Cronulla Sharks ready to submit NRL appeal following breach notice

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

James MacSmith
AAP
January 28, 2014 6:41PM

CRONULLA will submit their response on Wednesday to the NRL's breach notice issued over the ASADA scandal, with the Sharks expected to ``vigorously'' contest the charges including a $1 million fine.

After the NRL last month completed its governance review of issues at the Sharks during 2010 and 2011, the club was hit with the hefty fine. Coach Shane Flanagan was suspended for 12 months and trainer Trent Elkin banned for two years.

The three parties were initially given until January 15 to respond before that was extended to January 29.

Cronulla, Flanagan and Elkin are all expected to appeal against the sanctions when they deliver their responses to the breach notices.

When the sanctions were handed down, Cronulla issued a media release saying ``it should be noted that it is our intention to vigorously defend the charges''.

Sharks chief executive Steve Noyce was saying little on Tuesday but indicated the club was finalising the concluding stages of the submission.

``I don't remember that quote but it's part of the process to make sure we are working with good people to put forward a professional, detailed response to the breach notice,'' Noyce said.

``And that's what we have been doing. We will finalise the submission tomorrow and then deliver it to the NRL.''

Noyce declined to say whether sports scientist Stephen Dank, whose work at the club is under scrutiny, has been interviewed as part of the Sharks' submission.

Flanagan has reportedly hired a powerful legal team in a fight to clear his name as he sits idle, while assistant coach Peter Sharp spearheads the Sharks' 2014 premiership campaign.

``That's a separate submission,'' Noyce said.

Elkin, sidelined from his role at Parramatta, is also expected to argue against his lengthy ban.

Once the NRL receives the submissions, it will review them before a final determination is made.

How long that process might take is unknown but it could set off a string of legal disputes that could drag on throughout the 2014 season.

The NRL review handed down on December 17 said the ``findings have identified serious failures on the part of the club and certain individuals who had a responsibility to safeguard the health and welfare of its players''.

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority investigation into the issue remains ongoing almost a year since Australian sport's so-called ``darkest day'' on February 7 last year.

Canberra winger Sandor Earl, who was issued with a breach notice following his admission to the use and trafficking of a peptide, is the only player charged.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/cronulla-sharks-ready-to-submit-nrl-appeal-following-breach-notice/story-e6frf3ou-1226812356722

James MacSmith
AAP
January 28, 2014 6:41PM

CRONULLA will submit their response on Wednesday to the NRL's breach notice issued over the ASADA scandal, with the Sharks expected to ``vigorously'' contest the charges including a $1 million fine.

Click here to read the full article.

Related article:

Playing ball with NRL offers Sharks big savings

January 29, 2014
Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

Cash-strapped Cronulla will risk being a further $400,000 out of pocket by contesting the provisional sanctions the NRL imposed upon them over the supplements scandal.

Seriously, why are they contesting it. How dare they. They had the stupidity to implement a PED program in this day and age. They never thought it was going to get out?

Do they really think the NRL will reduce their penalty? Please. Im unsure what they hope to achieve from this appeal, other than racking up more enormous legal bills

"After the NRL last month completed its governance review of issues at the Sharks during 2010 and 2011, the club was hit with the hefty fine. Coach Shane Flanagan was suspended for 12 months and trainer Trent Elkin banned for two years.

........ Once the NRL receives the submissions, it will review them before a final determination is made."

"The NRL" is a pretty wide umbrella to encompass all.
Would love to know who hears the appeal.

I thought it would have to be persons who had no bearing on the first findings handed down.

lismore_fan said:
…"The NRL" is a pretty wide umbrella to encompass all.
Would love to know who hears the appeal.

I thought it would have to be persons who had no bearing on the first findings handed down.
Haha, you expect principled transparency from the NRL??
(Obviously you've forgotten the 'investigation' into Greenberg.)

Related article:

Cronulla Sharks stand by coach Shane Flanagan as he fights sanctions

Phil Rothfield Sports Editor--at-Large
The Daily Telegraph
January 29, 2014 11:59PM

THE Cronulla Sharks are standing by coach Shane Flanagan as they begin the fight to overturn NRL peptide sanctions.

I know how most people feel about Rebecca Wilson around here but she has written an alright article about the latest on Shane Flanagan for New Ltd today. I more or less agree with all she has said. But its just stating the bleeding obvious really

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/suspended-cronulla-coach-shane-flanagan-needs-to-be-put-back-in-his-box/story-fndujljl-1226841123455

Lord Eagleton said:
I know how most people feel about Rebecca Wilson around here but she has written an alright article about the latest on Shane Flanagan for New Ltd today. I more or less agree with all she has said. But its just stating the bleeding obvious really

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/suspended-cronulla-coach-shane-flanagan-needs-to-be-put-back-in-his-box/story-fndujljl-1226841123455

and that is the second recent article by her that contradicts another of her co-worker's articles. This time it is with Phil Rothfield:

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/buzzwords/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/buzz_nrls_harsh_call_on_flanno/

So which one of these so called journalists has their facts right and speaks the truth?

For me, after going by previous witch-hunt articles from Rebecca Wilson that have been full of fabrication of facts (her articles on the Brett Stewart supposed sexual assault on that girl in 2009 comes immediate to mind), I wouldn't believe a word that she says.

Jethro said:
Lord Eagleton said:

and that is the second recent article by her that contradicts another of her co-worker's articles. This time it is with Phil Rothfield:

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/buzzwords/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/buzz_nrls_harsh_call_on_flanno/

So which one of these so called journalists has their facts right and speaks the truth?

For me, after going by previous witch-hunt articles from Rebecca Wilson that have been full of fabrication of facts (her articles on the Brett Stewart supposed sexual assault on that girl in 2009 comes immediate to mind), I wouldn't believe a word that she says.

Wow, I wonder who lit the fuse on her tampon? Oh wait...it must have been Phil. LOL

Happy with her assessment on second article about the AIS and winter olympics.
As for Flanagan WGAF.

Yes i know it contradicts Rothfield's view Jethro but Rothfield is mates with Flanagan. Same with another mate of his, Daryl Brohman sticking up for him. Mates.

Paul Kent took a similar view to Bec Wilson, questioning Flanagan being at the ground http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/kent-on-saturday-two-ticks-not-enough-to-make-sonny-bill-williams-a-new-south-wales-blue/story-fndujljl-1226841318498

I hope they give him an extra 6 months suspension if he loses his court case, trying to get his suspension overturned. This guy doesnt think he's done anything wrong. Overseeing a cheating program of drug use by his team should be minimum 2 years out of the game. And staying away from all of his former teams games

Lord Eagleton said:
Yes i know it contradicts Rothfield's view Jethro but Rothfield is mates with Flanagan. Same with another mate of his, Daryl Brohman sticking up for him. Mates.

Paul Kent took a similar view to Bec Wilson, questioning Flanagan being at the ground http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/kent-on-saturday-two-ticks-not-enough-to-make-sonny-bill-williams-a-new-south-wales-blue/story-fndujljl-1226841318498

I hope they give him an extra 6 months suspension if he loses his court case, trying to get his suspension overturned. This guy doesnt think he's done anything wrong. Overseeing a cheating program of drug use by his team should be minimum 2 years out of the game. And staying away from all of his former teams games

They have a right to appeal a decision they think is wrong, just the same right we had after the infamous 2009 season launch

You seem very keen to hang them based on newspaper reportings

No its not based on newspaper reportings. Its based on the bleeding obvious. Not everything needs to be compared to our Bretty being hung by media a few years ago. Completely different circumstances. Whatever degree of input Flanagan had into overseeing the performance enhancing drugs, he was still in charge at the time. He's got to take a fall

And the bleeding obvious is all coming from media reports isn't it ? I admit I haven't followed this saga closely over the summer so haven't seen all the info on it. Just every time I have read anything on it you have come out guns blazing against them lol

Can't say I entirely agree with your last line of thought either. Bellamy would have had some input into the player contracts signed at the Storm, he didn't go for a walk. If we were found to be guilty of anything, I'm not sure if I think the coach should pay for something the sports science department did wrong

I will trust the NRL's judgement on this one. They are in possession of all of the facts that are available and have made a decision. I can't make a judgement because I haven't seen what the NRL have seen. I would assume the NRL wouldn't have imposed the sanctions without high level legal advice so there must have been something to it.

The sanctions include staying away from Cronulla 1st grade games, including trials. It's now up to the NRL to decide if that sanction has been breached.

RL Mole is saying his mail is that appeal will fail and that the fine will be imposed and Flanagan will remain suspended. Decision due today

Fox just had NRL News Conference regarding the Sharks Appeal

Flanno-12 months suspension, but can return in 9 months after re education.
He can not be involved with Sponsors either, so he can't watch from a Corporate box

Elkin-registration cancelled

Sharks fine-$1 m stands, 400k suspended subject to governance changes

ASADA still processing findings

HappilyManly said:
Fox just had NRL News Conference regarding the Sharks Appeal

Flanno-12 months suspension, but can return in 9 months after re education.
He can not be involved with Sponsors either, so he can't watch from a Corporate box

Elkin-registration cancelled

Sharks fine-$1 m stands, 400k suspended subject to governance changes

ASADA still processing findings

It's interesting flanno can return after 9 months if he does that re-education as he steadfastly refuses to believe he has done anything wrong. It'd take 12 months on intensive therapy just to get him to admit any liability I reckon.

I think it's just an nrl clause to let him know he can come back earlier if he doesn't make any trouble (like going to games to "watch his son" or bad mouthing the nrl.)

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6