Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well... I'm the only one online at the moment so I'm guessing you all are sick.

That means..... I'm in control!!!! ~throws off pants~

I'ma gunna play the random banning and mod promotion game!

you...are promoted
you...are banned!

Haha I'm tipping soft drink all over the forum woot
I'm thinking isolation might be sending some people a bit loopy already :)
This does not bode well for the next few weeks!

Dammit, it's 3.30am! Where'd you all come from!

~pants back on~

edit: in other news, the 'reactions' have started working faster once more. They were soooo slow the last few days.
Well apparently everyone is sick, or about to be, in New York and Colorado....so it's up to us Aussies to save the day again! It's crazy:

I have a hoodie with the Colorado state flag on it. I hope it's ok!
Well I'm guessing that the residents of Colorado aren't having a hard time amusing themselves under isolation. A bit like this guy ;)
1585155180747.png

Have to wonder what occurred in between Sunday and Monday to make this allegedly world-renowned expert suddenly conclude there was a risk of a player dying if they didn't stop playing immediately!!

The pandemic expert who advised the NRL to shut up shop has issued a grim warning about the coronavirus pandemic.She spoke to the Sydney Morning Herald - anonymously - and said there was a risk an NRL player could die if they didn’t suspend the competition immediately.She also believes there will be no professional sport played for the rest of this year.“It’s the calm before the storm — but that storm is coming,” she said.“What if one of your players gets sick and dies? Is it worth taking the risk of losing a player in the prime of their career?“I think we will be dealing with this epidemic for the better part of this year. I’m really hoping we will have a vaccine next year.“Then we can resume normal societal functions — like sport. But that won’t be any time this year.”

NRL 2020 season shut down; coronavirus, news, updates, live blog, Todd Greenberg, Peter V’landys, pay cuts

To all those feathered friends that are not flying as high as they should today

Never underestimate the Strength of the human Spirit
We will all get through this

the-human-spirit-is-stronger-than-anything-that-can-happen-to-it-quote-1.jpg

Living on the beautiful Redlands coast as I do , just to the east of me is Stradbroke Island ( now cut off but that’s not the story) and the main air route from Melbourne / Sydney all come in over Straddie.

Whilst we get very little noise you can always hear the aircraft powering down for their landing at Brisbane Airport which is on the other side of the bay.

I’ve been sitting on my back patio drinking coffee and reading a book for the last two hours and I haven’t heard or seen one aircraft go over.

In a few days all international flights stop ( there’s only a few now) and domestic travel will virtually come to a halt with only a couple of flights a day operating.

What a different world this truly is!!

Hate to be a doomsayer, but the scientific community has been warning about major pandemics for years. Our increasing contact with other species and our interrelationship with the rest of the World and the ease of viral contagions spreading through our rapid transport systems, made this disease almost inevitable. And this is in all likelihood only the start.

We have been damned lucky over the past few decades that more virulent novel diseases have been caught so quickly. SARS was over twice as deadly and MERS (Middle Eastern Respiratory Disease) passed on from camels and so far confined at this stage, has a mortality rate of around one in three (about the same as the Black Death 1346-53, that killed over a third of the population of Eurasia).

The seemingly draconian strategies by governments may seem like an over reaction. But governments are not going to risk their economic stability unless they consider the alternative more disastrous. In fact they are more likely to play more softly, softly in democratic nations for fear of driving the electorate to the opposition. They are at present between a rock and a hard place as they say. and remember both the US and Australia as well as NSW, have conservative parties in power and they are well known to limit government intervention as much as possible. If they are doing it, there's a big problem.

So I guess we just have to sit back, protect ourselves, and hope that when the next one comes, which could be far more lethal, that we are better prepared.

If the broadcasters stop paying then the NRL Commission will perish. We can start from scratch again with clubs being stakeholders and represented on a reconstituted board / commission. Back to grass roots community football. I’d like to see private / public ownership models like Barcelona FC.

May have contained it a bit but still a major problem there apparently .
China still has many thousands of cases but crucially, new cases have reduced to a trickle and (they say) are being brought in by people returning from overseas. They are starting to get people back to work, according to this (updated yesterday):
9:15 am: China’s resumption of work rises
The resumption of work rate for small and medium-sized enterprises throughout the country reached 71.7% as of March 24, China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology disclosed Wednesday. The ministry also noted the figure marked an increase of 42.1 percentage points from a month ago. — Evelyn Cheng

Australia is taking a different approach to that taken by China, see this for comparisons

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4