David Williams no try

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
What was he meant to do run through his teammate or run over the sideline?  Simpkins and the Hampster should be pensioned off, they were disgraceful tonight.  The raiders try straight after was on the back of a clear forward pass.  Disgraceful. 

The last pass to Best went metres forward.

The rule as written was broken in the obstruction but it is silly. Noone deliberately impeded anyone.

Despite that I think Campese would not have got close enough to him for an effective tackle whether lyon was there or not.   

DSM/CW - your thoughts on Matai's effort to score the vital try last night?

Matai's try was great to watch, he does have a great step when he uses it and if he can start perfecting it he will improve as a player even more

you lot are unbelievable, of course he was obstructed, and campese may not have tackled him effectively , but we won't know because he couldnt get to him, shepherds dont get much more obvious than that.

I agree the defender was obstructed but what was Lyon supposed to do, dissapear?
I thought they could have bought it back for a scrum rather than give the Raiders a penalty because at worst it was an accidental Shepperd.

I didnt say it was deliberate, I said it was obvious.

Most shepherds are accidental, doesn't tmeant they aren't shepherds

It wasn't a try

I thought the one that Robbo nearly burgled was closer to a try, he may have gotten the ball touching the turf a split second before it touched the line.

Wheel, Matai's stepping for the try was good, although I thought the raiders defenders looked tired and disinterested, as they did when Choc strolled through.  If Matai's try had been scored against us I'd be filthy with the defense.  That said, it was a good strong effort and 'he done good'.  However I just hate the way he runs out of the line putting pressure on the outside men.  I wonder what they think of this strategy?  As Kiwi has said on another post, given we were down to 12 men the occasional out of line hit either stops an oppositions movement or lets an opportunity open.  You have to weigh up the action, and it's a split second thing.  Stevie Boy?  an enduring enigma. 

It was a shephard however shephards on kick returns happen many times a game. Should they all be penalised or only if it leads to a try?

The run out of the line is 1 of Des' plays i reckon DSM

He used to use with Hoppa, and since Hoppa departed Matai seems to be that man

Last season when i attended the finals game it seemed to be a set plan, because we changed our lineup before a big hit. I started to watch it pretty closely, and nearly every time before Matai charged in for a big shot he would swap positions in the line with Orford, moving 3 in

Nobody could argue that the Lyon obstruction was not accidental.

Id be interested to hear why people think the obstruction was worthy of a penalty rather than a scrum and why people think that play shouldn’t have been allowed to go on as normal ??

Wheel, I thought Matai's effort to score that try was sensational. Getting the ball back just prior to it was also fabulous. In general he was very good for us.

Fro link said:
you lot are unbelievable, of course he was obstructed, and campese may not have tackled him effectively , but we won't know because he couldnt get to him, shepherds dont get much more obvious than that.

Disagree mate. The obstruction rule is about which player you have run "BEHIND" to gain an advantage. Williams didn't run behind anybody. If that was an obstruction, any defending team should bolt straight into the attacking teams line each tackle, then attempt to make tackles - and it would be obstruction every time.

Disagree all you like :)

He was still stopped from getting to him, by your definition all he has to do is be facing him, then he is in front of him

Ryan link said:
Disagree mate. The obstruction rule is about which player you have run \"BEHIND\" to gain an advantage. Williams didn't run behind anybody. If that was an obstruction, any defending team should bolt straight into the attacking teams line each tackle, then attempt to make tackles - and it would be obstruction every time.

Ryan: The rules make no mention of 'Behind" or any positional reference. Impedence is the issue.

Fro: why shouldn’t play have been allowed to go on as normal ? and if play must be stopped why was that play penalised rather than a scrum ?

Jatz Crackers link said:
Ryan: The rules make no mention of 'Behind\" or any positional reference. Impedence is the issue.

Fro: why shouldn’t play have been allowed to go on as normal ? and if play must be stopped why was that play penalised rather than a scrum ?

Sorry missed this yesterday, simply because the Canberra player was impeded from making a tackle.

Fro link said:
Sorry missed this yesterday, simply because the Canberra player was impeded from making a tackle.

By the technical application of the rules it as a no try. The decision to penalise Manly was however an incorrect ruling by the ref and play should have recommenced via a scrum.

Even with a tough assessment, the obstruction cannot be viewed as anything other than accidental. The relevant rules are as follows :

"S15 1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he :
(j) deliberately obstructs an opponent who is not in possession"

"Obstruction can be either active, passive or accidental. Passive obstruction is where a player impedes an opponent by deliberately remaining in his path although he has had the opportunity to remove himself. If a player is in position which is likely to cause obstruction and he feels that any movement by him may aggravate the situation he should raise his hands above his head and thus indicate to the Referee that he is taking no part in the play. Where accidental obstruction irregularly affects the play, the game should be stopped and restarted with a scrum. If play is not affected then the game should not be stopped"

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2