[Resurrected] Daly Cherry-Evans sees parallels between Dylan Walker and Anthony Milford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Daly Cherry-Evans sees parallels between Dylan Walker and Anthony Milford
Date
February 23, 2016 - 6:00PM
  • 29 reading now
Adrian Proszenko

Daly Cherry-Evans remembers the knives coming out for Anthony Milford just a couple of weeks into last season.

How the critics savaged Wayne Bennett's decision to switch Milford into the halves, blaming the young gun for Brisbane's slow start to the year. Which is why 'DCE' reckons Manly and the rest of the footy world needs to be patient with Dylan Walker's own transition into a five-eighth.

"I hope the expectation on Dylan isn't too high to start the season," Cherry-Evans said.

1456208607219.jpg

Two number 6s: Trent Barrett and Dylan Walker. Photo: Supplied

"I guess the best way to compare it is Anthony Milford last year. He didn't start the year on fire but we all know how he finished it and that was very impressive. If me and Dylan can hit the ground running in round one that would be great, but we understand there might be a few teething issues and hopefully we can develop as the year goes on and do our job the best we can for the team.
"Things can change if you give people a bit of time.

"I think the club is going to give Dylan time [due to] the quality and attributes that he has as a rugby league player. I think if we give him time, let him settle into his role in the side, he's going to develop into a really big headache for opposition sides."

History will show that, despite the outcry, Bennett persisted with Milford at No.6. The reward was a grand final appearance, one that came agonisingly close to premiership glory.

Whether Walker can make the transition as quickly remains to be seen, although tempering expectations will be difficult. The South Sydney centre has already represented the Kangaroos as a three-quarter and is being touted as a Blues No.6 contender, despite the fact he is largely an unknown commodity as a pivot.

However, Walker is unfazed by the fuss and is looking forward to filling the void left by the departure of Kieran Foran to Parramatta.

"Wearing the No.6, especially having a full pre-season under Trent Barrett as a mentor after he was a five-eighth as well, gives you a lot of confidence," Walker said.

"I'm not too worried about it. I played all my junior footy there and only started playing centre three years ago.

"[Cherry-Evans] is awesome, he's done everything in the game you can think of. Him, Steve Matai, Jamie Lyon, blokes like Marty Taupau and Nate Myles – having those guys around me with DCE gives me a world of confidence."

In the absence of Foran, Cherry-Evans expects he will take on more of a leadership role while Walker becomes accustomed to his new surrounds and position.

"I'll definitely try to help him and shoulder a bit more of the load just to help him settle in and find his feet early," Cherry-Evans said.

"I think as the season progresses Dylan will naturally take over more of the duties. It's definitely not a burden and it's definitely not something that I fear. I'm looking forward to the season ahead and my role growing. I think everyone just getting a feel for how we play the game is the most exciting part about the season ahead and how we settle into the year."

New Sea Eagles coach Barrett will have at his disposal a roster of enviable talent. Joining the club in the pre-season are new recruits Walker, Myles, Taupau, Lewis Broan, Apisai Koroisau, Darcy Lussick, Matt Parcell and Tim Moltzen, to name a few.

But perhaps the most significant change is Barrett, who will replace club icon Geoff Toovey.

"I think as a half he's got a little bit of extra time for both me and Dylan because of his history as a halfback which is very, very good for us," Cherry-Evans said of Barrett at the 2016 Fox Sport launch.

"I've been spoilt with halfbacks as coaches for my whole NRL career. For this season I think the way he enjoys to watch rugby league and his team to play rugby league, I think it is going to be an exciting brand of footy.

"Obviously he's going to be a bit nervous taking the reins for the first time as a head coach. I think as players we can definitely help that by getting off to a good start in round one both for the game and the season. If we can do our part I'm sure it's going to make his job a lot easier and make him settle in and be a lot more comfortable."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ny-milford-20160223-gn1i1v.html#ixzz4123AtKyx
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

How did their combo go in the Trial?

Chez and Dylan should be a natural fit, as they have two of the best centers covering their flanks.:rock:
Then Snake to swoop on any and all opportunities :)

DCE is comparing Walker to a guy who walks after he puts in an attacking kick?.

I know I am a fierce critic of Walker and will continue to be so but he is diamonds compared to that guy.

NYEagle

I just skipped through the article quickly & thought WTF Foz is off to Para... Then it mentioned the plodder & all became clear...

Where the **** did this come from? Ok I get it. Six years after the event. Hmmm ............ moving on. Nothing to see here.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6