Controversy Corner - Jamie Lyon??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
In an attempt to liven up the off-season and to get over being walloped in the GF I am going to ask some of the hard questions - in a sort of Controversy Corner. Mata and co have already been running the question on whether we will miss Monaghan.

As one never to back away from an argument - my first series of questions is going to be:

Was Jamie worth the money? Did he live up to expectations? Is he over-rated? Are we a better team because of him? Did he contribute enough? Is 5/8 his best position and if not - who should play there next season.

Over to you!! Don't hold back and fire up!!!! (It's a long time till March)

Yes
No
Yes (as a 5/8)
Yes
marginal
No, who cares, just not him, we are a 100% better team with him in the centres.

No I don't think his 2007 season added up to the pay cheque he's reported to be earning.

However I do think we are a better side with him in the line-up. He's not a 5/8th, his best work this season came when playing in the centers. As for next year, well, we've shot ourselves in the foot. He will be the 5/8th because there is nobody else we've seen who is ready to step up and help repeat 07's success.

As for contribution, yes and no. He contributed while and center and impeded while at 5/8th.

One thing I really hope is that he is one of those blokes who likes a little more time with the ball to be creative. He went ok in the superleague and they don't have such a fast defense line like the NRL. My prayers are that Matt Ballins superb dummy half service will give Jamie that little extra time to be as good and we know he can be.

For me, i see a lot of similarities between Kite and Lyon

Both came on decent money with big reputations as well. At the end of Kites 1st season, much the same as is being said about Lyon, wass being said about him, dud signing, waste of money, out of position etc.

In his 2nd year, Kite really stood up, and is now a crucial man in our side, and nobody questions his role in the front row. I see no reason why Lyon can't do exactly the same

I have seen enough nice touches from him at 5/8 to suggest he can make a go of it. The problem is that people expect him to be a superstar in that position overnight, but it will take him time to develop into the role and find his correct style, but he will get there imo and really be a huge asset to the side.

For me, Matai, Bell in centres and Lyon at 5/8 is fine. I like the contrast in our centres with that combination, 1 through the line centre and 1 around the line centre,

Lyon was easily the most disappointing player this year.

I was honestly expecting him to be huge, but you could count the good things he did on one hand unfortunately.

Without a doubt the most worrying thing about his role as 5/8 is that he has zero kicking game. Beaver has a better kicking game for f*cks sake.

He’s a talented player so hopefully he can lift next year but in my opinion he was a pretty giant failure in 2007.

I think the question should be is why our stupid dud coach plays a world class centre at 5/8 when he's clealy failed at this position all year. Clearly a waste of money playing in that position, but not at centre where his attacking and defensive talents are there for all good judges to see. Bell and Lyon centres, Beaver or Le'Strange or Ballin could have a go at 5/8th. Gone are the days of an attacking 5/8. The play these days is to distribute and defend around the ruck. Maybe kicking would be something good, but it seems not absolutely necessary, anyway Lyon can't kick in general play that's obvious. I think the problem is in team selection with regard to Lyon, not whether he's paid to much or if he's a 5/8th.

I think the question should be is why our stupid dud coach plays a world class centre at 5/8 when he's clealy failed at this position all year. Clearly a waste of money playing in that position, but not at centre where his attacking and defensive talents are there for all good judges to see. Bell and Lyon centres, Beaver or Le'Strange or Ballin could have a go at 5/8th. Gone are the days of an attacking 5/8. The play these days is to distribute and defend around the ruck. Maybe kicking would be something good, but it seems not absolutely necessary, anyway Lyon can't kick in general play that's obvious. I think the problem is in team selection with regard to Lyon, not whether he's paid to much or if he's a 5/8th.

Agree 100%

Dud Coach?

After reading some of the garbage some of you blokes put up on this site, I'd love to see you have a chop at a coaching role. You'd struggle with an U7 side.

It may take a year for him to settle in at 5/8, but thats a hell of an expensive learning curve at 450k per season., when he seemed to be doing fine in the early months at centre.
I would rather lose Matia or Bell and spend the money on a gun young 5/8.

He hasn't shown his worth yet, but I'm willing to wait.
He didn't live up to expectations.
I don't think many people rate him anymore after his season so can't say he is over rated anymore.
Manly is better with Lyon at centre.
His contributions were few a far between, not enough
Go with the majority and say he is a centre. Play a young bloke at 5/8 or chuck Beaver in there, I don't know at the moment.

I want to see Lyon playing centre, I don't mind who he displaces out of Bell or Matai. Bell has contributed little since origin last year but he is still solid, Matai is an idiot but he seems to be the only one with some testicular fortitude. Thinking to the future, Matai is here for 2-3 more seasons, Bell is up for renewal next year. It's a moot point though, we all know which way Des will go.

We should be playing him like Melbourne are playing Inglis at five-eighth. Instead of being a play maker, have him almost as an extra fullback, popping up all over the place and creating overlaps. He's also got a decent bomb on him (again, like Inglis) so we should use him for that, as Orford's isn't usually high enough.

For 2009 though, don't renew Bell's contract (unless he has a great year, of course) shift Lyon to right centre and buy a gun five-eighth (maybe one of the young blokes at Newie when they have another mass walk-out).

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8