind not making tax claims on the funds........shhhhh)

Cioran

The awful irony is that if we do actually go ahead and give a bunch of youngsters game time.......and they all go well.......then in reality all we'd have done is showcase them to other clubs......who will then price them out of our range.........

a diabolical catch 22

(the only way our top 3 should be on the money they are is by Eastern Suburbs style 'gifts' from a benefactor who doesn't mind not making tax claims on the funds........shhhhh)
Sadly true. If we give them game time and they show promise odds are they will be in Roosters or Storm colours in 12 months. Maybe why Des dropped Cust from the 17 and has been reluctant to run Schuster and Funa.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Points that need saying

1. You pay for quality, especially at 1,6,7 and 9. Maybe we paid too much, but with a lesser player costing less, it may increase buying power, but you still need the star quality at No 7 or you are going no where.

2. Its not DCE's fault, though many seem to be blaming him for his huge salary. He was on the verge of accepting around $7-800,000 a year but Manly dropped him hoping to hold onto Foran. Fulton then had to go cap in hand and offer overs to have him break a contract with Gold Coast which was around $1,000, 000 a year, and we know what DCE had to face as a consequence of that turn around. Had already bought a house up there. The blame for his contract has far less to do with DCE, and more to do with a club in crisis making odd decisions such as with Foran and Gutherson.

3. DCE may have off games from time to time...all players do. But to question his commitment is folly.

4. Other than the Gold Coast issue and his involvement in the incident with Hastings (and who really knows what happened there except the players), little has ever been reported of negativity in his personal life. He's a very positive image for the club and a well spoken one who has been shown lately to stand up for players rights and speaks quite intelligently and rather eloquently.

5. He has been the difference in getting Manly over the line to win in a large number of matches.

Cant understand why he is so often under the pump, and even here among the supporters. He's not God, he makes mistakes. But I would want him on the field more than any other half I can think of. He's surely one of the last players in the team deserving of criticism.

JackDaytona

Points that need saying

1. You pay for quality, especially at 1,6,7 and 9. Maybe we paid too much, but with a lesser player costing less, it may increase buying power, but you still need the star quality at No 7 or you are going no where.

2. Its not DCE's fault, though many seem to be blaming him for his huge salary. He was on the verge of accepting around $7-800,000 a year but Manly dropped him hoping to hold onto Foran. Fulton then had to go cap in hand and offer overs to have him break a contract with Gold Coast which was around $1,000, 000 a year, and we know what DCE had to face as a consequence of that turn around. Had already bought a house up there. The blame for his contract has far less to do with DCE, and more to do with a club in crisis making odd decisions such as with Foran and Gutherson.

3. DCE may have off games from time to time...all players do. But to question his commitment is folly.

4. Other than the Gold Coast issue and his involvement in the incident with Hastings (and who really knows what happened there except the players), little has ever been reported of negativity in his personal life. He's a very positive image for the club and a well spoken one who has been shown lately to stand up for players rights and speaks quite intelligently and rather eloquently.

5. He has been the difference in getting Manly over the line to win in a large number of matches.

Cant understand why he is so often under the pump, and even here among the supporters. He's not God, he makes mistakes. But I would want him on the field more than any other half I can think of. He's surely one of the last players in the team deserving of criticism.
love ya work grizzly old fart

Peter C

Premium Member
He is good but, you could get 2 good halves using the money he is on.
That's all they would be, good halves, nothing special,how many games has DCE brought us from the death, sure we're paying him about 200k more than we should but that's the clubs fault.
If you average out game time and what they're being paid, then Tom is the one we should worry about, along with Walker

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Super Coach Member
He's surely one of the last players in the team deserving of criticism.
I think quite the opposite.....he's Captain, playmaker and our marquee player. He's playing inconsistent football and the team are suffering as a result. I don't understand why he constantly gets a free pass with excuses a mile long as to why things aren't working for him. He deserves the criticism and the only way to shut it up is to start showing some leadership and some form. Plenty of other teams with injury issues and inexperienced halves. Have a think about this - 3 out of 4 of our tries on Friday were when the Warriors were down to 12 men. Thank God for sin bins.

I'll freely admit that on his day he is one of the most devastating running halves in the game, but the conditions that need to occur for that to happen don't seem to be coming together for us currently. So he needs to find another way. Plain and simple.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I think quite the opposite.....he's Captain, playmaker and our marquee player. He's playing inconsistent football and the team are suffering as a result. I don't understand why he constantly gets a free pass with excuses a mile long as to why things aren't working for him. He deserves the criticism and the only way to shut it up is to start showing some leadership and some form. Plenty of other teams with injury issues and inexperienced halves. Have a think about this - 3 out of 4 of our tries on Friday were when the Warriors were down to 12 men. Thank God for sin bins.

I'll freely admit that on his day he is one of the most devastating running halves in the game, but the conditions that need to occur for that to happen don't seem to be coming together for us currently. So he needs to find another way. Plain and simple.

C & C as I see it, and it is only my perspective, Manly has not had an effective attacking backline for several seasons, much because of Turbo's injuries and Walker's trial and injuries. That's two of our three main attacking weapons.

Players like Elliot, John and Matt Wright etc, and even Parker are solid hard working players, but they offer little penetration. You can possibly afford one in the centre for defensive reasons, but not three in the side. Suli is developing and may get a lot better but at present he's very hot and cold. Our wingers are not getting good ball and we've had numerous players at 5/8, some adequate at best, but very disruptive for a backline trying to compete. The general consensus here has been slow and safe, and that's not going to win games.

This leaves a half back who has to virtually be our only attacking part of the back line. That's easy to shut down. When Turbo was playing and especially when Walker was in the centres, the team looked dangerous. It looks pedestrian at present. Cust may solve some of the problem and Funa looks a likely lad. But for so long its been dependent on DCE and the forwards to get us over the line. This last game was the first time in 7 games that the outside backs have outscored the forwards.

Sorry C & C but I think you're looking for a scape goat, when the real problem is the personnel out wide. This latest game is the first time in 7 weeks that the outside backs have outscored the forwards in tries. That to me says there has been a problem out wide, and that, as I've been saying now for well over three years, is the source of our difficulty in winning games.

Check the scorers in the first 6 games. 16 tries, 13 by outside backs, one by a forward. Without Walker and Turbo in the next 7 games, 21 tries, 10 by forwards, 6 by outside backs and three of those were scored in the last game where Funa and Cust were added. Add to that defensive lapses out wide where teams are walking through us. Stands out like a beacon. It aint DCE mate

JackDaytona

C & C as I see it, and it is only my perspective, Manly has not had an effective attacking backline for several seasons, much because of Turbo's injuries and Walker's trial and injuries. That's two of our three main attacking weapons.

Players like Elliot, John and Matt Wright etc, and even Parker are solid hard working players, but they offer little penetration. You can possibly afford one in the centre for defensive reasons, but not three in the side. Suli is developing and may get a lot better but at present he's very hot and cold. Our wingers are not getting good ball and we've had numerous players at 5/8, some adequate at best, but very disruptive for a backline trying to compete. The general consensus here has been slow and safe, and that's not going to win games.

This leaves a half back who has to virtually be our only attacking part of the back line. That's easy to shut down. When Turbo was playing and especially when Walker was in the centres, the team looked dangerous. It looks pedestrian at present. Cust may solve some of the problem and Funa looks a likely lad. But for so long its been dependent on DCE and the forwards to get us over the line. This last game was the first time in 7 games that the outside backs have outscored the forwards.

Sorry C & C but I think you're looking for a scape goat, when the real problem is the personnel out wide. This latest game is the first time in 7 weeks that the outside backs have outscored the forwards in tries. That to me says there has been a problem out wide, and that, as I've been saying now for well over three years, is the source of our difficulty in winning games.

Check the scorers in the first 6 games. 16 tries, 13 by outside backs, one by a forward. Without Walker and Turbo in the next 7 games, 21 tries, 10 by forwards, 6 by outside backs and three of those were scored in the last game where Funa and Cust were added. Add to that defensive lapses out wide where teams are walking through us. Stands out like a beacon. It aint DCE mate
another chicken dinner youre killin it bearfax 40 other guy nil

Members online

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23