Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

I’m not sure if it has been mentioned previously, but with the likely reduction in both player salary cap and the staffing salary cap, this will force many of the clubs that currently are working with staffing and resources on a much larger scale than us, to reduce those levels heavily.

So I pose the question given we are already running at these lower levels (quite successfully might I add), does that leave us in a better position than other clubs who will have to change their operating considerably?
Yes it will. Plus it will bring back to the field the high spending wealthier clubs in the areas of off field facilities, staff and recovery. I think an isolated competition will really hurt the likes of Broncos, Storm, Rorters with their never ending money pits to sink into the extras.

Thanks. That's really kind........ really appreciate it! I sell Snowboards, Skis and all the stuff that goes with snow ...... Going to be a tough winter but the landlord has been good, suppliers understanding, banks are good and the recent $1,500 per worker will be a big help as I now won't have to lay off my team. As one learned poster put it so eloquently last week at the moment everyone knows they have to "eat 12 **** sandwiches"....... why 12? I don't know but I like it ......

OK ... I have mates ... (OK OK , people I know) .... that are into that snow stuff .... when the restrictions ease I will find out if they are in the market to buy any gear and give you a PM .

Perhaps we should start a silvertails support thread .... I don't think it is my place to do so ... but maybe if @Dan thinks it is a good idea we can give it a go ...

Thoughts ??

OK ... I have mates ... (OK OK , people I know) .... that are into that snow stuff .... when the restrictions ease I will find out if they are in the market to buy any gear and give you a PM .

Perhaps we should start a silvertails support thread .... I don't think it is my place to do so ... but maybe if @Dan thinks it is a good idea we can give it a go ...

Thoughts ??
I think that's a great idea, maybe even a trade section where members can offer their products or stuff to sell from home.
Wed be buying better than Australian owned brands

Thoughts ??

It was mentioned a week or so ago and I think it's a good idea as well, and I don't think Dan would begrudge a thread about goods and services that can be offered to each other in this time. IN fact a site lurker suggested it to me as well.

Yes it will. Plus it will bring back to the field the high spending wealthier clubs in the areas of off field facilities, staff and recovery. I think an isolated competition will really hurt the likes of Broncos, Storm, Rorters with their never ending money pits to sink into the extras.
It will probably leave us in a better position than those clubs heavily supported by leagues clubs.
We have learned to operate very lean, so a loss of around one million a year is really insignificant.
I imagine the value of most NRL clubs has also taken a dive, so the Penns might hold off for quite a while before deciding to sell, I reckon we are safer than most people think.

GOATS!

The Great Orme Kashmiri goats of Llandudno, Wales, can usually be seen prancing about the hillside of the coastal town.

But with folks in their homes practicing physical distancing, the goats have taken to the streets — and the yards, gardens and rooftops.

GOATS!

The Great Orme Kashmiri goats of Llandudno, Wales, can usually be seen prancing about the hillside of the coastal town.

But with folks in their homes practicing physical distancing, the goats have taken to the streets — and the yards, gardens and rooftops.

I have four goats on my property - beautiful, gentle animals.

GOATS!

And they obviously had no thought of social distancing. Then again they may have been out exercising and that's allowed. By the way, was one of those Greenberg that I saw among the rush

1. It was mentioned a week or so ago and I think it's a good idea as well, and I don't think Dan would begrudge a thread about goods and services that can be offered to each other in this time. IN fact a site lurker suggested it to me as well.
    We could also have an ask an expert thread, where we could draw on peoples professional advice, ie the area they work in.

1 week into the lockdown over here, certainly a very strange experience. Dogs will be the fittest they have ever been with people out walking as the only thing to do

I’ve been to the supermarket twice, limited people in the store so have to queue up to get inside, and had 1 days work as we had a product that Bunnings got passed as essential

Other than that just plenty of time chasing around the 2 year old and a good dungout of the garden shed and garage with old footy DVDs on the player in there. Every time my little man walks into the garage and the TV is on he shouts Go Manly

Stood down from my job last week. Already pulled out weeds, cut back bushes, mended half the fence and got stung/bitten on ankle by something that hurt like hell and then foot blew up like a balloon. Had to go to Dr and get steroid pills to reduce swelling. Laid up for 2 days. Fuk this gardening caper.

Facts

We are not Europe
We are not USA
We are an island
Apart from NZ (one death) we are thousands of km from anywhere with ZERO borders
Our country should be easy to defend
South Asia deaths are extremely low in high population areas
Other than a cruise boat debacle cases would be even lower
Our borders are now shut and travellers in Quarantine
People dying here are all over 75 , with terminal cancer patients in that mix and flattening of the precious curve is obvious already
In Victoria where they have just banned seeing your girlfriend they have four deaths , 32 in hospital and 6 in ICU !! And they are on tv boasting about getting 30000 more beds off private hospitals ! 32 in one ****ing state and they have an extra 30000 lol Number of cases is irrelevant It’s how many need intensive care, and it ain’t many folks.

My partner works at one of the biggest hospitals in ED in this country and has just taken four days leave The hospital is fine Busy but business as usual
Continued bungling and mixed messages from the very start from those in control and the numbers are still this low after three months

Death toll 20 !!!!!
Geex imagine if we’d just tucked away the vulnerable and got on with it . And yet that announcement came two days ago !!!

Answer to the above from the geniuses:

Promised six months social isolation , maybe more. Can’t wait to see that

PLUS

360 billion in welfare payments with more to come which will take decades to pay back by our kids

20 percent unemployment projections

Massive increase in beyond blue calls and an
incredible increase in domestic violence

Small business being killed off every day

Liberties we have taken for granted being taken away with ridiculous requirements and history says they are rarely removed post crises

Sporting clubs and associations , part of the fabric of our society , bring decimated

For weeks I’ve been hearing about hundreds of thousands of deaths and the end of the world
It’s ridiculous bull****
In the three months since this started 54000 people have died in this country by various means

The sad fact is that these politicians now need people to die to justify this crucifixion
Why the hell continue to use this Six Month Plus language which basically invitites CEOs to sack even more people and destroys the public’s state of mind
Common sense says it should be lock down for four weeks and reassess but they just love the power these clowns
Parking attendants in suits

And always remember the old saying

“ Only God and doctors can hit a one iron”
In this country the one iron hitters just don’t want to admit we are different to the northern hemsisphere down here in so many ways , they love the attention re this virus and the next generation will pay for it

If Australia gets out of this relatively unscathed compared to other countries (i.e. earlier and without a large death toll) because of the massive preventative measures currently being taken, some people will still be saying "see, it wasn't that bad". It is probably exactly because we acted before the number of cases had ballooned out (based on other country's experiences) that the death toll is low here.

As mentioned earlier, China (eventually) shut down everything in entire provinces (with tens of millions of people) for months. They would not have done this without a good economic reason.

Regarding "tucking away the vulnerable"... I don't know how telling everyone over an arbitrary age to just stay home and not contact anyone else would work, while letting everyone else go and enjoy their freedoms. Not enforceable and we have no idea what would happen when they get "allowed" to leave after most of the population will have caught or will be carrying the virus. Regardless, the population who is being locked down would still have to come into contact with people who are actively out and about getting infected (to buy supplies to live, or contact family in residences or staff in nursing homes).

Last edited:
Awww... Toddy, you just brought a tear to my eye. Such a compassionate guy that wants the best for the game.

Serious concerns have been raised about the financial management of a billion-dollar broadcast deal under his watch, but NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg says he doesn't feel like a 'dead man walking'.

After four seasons in rugby league's top job, questions have been raised about Greenberg's management and the financial model that has NRL headquarters running at a yearly cost of $182 million.

And while the NRL has been forced to look at the entire expenditure and confront inefficiencies in spending in the face of the coronavirus crisis, many have asked how rugby league has been able to fall to its knees so rapidly.

Prior to the suspension of the season, Greenberg's contract was the subject of headline fodder given it expires in October, but over the past month, it has taken a back seat to the effects of the coronavirus on the competition.

However, Greenberg has come under intense criticism for not immediately taking an equivalent pay cut to NRL players, and with the financial model now reset for the next few months, attention has once again turned to his future as the game's boss.

"It doesn't feel like (I'm a dead man walking), it feels like I'm working a lot of hours," Greenberg told Fox Sports on Friday.

"I've got to say we've had great support from our chairman Peter V'landys and the entire commission.

"We feel very supported and I think I'm encouraged by the fact that there's been so much support to try to drive the game forward.

"Of course there's going to be criticism. I'm a realist, I take that criticism primarily in the title and in the role that comes with the game.

"That criticism will continue to come. I see that as part of the rugby league landscape that any senior administrator or leader in a role like mine has to take that.

"I think the primary criticism is around the game's distribution model and cost base sustainable for the future. I think that's a question that we have to answer."

It's an issue Greenberg says every sport and business in Australia is now dealing with.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'landys will ultimately have the final say on whether Greenberg will remain CEO when talks resume later in the year.

However, he continues to insist he is in no rush to secure his future.

"Peter and I have had pretty strong working relationship over the last month or so I would have to say, I don't think anyone on my phone, including my wife, is higher up on the call sheet than the chairman," Greenberg said.

"He and I have spoken regularly over the last month and worked our way through this period together.

"I've maintained throughout the whole year that my future is almost irrelevant through this. It's the game's future.

"I'm just going to put my head down, work really hard and do the best I can for this sport and ultimately these are decisions for the commission and the chairman later in the year once we get ourselves back onto an even keel."

Last edited:
Stood down from my job last week. Already pulled out weeds, cut back bushes, mended half the fence and got stung/bitten on ankle by something that hurt like hell and then foot blew up like a balloon. Had to go to Dr and get steroid pills to reduce swelling. Laid up for 2 days. Fuk this gardening caper.
Hope that your job stand down is only temporary and ankle has improved . Might have been a centipide that gave the nasty bite but guess that there is always the odd spider around that could cause some discomfort too if bitten . Personally mainly always wear Gumboots when out in the elements , even in the heat . Sure that it has saved me many an unpleasant or nasty bite over the years .

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2