Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Everyone will (or at least, should!) make their own choices as to which sources are credible and which ones make sense.
Here’s a short snippet of a pretty wealthy bloke speaking yesterday (he had a lot more to say and I thought he seemed very well-informed and credible in his comments)

He makes some good points, but I think I would rather listen to the advice of pandemic, economic and social experts. As such a wealthy individual he seems to live in his own little world and often jumps on the first idea that fits his worldview. He has definitely made mistakes in both his charity endeavors and in business. But, to his credit, he is quick to admit when he got things wrong and then make corrections.
That said, and as a tech professional, I don't think a "move fast and break things" attitude is the right one to have for problems like this.

Everyone will (or at least, should!) make their own choices as to which sources are credible and which ones make sense.

Exactly ... and I would put China and anything said on the subject of China from the WHO at the bottom of my anything credable list ....

.. as opposed to countries with a free press .. and in Trump's case ... a free left wing hostile press looking for any nonsense to discredit him with ... at least in the USA and free countries the many agencies providing facts and fiqures can at least be given a degree of credability ....

bottom line is we won't know all the facts until ages after the event when the revisionists write the history ....

Is it my imagination or did I read somewhere that the director general of the WHO is an Ethiopian ... that just happen to be amongst the leading recipients of Aid from China .. ???

Exactly ... and I would put China and anything said on the subject of China from the WHO at the bottom of my anything credable list ....

.. as opposed to countries with a free press .. and in Trump's case ... a free left wing hostile press looking for any nonsense to discredit him with ... at least in the USA and free countries the many agencies providing facts and fiqures can at least be given a degree of credability ....

bottom line is we won't know all the facts until ages after the event when the revisionists write the history ....

Is it my imagination or did I read somewhere that the director general of the WHO is an Ethiopian ... that just happen to be amongst the leading recipients of Aid from China .. ???
I don't think we will ever know the outcomes of all the alternative pathways for this. Just as we don't really know the actual risks and outcomes or the best solution right now. We may be able to look at the response of different countries but then throw in climates, population ages and different social cultures and it will be very difficult (or impossible) to interpret.

I woke up with this quote in my head this morning, I think it could be quite relevant in the coming months.
Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods…illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is. But they’ll never know this. Not until it’s too late.”

I don't think we will ever know the outcomes of all the alternative pathways for this. Just as we don't really know the actual risks and outcomes or the best solution right now. We may be able to look at the response of different countries but then throw in climates, population ages and different social cultures and it will be very difficult (or impossible) to interpret.

I woke up with this quote in my head this morning, I think it could be quite relevant in the coming months.
Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods…illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is. But they’ll never know this. Not until it’s too late.”

To me the issue has always been .. when to pull the trigger ... and how big a gun to use ....

If we go off too early at every hint of trouble we risk a lot of senseless self harm, and unneccesary pain and death ... and the spectre of the boy crying wolf ....

If we go off too late we risk a lot of unneccesary pain and death ....

Glad I am not making the decisions ...

To me the issue has always been .. when to pull the trigger ... and how big a gun to use ....

If we go off too early at every hint of trouble we risk a lot of senseless self harm, and unneccesary pain and death ... and the spectre of the boy crying wolf ....

If we go off too late we risk a lot of unneccesary pain and death ....

Glad I am not making the decisions ...
Just don't F up royally (in deaths or economy) and have good PR. Sadly, I'm not convinced our government hasn't avoided the first point. They have definitely missed the second one though!

Here’s a short snippet of a pretty wealthy bloke speaking yesterday (he had a lot more to say and I thought he seemed very well-informed and credible in his comments)

That to me is a rational argument and is in keeping with what China says it has been doing.

I dont know if China is being completely honest. I dont know if ScoMo is being completely honest. Probably not, but they would have to be reasonably close to what's happening because it would be most embarrassing when it came out, even for China which is trying so hard to put on a face of contrition, given they bungled it at the beginning.

But it shouldnt take rocket science to work out that the best way of defeating a virus is as with all things, is to starve it. It survives by feeding and then being transferred to other people but once it has run its course, like with the majority of such illnesses, it dies. Isolation of infected people has always been the only effective way of starving a virus. Given its broken out and we dont know who is infected, the second most obvious solution is to reduce the potential of transferring to other people and that means significantly limiting interpersonal contact.

There are no other viable solutions unless you're prepared to just allow the virus free rein. And in that scenario, given the mortality rate being seen (and reducing it given most people dont admit they have the illness if its mild bringing it back down to 1%), the death rate potential world wide would be something like 70-100 million, and in Australia 250 to 300 thousand minimum. And remember the medical services would collapse so treatment would be nonexistent until a counteractive vaccine is easily available world wide.

Can you fit a NRL footy field onto the deck of a cruise ship or oil tanker?

Confirm all the NRL players, officials and tv gang are free of the virus and then rent a ship? Take it outside the Australian law zone and beam all the games back to Aust & NZ?

Haha I just posted about remaining sceptical of news reports in general. But I'm not sure if you are suggesting China is exaggerating the seriousness, or trying to downplay it?
My Question is this feathered friend
Can you trust a Communist Dictatorship ?

He makes some good points, but I think I would rather listen to the advice of pandemic, economic and social experts
Not suggesting Gates as the world's foremost authority, but in fairness he has been trying to advocate for pandemic preparedness for many years. Eg this talk from 2015 (about 8 minutes)

In a phone hook-up among chief executives and club chairs, ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has announced the emergency funding aimed at guaranteeing the competition’s survival.

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-large, The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only

|

March 30, 2020 1:57pm

Close

The NRL has agreed to hand out $40 million in emergency funding to its 16 clubs to survive the coronavirus crisis.

In a phone hook-up among chief executives and club chairs, ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys announced each club would receive a payment of $2.5 million.

This funding is separate to player payments and will help most clubs survive until the resumption of the competition.

Players will be paid separately 50 per cent of their contracted wage over the next seven months until October.

The one-off $2.5 million payment replaces the monthly $1.1 million grant to the clubs, usually funded by broadcast rights.

“It was as good an outcome as we could have hoped for,” said one NRL club chief executive.

“It’s going to be extremely tight until we get a resumption in play, but the clubs were happy with the deal.”

Clubs across the competition have already been forced to stand down staff, many without pay, to try and survive the impact of the competition shutdown, which happened after just two rounds of the 2020 season.

V’landys told the clubs the current cost structure in the NRL was unsustainable and pointed to significant cost-cutting, starting at the NRL.

The $2.5 million grants will be increased later in the year if the television networks - Fox Sports and Channel 9 - resume their payment schedules.

V’landys remains hopeful of a July 1 resumption, even if it means airlifting every footballer to Gladstone to play out the season.

Thanks @The Wheel . That was the NRL Recovery version

Now for the Manly Sea eagles recovery plan
where every passionate Manly fan can make a difference

PASSION ALWAYS PREVAILS
download.jpg

This sounds promising. Can you elaborate?
A.I.D.S for example is contagious, if untreated, for as long as the host lives.
Covid not so much. Its pretty straight forward for someone on your intelect mate.

From science daily:
Reich is co-author of a new study in the Annals of Internal Medicine that calculates that the median incubation period for COVID-19 is just over five days and that 97.5 percent of people who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of infection. The incubation period refers to the time between exposure to the virus and the appearance of the first symptoms.

The study's lead author is UMass Amherst biostatistics doctoral alumnus Stephen Lauer, a former member of the Reich Lab and current postdoctoral researcher at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

The researchers examined 181 confirmed cases with identifiable exposure and symptom onset windows to estimate the incubation period of COVID-19. They conclude that "the current period of active monitoring recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [14 days] is well supported by the evidence."

First casualty of war is the truth. And every leader has been describing the corona attacks as a war.
So I totally agree we should all be absorbing information with a critical eye.
In particular when quoting articles by known propaganda agencies such as the US govt funded Radio Free Asia. And in particular at at time when the US is facing a monumental calamity and the US govt (or key figures in it) are desperate to deflect blame.

Keep an open mind about everything we hear, is my best suggestion. Info direct from the health professionals is probably the most reliable source, because compared with politicians they don't have such a vested interest in 'colouring' the facts.

Notice how trump is no longer calling it the Wuhan virus?
I did read in a chinese paper that Jinping threatened to stop ALL exports of medicine to china if trump kept going.

First casualty of war is the truth. And every leader has been describing the corona attacks as a war.
So I totally agree we should all be absorbing information with a critical eye.
In particular when quoting articles by known propaganda agencies such as the US govt funded Radio Free Asia. And in particular at at time when the US is facing a monumental calamity and the US govt (or key figures in it) are desperate to deflect blame.

Keep an open mind about everything we hear, is my best suggestion. Info direct from the health professionals is probably the most reliable source, because compared with politicians they don't have such a vested interest in 'colouring' the facts.
Thanks for your advice, i like to think i am ok at looking behind what people are saying.

When i post something like the china article it is indeed to provide a different voice to the mainstream.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4