Craig Fields King Hit

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bencher
So, after a long wait, the committal hearing has started. After reading this, doesn't bode well for Fields. Plenty more to come I'm sure.

Let's see if our judicial system can get the right verdict, and sentence. It is not like the "king hit" hasn't been shown to be the cowards way to settle argument, or random jokers out for a good time.

FORMER NRL star Craig Field entered a pub fight and delivered a killer king hit to a man who was not even facing him.

Field had earlier "accosted" the victim's female friend - key Crown witness Lyn Burgher - in one of several heated bar-room exchanges leading up to the alleged one-punch murder.

Field's murder committal hearing, at Lismore Local Court, yesterday heard evidence of "bad blood", including gay slurs and a pie shop fracas, in the lead-up to the fatal fight which claimed the life of Tweed cattle farmer Kelvin Kane.

Field, 40, and co-accused Shaun Fathers, 42, are charged with murdering 50-year-old Mr Kane at Kingscliff Hotel in July last year.

Police allege Field, a former South Sydney Rabbitohs captain who also played for Manly and Wests Tigers, threw the deadly punch but that Fathers was part of the "criminal enterprise".

Ms Burgher said she was at the hotel with friends, including Mr Kane, when she was "accosted" by Field, whom she knew through her ex-partner's rugby league connections.

The court heard Field told Ms Burgher she was a "smart-arse" while Fathers told her she was "nothing but a slut".

"He (Fathers) had his finger up underneath my chin," Ms Burgher said.

"He said something to Craig Field about my gay brother."

Ms Burgher said Fathers was thrown into a police paddy wagon after trying to punch her brother outside a Coolangatta pie shop two months before the pub fight.

The court heard a melee erupted in the Kingscliff Hotel carpark as Mr Kane and Ms Burgher were leaving after their friend was ejected for taunting the bar manager.

Ms Burgher said she saw ­Fathers being restrained and "scowling" at Mr Kane, who reacted by putting his hands in the air.

"He (Mr Kane) said 'listen mate, I don't want to fight you - I don't even know who you are'," she said.

As Fathers and Mr Kane faced off, Field allegedly came in from behind.

"I could see a blur of a man," Ms Burgher told police. "I saw him punch Kelvin once in the temple. Kelvin was looking at Fathers and didn't see it coming."

Ms Burgher told the court: "I know it was Field … he was in my vision."

Under cross-examination, Ms Burgher rejected suggestions she was drunk or that her memory was affected by emotions.

The hearing continues.

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/witness-details-bad-blood-before-deadly-confrontation-with-formernrl-star-craig-field/story-fnii5v6w-1226760213847

Why was he charged with murder, this is manslaughter, are they setting themselves up for a fall by charging him with murder?

A drunken pub carpark fight gone wrong. Who would have thought that possible?

Simply the tragic but inevitable consequence of the culture espoused by some drongos wherein fisticuffs is promoted as the real man's way to settle a dispute.

It doesn't always result in a death, or in someone spending many years in prison, but there are always consequences when a bare-knuckle punch is thrown in anger. Last time I got in a fight the drunken antagonist (an otherwise 'good bloke', who happened to have had a few pro kicking boxing matches under his belt) came around next day to apologise. Meanwhile my mate who had stepped in to help me had busted ribs and couldn't work for several weeks.

This is why I despise that 'let's take it outside' culture. It is a child's way to settle a dispute, not a man's way. (And for those still confused, yes I know sometimes you have to fight to defend yourself or another person, but that is what self defence is – when there is no other reasonable alternative.)

Dan said:
Why was he charged with murder, this is manslaughter, are they setting themselves up for a fall by charging him with murder?
Dan we'd need to know more detail of the case to say. Generally on a murder charge the jury can give an alternative verdict of manslaughter if the evidence supports this.

COMMANDER said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Garts said:
. . . Either way Slater had every right to punch him back.
I didn't see the film but ... for the benefit of any adolescent types reading, who may think behaviour they learn here or on the hill at Brookie has any relationship to standard community values ... be aware of the following:

Provocation is not a defence. It doesn't matter if you are assaulted first. Retaliation is against the law! (So get involved in fist fights by all means, but you do so at your own risk with respect to possible criminal charges.)

Yep, just sit back and take the slapping and wait for the protagonist to come to his "standard community value" senses.

What a load of s**t you've written here.

Slaters response was perfectly normal; in fact the other bloke was lucky he didn't do the same thing to someone of a lesser disposition.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

Simply the tragic but inevitable consequence of the culture espoused by some drongos wherein fisticuffs is promoted as the real man's way to settle a dispute.

It doesn't always result in a death, or in someone spending many years in prison, but there are always consequences when a bare-knuckle punch is thrown in anger. Last time I got in a fight the drunken antagonist (an otherwise 'good bloke', who happened to have had a few pro kicking boxing matches under his belt) came around next day to apologise. Meanwhile my mate who had stepped in to help me had busted ribs and couldn't work for several weeks.

This is why I despise that 'let's take it outside' culture. It is a child's way to settle a dispute, not a man's way. (And for those still confused, yes I know sometimes you have to fight to defend yourself or another person, but that is what self defence is – when there is no other reasonable alternative.)

Dan said:
Dan we'd need to know more detail of the case to say. Generally on a murder charge the jury can give an alternative verdict of manslaughter if the evidence supports this.

Agree 100%

The bigger man is one that can walk away rather than "settle the score"

lsz said:
COMMANDER said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Garts said:
. . . Either way Slater had every right to punch him back.
I didn't see the film but ... for the benefit of any adolescent types reading, who may think behaviour they learn here or on the hill at Brookie has any relationship to standard community values ... be aware of the following:

Provocation is not a defence. It doesn't matter if you are assaulted first. Retaliation is against the law! (So get involved in fist fights by all means, but you do so at your own risk with respect to possible criminal charges.)

Yep, just sit back and take the slapping and wait for the protagonist to come to his "standard community value" senses.

What a load of s**t you've written here.

Slaters response was perfectly normal; in fact the other bloke was lucky he didn't do the same thing to someone of a lesser disposition.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

Dan said:

Agree 100%

The bigger man is one that can walk away rather than "settle the score"

Not according to Tim Sheens and his assessment of the scum slater affair.

Can someone explain to me why he is still the National Coach, undoing all of the good work the NRL has done to teach the young blokes to walk away.

Stevo said:
If a bloke whacks you in the head and you don't snot him back then you're a cat!

What about if he doesn't whack you in the head but calls you a name ? or pushes you in the chest ? or raises his eyebrows in a suggestive manner ? or flips you the bird ? or bumps into you and makes you spill your beer ? or pushes in front of you in a queue ? Where does the cat/big man divide start and finish ?? i just want to make sure I'm on the right side of it.

Heard someone say about this the other day. If Slater had pushed the guy back like the guy pushed him it's almost certain the guy would've started to throw punches at Slater that's why Billy snotted him one. It's basically the Mitch Allgood defense. I punched him first as I thought he would punch me. It's no excuse and is the cause of so many scuffles and unfortunately sometimes leads to someone's serious injury or death. It takes a lot to walk away but if you do for god sake never turn your back on them.

Whether Slater did the right or wrong thing is irrelevant IMO. If the other guy keeps his hands to himself, there is no incident. Don't start something you can't finish.

Stevo said:
If a bloke whacks you in the head and you don't snot him back then you're a cat!

That's precisely the attitude the NRL have been trying to stamp out. It doesn't matter what I think or what you think, but it does matter the the Australian Coach is cheering slater filth on to do precisely what the NRL has been trying to teach all NRL players to do.

Ralphie said:
Stevo said:

That's precisely the attitude the NRL have been trying to stamp out. It doesn't matter what I think or what you think, but it does matter the the Australian Coach is cheering slater filth on to do precisely what the NRL has been trying to teach all NRL players to do.

don't you think being outside a nightclub at 3am is a bit different to being on a football field with a referee?

Like the sands in the hour glass, those are the days of our lives...

The hearing continues:

EX-NRL star Craig Field was portrayed as the peacemaker by one hotel patron at a murder committal hearing today.

But rather than the aggressor, ex-NRL star Craig Field was instead portrayed as the peacemaker by one hotel patron at a murder committal hearing today.

The former South Sydney Rabbitohs captain and co-accused Shaun Fathers are charged with murdering Tweed cattle farmer Kelvin Kane at the Kingscliff Hotel on July 15 last year.

Police allege Field, 40, threw a fatal single punch but that Fathers was a party to the crime.

Lismore Local Court was told of an 'aggro' atmosphere at the hotel in the lead-up to Mr Kane being felled by a punch that sounded like 'a big crack, a big thud'.

Rudi Van Stanten told the court he was drinking at the hotel with his teenage son, who Field coached in football.

Mr Van Stanten said Fathers 'exploded into obscenities' when Lyn Burgher, Mr Kane's friend and the key prosecution witness, walked into the bar.

"He must have had a big problem with her because he just exploded into obscenities, to the point where we had to ask him to stop," he said.

He said Field tried to calm Fathers, who was also being niggled by a 'drunken pest' who had been drinking with Mr Kane and Ms Burgher.

Mr Kane also accused Fathers of grabbing Ms Burgher by the throat.

"'Feathers' (Fathers' nickname) was very fired up and Craig was in front of him trying to calm him down," Mr Van Stanten said.

He said he was 'blown away' when he found out Field had allegedly killed Mr Kane.

"I didn't hear Mr Field say anything violent or threatening to any human being while he was at the hotel," he added.

The court also heard evidence that Mr Kane may have suffered from a heart condition.

Paramedic Anthony Stanford said one of two women who accompanied Mr Kane to hospital told of him suffering chest pains 'for a couple of weeks'.

Mr Stanford also said he initially responded to what he thought was a 'traumatic cardiac arrest'.

Jaymin Pickard-Olesen, one of four teens who stopped playing video games in a nearby unit and went to investigate after the pub fight erupted, said he saw a man 'step in' looking like he was about to throw a punch.

"Then I heard a big crack, a big thud, an impact ... and the other man hit the ground," he said.

The hearing was adjourned until November 25.

If a chick biatch slaps me she's goin' down town fast on the n'pops express.
Kidding really. GE's running away while waving hands manically sounds good. Or do nothing but point to the CCTV camera.
Don't like fighting. Prefer cuddling. Peace Silvertails.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6