Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I mildly panicked there a couple of times because I didn't buy into the whole panic buying frenzy. Was I making a mistake by thinking that it was a gross over reaction ? Just shopped as normal, well as normal as you could given the amount of panic buying going on around us and proliferation of empty shelves and restricted purchases. Guess what ? we (family of 5) made it through without starving, without hand sanitiser, and never ran out of toilet paper - go figure !!!

Love to know how all those next level panic buyers who were prepared to tramble the elderly and infirm in the aisles to secure the last pack of toilet paper feel about their behaviour now.

"Racing has proven that you can continue on and if I had my time again, quite frankly, we wouldn't have stopped the rugby league," said V'landys.
Easy to say in hindsight, but how was he to know. Just like if the Ruby Princess had not been allowed to dock in Sydney, things and indeed the outcome would've probably been a whole lot different.

To get over all the hurdles and the spanners-in-the-works that V'landys has had to conquer since March, the man's a genius! Doubt anyone else could've done it and I take my (Manly) hat off to him.

Been a really interesting time the “ lockdown” , right at the start my wife was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes so a bit of a “ double whammy “, and that changed everything for her , smaller meal sizes , little to no wine ( she has one glass per week ) and a 12,000 steps a day walking regime.

So , I’ve joined in.

I have two beers a week ( ouch) , that won’t continue but the aim is to lose about 20kg ( me) and at least 10 for her, we are currently on 10 for me 7 for her.

Unlike many who found being at home game them an excuse to eat more we were the opposite , being at home allowed us to really control things.

Our food regime will continue for life now , very little carbs lots of veggies and some meat, going out less has helped.

No I’m not going to be a wowser , and yes I’ll enjoy a beer with mates but it will be followed by the suitable restraint following.

And unlike one of those Facebook posts that says “ dunno who did this but it wasn’t me” this is in fact real.

And thank **** the footy is back!!
Well done, that is not easy but its very important, not just for your daughter and grandkids but just in general, because you yourself are a valuable community resource and the longer you are fit and firing the better for everyone!

I mildly panicked there a couple of times because I didn't buy into the whole panic buying frenzy
Lol that sounds like another of your Catch 22 examples :)
I suspect those types are not given to introspection review or analysis of any kind really so they probably think nothing, aside from, 'Now wtf am I going to do with all this toilet paper!??"

Been a really interesting time the “ lockdown” , right at the start my wife was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes so a bit of a “ double whammy “, and that changed everything for her , smaller meal sizes , little to no wine ( she has one glass per week ) and a 12,000 steps a day walking regime.

So , I’ve joined in.

I have two beers a week ( ouch) , that won’t continue but the aim is to lose about 20kg ( me) and at least 10 for her, we are currently on 10 for me 7 for her.

Unlike many who found being at home game them an excuse to eat more we were the opposite , being at home allowed us to really control things.

Our food regime will continue for life now , very little carbs lots of veggies and some meat, going out less has helped.

No I’m not going to be a wowser , and yes I’ll enjoy a beer with mates but it will be followed by the suitable restraint following.

And unlike one of those Facebook posts that says “ dunno who did this but it wasn’t me” this is in fact real.

And thank **** the footy is back!!
What do you have for breakfast Mark? For some reason, it's always my stumbling block with low carbs.

NCTELE_1_2020_05_24_thumb_big.jpg

What do you have for breakfast Mark? For some reason, it's always my stumbling block with low carbs.

Haven’t had bread for 3 months.

You need some carbs in a day anyway so I have boiled eggs a few times a week, rolled oats , weetbix and one fresh fruit breakfast.

No pasta , one third of a cup for cooked rice ( ouch) and if we have potato it’s about 30 grams ( not much at all).

Our fruit and veggie bill is huge , eat loads of salad and green veggies.

We use Ritawheat ( think that’s the name ) bikkies for a sort of sandwhich.

if I can lose 20, maybe 25-30 kg we’ll start to introduce a few things back in and see how it goes.

But with my wife it’s not a “ diet to lose weight “ it’s a total change to the way we eat , forever!!

Haven’t had bread for 3 months.

You need some carbs in a day anyway so I have boiled eggs a few times a week, rolled oats , weetbix and one fresh fruit breakfast.

No pasta , one third of a cup for cooked rice ( ouch) and if we have potato it’s about 30 grams ( not much at all).

Our fruit and veggie bill is huge , eat loads of salad and green veggies.

We use Ritawheat ( think that’s the name ) bikkies for a sort of sandwhich.

if I can lose 20, maybe 25-30 kg we’ll start to introduce a few things back in and see how it goes.

But with my wife it’s not a “ diet to lose weight “ it’s a total change to the way we eat , forever!!
Thanks Mark. I really appreciate the time you've taken here. And good luck though it sounds like you don't need it!

Thanks Mark. I really appreciate the time you've taken here. And good luck though it sounds like you don't need it!

Oh I certainly do, hard to change a lifetime of habits!! Sunday is a great day , I can have two beers!

I was 108 kg when I started , now down to 99.1( this morning).

Long way to go to my goal of below 90.

We are just letting it happen naturally now , doing our 5km a day walks and eating less, might take 6 more months but I’m not worried.

Oh I certainly do, hard to change a lifetime of habits!! Sunday is a great day , I can have two beers!

I was 108 kg when I started , now down to 99.1( this morning).

Long way to go to my goal of below 90.

We are just letting it happen naturally now , doing our 5km a day walks and eating less, might take 6 more months but I’m not worried.

The things you'll do for Eugenie!

Talk of an ‘asterisk’ premiership for this year’s winners is utterly ridiculous, writes PAUL KENT – not least of all because we’d need to add ones to some iconic champions of the past 30 years.

Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
May 25, 2020 8:20pm
Close
They talk about the premiership with an asterisk as though it somehow diminishes this year’s title.

Short memory should not be an excuse.

Somewhere in the middle of all this COVID-19 isolation the asterisk question became a popular topic. Some wanted a whole new experience, a different season altogether because this season could not be salvaged.

Did the first two games count?

The NRL has ruled they do but some continue to argue that for some reason the shortened season and the new rule, under one referee, somehow makes this season illegitimate.

This all turned into a bit of fun one night on Fox League Live when the topic rose again.

Few remember, but the 1991 season began with a bright new idea of unlimited interchange and six rounds in, after some teams ran players on and off 30 and 40 times, everybody agreed it was a disaster.

It changed the fabric of the game so significantly, so quickly, that a simple flick of the pen on a Monday night saw the new rule eliminated and a return to the old four-man, six replacements rule.

No need for a committee back then. Everybody got on with it.

When I asked Greg Alexander whether this rule change put an asterisk next to the title, his club’s first, he answered with the only sensible response he could give.

“No,” Alexander said, the memory coming back. “No, you’re right. There was a rule change.”

Of course this rule change created no asterisk.

Canberra, beaten grand finalists, fought just as hard as Penrith for that title, under the same conditions, the same as North Sydney did and Manly did and the other finalists, Canterbury and Western Suburbs, also did.

They competed under the same rules every weekend, whether it was unlimited interchange or six.

There are two fundamental changes to this season.

The most significant is the return to one referee after 11 years of trying to make the two referee system work.

The argument goes that the season began with two referees and to reduce it to one, three games into the season, is to corrupt what is left of the season.

The six-again rule stirs similar debate.

Changing rules is not new to rugby league.

The corner post rule is regarded as one of the best rule introductions in recent years.

Before round 13, 2010, it didn’t exist. It hadn’t for 102 seasons.

But they changed the rule midway through the season and the game suddenly took to the air. Wingers added a whole new dimension to the game and such was the impact many still regard the rule as a game changer.

Does it diminish the Dragons’ premiership because Brett Morris has the vertical leap of a small forward and no winger was better able to capitalise on the rule change?

Hardly.

Nobody puts an asterisk next to the Roosters’ premiership in 2013.

If anybody remembers that’s the year when the NRL tried to stop block plays and ordered a crackdown, demanding a literal interpretation.

That order was rescinded after round five. All those who had argued for a black and white interpretation were now wondering why there was no discretion allowed and it collapsed under external pressure.

Nine weeks after that the NRL missed a zero tolerance on punching.

It happens all the time.

For more than a hundred years the shoulder charge was a big part of the game and then, in 2015, the NRL ruled after round six that the shoulder charge was banned.

Some very famous names argued it was part of the game’s fabric.

But all you needed to do was mention the name of one man, James Ackerman, to reduce their arguments to dust.

Ackerman was killed when a perfectly legal shoulder charge — that was not a shoulder charge gone wrong, one entirely legal for more than a hundred years, was so severe it ruptured an artery in his neck.

Former chief executive Todd Greenberg ordered a crackdown on ruck infringements to begin the 2018 season.

It lasted five, six weeks, then Greenberg ordered the refs to stop nitpicking.

It will take no more than a few rounds for isolation to be no more than a blunt memory in most of our minds.

The two rule changes introduced in the interim will quickly go the same way.

Parramatta and Brisbane have no advantage in their game on Thursday night that the Roosters and Rabbitohs won’t have the following night.

The Sea Eagles will have no more advantage out of dummy-half on Sunday than the Bulldogs will have opposite them, or that Parramatta will have against them the week after.

Mostly, though, when the season is underway and we push through the later rounds, and we see how hard the teams are fighting each weekend for their win, and how much a loss injures them, and what it means to the players and how much they sacrifice, how can we ever question it.

Talk of an ‘asterisk’ premiership for this year’s winners is utterly ridiculous, writes PAUL KENT – not least of all because we’d need to add ones to some iconic champions of the past 30 years.

Nobody puts an asterisk next to the Roosters’ premiership in 2013.

- I do!

Damn Shame Hayne. What a crook.

Well we all thought Coronavirus had definitely killed the NRL, but along came a white knight in PVL.

I tip my hat to him , he’s been dedicated to the cause from day 1 and whilst it’s been 4 steps forward and 1 back he’s finally got us there.

What a man!!

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys has increased the pressure for crowds to be allowed back at NRL games, calling criticism from medical figures "cliches with fear".

V'landys has declared his intention to have crowds back at NRL matches by July despite ongoing coronavirus concerns, but the medical response was damning.

Well here we are , the 28th of May and PVL was right !!

The footy is back.

And all teams get to play.

IN the NHL they've decided:

31 teams = too many. Bottom 7 - you are out, see you next season.

So 24 teams, 12 in each conference.

Top 4 get a bye, bottom 8 have a play off to see who advances.

So yup...7 teams are out. (sorry fans and sponsors). Players are ok as they get paid in full. No paycuts here!

And all teams get to play.

IN the NHL they've decided:

31 teams = too many. Bottom 7 - you are out, see you next season.

So 24 teams, 12 in each conference.

Top 4 get a bye, bottom 8 have a play off to see who advances.

So yup...7 teams are out. (sorry fans and sponsors). Players are ok as they get paid in full. No paycuts here!

Holy **** that’s harsh

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4