D.C.E. into the 9's

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
DCE to benefit from late call-up for World Cup 9s

An unexpected World Cup 9s call-up from Australian coach Mal Meninga will make Daly Cherry-Evans a lot fitter heading into the Oceania Test matches.
"To be honest, I was on the couch when I got the call," the Manly skipper told NRL.com about his addition to the squad following Cody Walker's withdrawal.
"So it quickly gave me a kick up the butt and I started to increase the running. I was somewhat ready because I knew I had the Test matches coming up.

"But I did increase the workload and I'm feeling really fit and healthy and excited to play this format again."
Cherry-Evans was speaking at the 2019 Players' Champion awards, where he was voted Halfback of the Year by his peers in the RLPA's "Players 13 Dream Team". It was his first major award since winning the 2014 Dally M Halfback of the year.
The World Cup 9s won't be Cherry-Evans' first foray into the modified game - he played for Manly at the 2014-15 Auckland Nines.

"So it's not unfamiliar to me, but I can't help think this is going to be an even higher level of footy," he said.
"To play alongside some of my teammates, some of these youthful superstars like Josh [Addo-Carr], Ryan [Papenhuyzen] and Kalyn [Ponga], will be amazing."
The Manly skipper is hoping the RLIF tournament will prep him nicely for the Kangaroos Tests against New Zealand (October 25) and Tonga (November 2).

>
"I think there's certain elements I can take to sharpen my skills for the Aussies. One thing I've learned is not to look, or plan, too far ahead," the incumbent Test No.7 said.
"I'll focus in on these Nines because any time you play for Australia you want to win. I definitely want to win a World Nines now that I'm involved in it.
"I want to play my role as best as I can and if that means being in better shape for the Aussie Test matches that's a massive silver lining."

A valued positional kicker in any side, Cherry-Evans has been working a little harder on his ball skills to make sure his delivery to the outside backs is on-song.
"There's always a high level of importance in kicking for any NRL game and Nines will be similar. But the crispness of passing has to be top-shelf," he said.
"There's going to be a lot of space and opportunity at times. If your passes are at someone's feet, or behind them, then you are slowing down momentum of your outside backs.

"It will be those backs who win you the most games."
Looking at the competition, the Maroons skipper said Fiji and the Kiwis look the toughest to beat.
"I think Fiji will be extremely unpredictable in the style they play. They have plenty of ability and they've shown through their Sevens rugby program. It will be ad-lib and fast.
"But then there's New Zealand. They will be really tough with players like [Jamayne] Isaako, [Ken] Maumalo, [Charnze] Nicoll-Klokstad, Shaun Johnson and Dylan Brown weaving things together.
"I also think Nines will throw up a few surprise packets."
Australia's first game is against the Kiwis on Friday night.

Looking forward to the 9's myself....but agree on the injury stuff....if even 5% off, don't risk that damn ankle !!

I’m sorry. I think for all the money the club is paying him, he has a responsibility to rest that ankle.

Want him fit for the start of next year. He rushed coming back for Origin and played under an injury cloud for the rest of the season. The nines are not very important in the scheme of things.

All top sportsmen are confidence players ... all of them ..... to be selected as the RLPA half of the year ... plus the test team ... plus the nines ... plus the SOO Captaincy .... can only go towards DCE realising his destiny of another Premiership .....

He went through a few lean years .... he is back bigger and better than ever baby ...... and Manly will reap the rewards ....

9s are on? That crept up on me ... should be great! Looking forward to a Kumul victory somewhere and love the island nations ... imagine facing the Fiji backs wow :) can't wait! Also great to see the ladies game so prominent!!

What’s happened to the ‘Agree’ button? I wanted to give Woodsie a green tick.:)

The interesting thing will be seeing how DCE and Clitherson get along in the same side. I think the latter thinks DCE’s mammoth deal was a key factor in the Clinster’s forced removal.

Just quote his post then write 'me too' or 'I agree' or something like that. It takes about 10 seconds longer but conveys a similar meaning, probably even gives you a bit more flexibility in exactly how you agree ;)

I really don't think DCE needed to run around in this tournament as he has had a heavy schedule this season and has test matches coming up. It's a shame Turbo is injured I reckon he would have killed them in the nines.

The interesting thing will be seeing how DCE and Clitherson get along in the same side. I think the latter thinks DCE’s mammoth deal was a key factor in the Clinster’s forced removal.
Chez is the king maker as far as Gutho is concerned :rofl:

Just quote his post then write 'me too' or 'I agree' or something like that. It takes about 10 seconds longer but conveys a similar meaning, probably even gives you a bit more flexibility in exactly how you agree ;)

I agree , just type agree, and if you disagree who gives a ****!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7