Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
mrs ge, being bored keeps sending me tiktok videos (which some are funny and pretty cool)

But one was tagged (not by her) Oh my gosh...watch to the end!!!!!!

I'm thinking, the vid's are 10 freaking seconds long!!! How friggen short must your attention span be to feel the need to tell people to watch to the end?!?!?!?!?!?!

Now get the hell off my lawn you Gen Z's!

sheesh, just to show it can always be worse, the next EIGHT second video not only went #waittillcheifturnsaround but also felt the need to overlay that fact on the video

Get some national friggen service into your fomo butts, then we'll see how your attn span improves when looking at the business end of an AK-47... liek totes for realzzzzzzz
I guess you can get lots Bundy rum there in Canuck land buddy. Good for you!

Would you prefer the Americans handled our response?
Haha god no. That country is in a huge snowballing crisis and hard to see any good ending there.
Singapore on the other hand... lessons learned from SARS, swift action, seem to be doing best. Even Ardern in NZ.
Interesting link posted above by Mf76 (no not that one! the one by Laurie Garrett) which among other things slams the reliance on 'closing borders' that a number of countries seem to have pinned their hopes on

A friend of mine lives on vancouver Island and there's a couple who came back from overseas and just went...nope, we're not gunna self isolate, you can all go jump.

wtf. Throw them in gaol or at least publish their names!

F-heads

A friend of mine lives on vancouver Island and there's a couple who came back from overseas and just went...nope, we're not gunna self isolate, you can all go jump.

F-heads
Bloody Meghan and Harry ....... think they're bloody royalty or something?

F-heads
In NSW - and probably this whole country - there is very little clarity about what we can and can't or should and shouldn't do, because it has been changing in piecemeal fashion bit by bit and the focus on public awareness has been inadequate.

For example, in NSW now you can be jailed for up to 6 months and/or fined up to $11,000 if you leave your home without a reasonable excuse.
(higher penalties for companies breaching direction).
A friend of mine is going out exercising today and was going to 'pop by to say hi' and it took us a while to work out if that would be illegal - and we're both lawyers!

In NSW - and probably this whole country - there is very little clarity about what we can and can't or should and shouldn't do, because it has been changing in piecemeal fashion bit by bit and the focus on public awareness has been inadequate.

For example, in NSW now you can be jailed for up to 6 months and/or fined up to $11,000 if you leave your home without a reasonable excuse.
(higher penalties for companies breaching direction).
A friend of mine is going out exercising today and was going to 'pop by to say hi' and it took us a while to work out if that would be illegal - and we're both lawyers!

I was watching "The daily show with Trevor Noah" about a week or so ago and he said the President of Brazil is doing the whole "Covid-19 is a myth, no restrictions, everyone go about your business"

BUT then the gangs came out and said "anyone seen outside will be dealt with by us" - then Noah showed pics of very, very empty streets!

effective!

edit: Brazil is not covid-19 free...

Last edited:
Mass testing, isolating all positives and rigorous tracing
Why Singapore's coronavirus response worked – and what we can all learn
Even Singapore is struggling a little to contain the virus, just not to the extent of other countries obviously.

In the last week or so the government has introduced stricter controls, including closing schools until the end of April. The number of community transmissions has not decreased and this is a concern because tracing efforts are proving more and more difficult.

To me, it’s not surprising that a country with relatively recent and direct pandemic experience is fairing comparatively better. Experience matters - from government response to the population understanding the risk - general public hygiene and compliance with guidelines and recommendations is very, very high here. Throw in the mix how the government can be quite strict, it is no wonder it is doing much better that more liberal societies without direct pandemic experience.

@SeaEagleRock8 ... What sort of communication do you recommend to a population that needs to be told "to wait for it" when sent a 9 second video .. or ... stop buying Coronas because of the virus ..

State and Federal agencies are doing daily public awareness broadcasts .... but people prefer to get their information from facebook Sally .... and then argue about it ...

@SeaEagleRock8 ... What sort of communication do you recommend to a population that needs to be told "to wait for it" when sent a 9 second video .. or ... stop buying Coronas because of the virus ..

State and Federal agencies are doing daily public awareness broadcasts .... but people prefer to get their information from facebook Sally .... and then argue about it ...
Hehe. Seen plenty of the hand washing messages, nothing about getting put in jail but probably just missed it

In the Sunday paper: Canterbury leagues club $4.5m loss LAST year. Will only get worse this year due to it being closed.

Pokie rivers of money drying up?

Hi everyone,
Long time reader, like everyone else going a bit stir crazy, so thought I'd join in the fun here.
One of the great things about living in a free, democratic nation is that everyone is more or less free to express their opinions.
Personally, I think the leaders of western nations are doing a pretty good job under the circumstances. Not saying mistakes aren't being made, but it's very easy to take pot shots from the sidelines with perfect 20/20 hindsight.
One of the values we all hold dear in western countries is personal freedom, so it is a much bigger deal to introduce draconian, lockdown police-state measures than it is in nation's where such personal freedoms are, shall we say, less valued. A perfect example being the closure of the US borders to China in the early stages of the pandemic, and the cries of "racism" this elicited. Those same critics now seem to be calling for even more draconian measures, with the benefit of that perfect 20/20 hindsight.
Perhaps we were all a bit guilty in the early days of accepting the rhetoric/propaganda eg "no evidence of human to human transmission", "no/mild symptoms for most people", "only the elderly or those with underlying health issues at risk", "its all under control" etc etc. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, perhaps we should have taken those claims with a large grain of salt.
Anyway, just my thoughts. Cheers to everyone and stay safe.
Welcome, that's a pretty impressive 1st post!

Don't fully agree though - when things are changing fast and people are dying, so much rides on every decision - isn't that precisely the time our leaders must be held to strictest account?
An excellent article by Pulitzer prize winner Laurie Garrett posted yesterday by @manlyfan76 (at #1098 above) its pretty long but packed with relevant info, and she is scathing about the initial response of both the China and US leaders

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6