DCE getting isolated way too easily.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Trusting your inside hip/shoulder defender on spreads and the contrast of not doing so is best illustrated with a set play from the Warriors to isolate DCE and our left side defenders at the 23min mark.

Left spread at the 23min mark, Brown trusts the inside defender in Buhrer with Jake sliding in support cover as the play unfolds, Lyon trusts Brown and does not get sucked in holds his line and makes the tackle.

Warriors now have the defense more condensed through the middle and Manly's right side, next tackle they spread the ball to the right. Starling turns in and plants a little, momentarily struggles to get across to support Api, Api momentarily looks isolated from Greens point of view when he would of been fine and Green comes in when he didn't need to then struggles to get across and support DCE, DCE holds his usual line doesn't come in and gets isolated with a yawning gap.

It's important the middle defense gets across and slides as early as possible when they think the ball is going out the back, hanging too tight for too long will create a lack of confidence in the next defender being isolated and cause the outside defenders to turn in.

It's all due to the backline being mixed up so much
Which is out of our control, it has been happening for quite some time/years now----more so when we couldn't or struggled to contain power plays and didn't have the confidence the inside defender could make the tackle.

We are improving but this isolation of our left side at the moment is way too easily exposed, you can still have the weakness but make it a little more difficult to take advantage of.

Last edited:
To be honest though the second man plays executed in the left spread were poorly executed with too much depth and not engaging the defense, giving the defense time to hold back and make the correct decision---it didn't matter though because the Warriors were preparing for the right side spread to isolate DCE.

Trusting your inside hip/shoulder defender on spreads and the contrast of not doing so is best illustrated with a set play from the Warriors to isolate DCE and our left side defenders at the 23min mark.

Left spread at the 23min mark, Brown trusts the inside defender in Buhrer with Jake sliding in support cover as the play unfolds, Lyon trusts Brown and does not get sucked in holds his line and makes the tackle.

Warriors now have the defense more condensed through the middle and Manly's right side, next tackle they spread the ball to the right. Starling turns in and plants a little, momentarily struggles to get across to support Api, Api momentarily looks isolated from Greens point of view when he would of been fine and Green comes in when he didn't need to then struggles to get across and support DCE, DCE holds his usual line doesn't come in and gets isolated with a yawning gap.

It's important the middle defense gets across and slides as early as possible when they think the ball is going out the back, hanging too tight for too long will create a lack of confidence in the next defender being isolated and cause the outside defenders to turn in.

With a sliding defence you all have to slide. The problem is at some point the attack switches direction & the winger has been sucked in too far.

It is not an outright sliding defense, it is about sliding across in the middle once the play unfolds to help the inside edge defenders not get isolated.
Yeah I understand but the very nature of it means you will be leaving holes especially with a quick change of direction. Someone is always being sucked in & the line moves along. Someone misses a tackle & you slide further. It's very hard to get right especially when the opposition change the direction on the play a couple of times. I know I'm talking edges again here but it used to give me the sheits how jamie would always slide in & assist in a tackle & leave wolfman 30 meters to cover. The play would switch back & wolfie copped it from everyone for following jamie in or not following him in. Either way he couldn't win.

Yeah I understand but the very nature of it means you will be leaving holes especially with a quick change of direction. Someone is always being sucked in & the line moves along. Someone misses a tackle & you slide further. It's very hard to get right especially when the opposition change the direction on the play a couple of times. I know I'm talking edges again here but it used to give me the sheits how jamie would always slide in & assist in a tackle & leave wolfman 30 meters to cover. The play would switch back & wolfie copped it from everyone for following jamie in or not following him in. Either way he couldn't win.
All wingers suffer the same backlash, the aim of 90% of wingers is to try and get the hell out of their which is why they all wish to be centres and fullbacks, money wise and less exposed to ridicule defensively on national tv even when it is not their fault.

All wingers suffer the same backlash, the aim of 90% of wingers is to try and get the hell out of their which is why they all wish to be centres and fullbacks, money wise and less exposed to ridicule defensively on national tv even when it is not their fault.
There are a lot of wingers now who charge in when the ball is in the hands of a player 3 or 4 in. All good when he hits his mark in time, same result when he misses. Not a bad defensive move.

There are a lot of wingers now who charge in when the ball is in the hands of a player 3 or 4 in. All good when he hits his mark in time, same result when he misses. Not a bad defensive move.
Best to add an extra pass to your outside and score wider than not come in and score on your inside, every extra pass adds time and an error opportunity along with coming in takes decision making time away and also an opportunity to force an error.

The Manly defence 2nd half handled Johnson far better...sliding far quicker from inside pushing him sideways.
This allows the outside defenders to number up....when a quality attacking player gets a fraction outside on that edge...that player who is forced into a defensive decision as DCE was will be squared up...the only way out when this happens as a plan B, is those outside defenders also jam in, regardless of the inevitable overlap at the time & close it down....when that inside player makes a decision for right or wrong... The outside defenders MUST commit also....not stay wide presenting a hole.

Didn't look very isolated when he kick the field goal left footed on Saturday night.

Maybe we should just stand offside like most other sides. At most you'll cop a couple of penalties then the refs will ignore it. Just study videos of the storm or qld origin for a masterclass.
Or the worriers

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6