Daly ripe for picking at right price: Orr

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ceagle

Bencher
HE WON a grand final in his rookie year, is touring with Australia, and has been named the best halfback on the planet - but Manly are facing a fight to keep Daly Cherry-Evans.

The manager of Cherry-Evans, Gavin Orr, has warned that he will not hesitate to take the playmaker away from the club if he does not get an upgrade to his $135,000-a-year deal.

There have been suggestions that Cherry-Evans might have an out clause or an option on his deal, which takes him through to the end of 2013, which means the 22-year-old might be a surprise addition to the player market next year.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Orr was tight-lipped on the fine print of the deal, but given that Cherry-Evans has made such a stunning rise to the top tier of NRL players, it is clear he would like his client to have a contract reflecting that.

Melbourne's Cooper Cronk will be off contract at the end of 2012, but Cherry-Evans will no doubt attract similar interest from NRL clubs, whether he is available for 2013 or 2014, given he is the incumbent premiership winning No.7 and now touring with Cronk.

Orr has held preliminary discussions with Manly officials about Cherry-Evans's contract but yesterday he said: ''If they don't look to upgrade in 2012, I can't see Daly wanting to stay.''

Orr said Cherry-Evans could be convinced to follow his coach, Des Hasler, to the Bulldogs, if the club showed an interest.

Many other clubs will be keen to secure a player of Cherry-Evans's calibre, if he is available. South Sydney have been linked with various halfbacks, including Cronk, after losing Chris Sandow to Parramatta. The Storm will be under intense pressure to hold on to Cronk, which means that club might also need a No.7.

Brisbane, too, will have to cope with life without Darren Lockyer and they will no doubt be on the lookout for a halves partner to combine with Peter Wallace should Lockyer's replacements fail to fire. Penrith and Wests Tigers are other clubs that might show an interest.

The Sea Eagles do not deny this and the chairman, Scott Penn, yesterday said he wanted to see Cherry-Evans in a Manly jumper for the rest of his life, but he clearly faces a battle to ensure that happens.

''We're looking at extending him,'' Penn said. ''We've had some very preliminary discussions but, certainly, we want to retain him long term.

''He and Kieran [Foran] are a formidable combination. We'll do everything we can to make sure they're both one-club players. We'd certainly like to see them stay for their whole careers, if possible.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/daly-ripe-for-picking-at-right-price-orr-20111104-1mzyi.html#ixzz1ckaugs3q

Bull**** article. Why? Because DCE and Foran will be well aware of where they want to be in 2013. Clue: not at Manly. I just wish the players would all put their cards on the table now so Toovs and the new Recruitment manager (if Crusher doesn't stay) can build a team from 2013 onwards. The way it is going, Toovs won't have options to grow until 2014 at the earliest

I don't know who I dislike more..player managers or parking inspectors?:s

wombatgc said:

I know what you mean. His other high profile players have been $BW who sacked him, Greg Bird and Nate Miles. What is Cherry doing with him?

ManlyBacker said:
wombatgc said:

I know what you mean. His other high profile players have been $BW who sacked him, Greg Bird and Nate Miles. What is Cherry doing with him?
it feels like they are a dead corpse,everyone is picking at the body,the news just keeps getting worse.Once we were the club that players never wanted to leave,now the coach goes,they cant wait to call the removalist.The other clubs will be having a field day laughing at us

Ceagle said:
There have been suggestions that Cherry-Evans might have an out clause or an option on his deal,
who hasn't these days..hell..I tried to write one into my employment contract too, doesn't really work though when you work for yourself!:p

Just me or does it seem that David Perry comes on the scene and we are falling apart
Or am I pointing the finger the wrong way

Wrong way is my guess. The issues were there long before he came. He was brought in apparently to modernise the commercial aspects of the enterprise. That would appear to be a legitimate aim.

There is no doubt he will get an upgrade to his deal, this is just his manager pushing up his price.

Ceagle said:
There is no doubt he will get an upgrade to his deal, this is just his manager pushing up his price.
And trying to profit for himself, whilst the Club presents an image of some turmoil to the wider public.

master blaster said:
ManlyBacker said:
wombatgc said:

it feels like they are a dead corpse,everyone is picking at the body,the news just keeps getting worse.Once we were the club that players never wanted to leave,now the coach goes,they cant wait to call the removalist.The other clubs will be having a field day laughing at us
Yep, just another maggot.

No player in his right mind would have signed to after 2013.
Why? The NRL tv rights should have gone up and also the salary cap will as well

Jono said:
Bull**** article. Why? Because DCE and Foran will be well aware of where they want to be in 2013. Clue: not at Manly. I just wish the players would all put their cards on the table now so Toovs and the new Recruitment manager (if Crusher doesn't stay) can build a team from 2013 onwards. The way it is going, Toovs won't have options to grow until 2014 at the earliest

I dont think that is fair or true because I believe both want to stay but you cant expect them to stay for significant unders.

I've tried looking at the numbers and I cant see Manly being able to match the offers of other clubs to retain Brett, Glen, Kieran and Daley within the cap. Not unless between they sacrifice some $$.

To keep Daley, Manly need to be able to upgrade his 2012 playing fee by at least $200k. This should keep the amount he could earn for 2012-2014 at Manly at similar level that other clubs could offer him. It will also not overload the cap for 2013-2014 which is really going to get tight. If they cant upgrade his 2012 playing fee by the amount Daley wants and you have to remember the season has already started and players are due their first monthly payment next week, then he will almost certainly be lost in a open market bidding war. Therefore a deal needs to be done soon.

Lussick is the same situation. His worth on the open market could conceivably be as much as $150k more than what he is on. I can see a club speculating on him being a real top class forward.

As far as the scenario with Keiran like I have said before I believe the Roosters are loaded ready to make him a big offer and so Manly would be trying to make room in the 2013-2015 cap to try to match that offer. But if they conced they have lost Daley then Manly should have enough in the bank.

One thing for sure is this situation has created the need for Manly to resign players for 2013 early and not drag the negotiations out like we have seen recently.

Manly have 5 guns that they want to resign in 2013.

Brett, Glenn, Kerian, Daley and Darcy.

I think it could be a case of prioritising, sacrificing one and making big offers to keep 4 of them rather than risk the situation of coming $50k short for each of them

Player managers are the main reason we have so much unrest in the NRL. DCE was happy to sign a two-year contract for what was a very reasonable $135,000 a season, based on the fact that he was unproven in First Grade.

Now we have this maggot agent saying that DCE won't resign at the end of 2013 unless he gets more money. This is extortion. Of course DCE is worth twice as much as he agreed to, but that was a gamble he and the club took.

I can't see why paying him more now will make him more loyal when the new contract comes up. If DCE continues to improve he'll be a $600,000 a year player from 2014. By then it will be a free-for-all and whoever can pay the most will win.

Player managers sux.

Face it. This is the new world of the NRL and its salary cap crap.

If you win the premiership expect the other clubs to rip you apart. The salary cap encourages it. Player managers encourage it. No cap on coaching staff encourages it.

Even if rival clubs have no room under the cap they and the player managers will put pressure on your cap by you having to spend more of the cap to keep your top players. Ultimately you can't keep them all and then the other clubs get a shot at them.

There is no way you can keep all the players that won you the grand final anymore. Now in 2011 we are finding you can't even keep your coaching staff. Once the staff go many of the players go with them.

Player and staff loyalty to a NRL club is bull.

Thanks NRL for ruining rugby league as the game I once loved.

The only people in league who care about the club are the fans. Everyone else just bleeds what they can out of it, then moves to another club.

Brissie Kid said:
Face it. This is the new world of the NRL and its salary cap crap.

If you win the premiership expect the other clubs to rip you apart. The salary cap encourages it. Player managers encourage it. No cap on coaching staff encourages it.

Even if rival clubs have no room under the cap they and the player managers will put pressure on your cap by you having to spend more of the cap to keep your top players. Ultimately you can't keep them all and then the other clubs get a shot at them.

There is no way you can keep all the players that won you the grand final anymore. Now in 2011 we are finding you can't even keep your coaching staff. Once the staff go many of the players go with them.

Player and staff loyalty to a NRL club is bull.

Thanks NRL for ruining rugby league as the game I once loved.

The only people in league who care about the club are the fans. Everyone else just bleeds what they can out of it, then moves to another club.

So true, unfortunately.

Is it just me or is anybody else sick of hearing that Rugby League is a business these days? I used to like it a lot better when it was a game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6