Come in spinner.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Thurston misses 1 game. Cowboys Lose. Paul Green is a great Coach

Matai misses 11 games
Buhrer misses 9 games
DCE misses 5 games
Lyon misses 4 games
B Stuart misses 8 games
Myles misses 5 games
Tapau misses 4 games
Jorge misses 5 games
Tom-T misses 2 games. Manly Lose. Trent Barrett can't coach!!!!!!!

I really like Trent Barrett (some of his team selections confuse me). But I think (despite the results), we are a better team for him being coach.

1. People claimed he wasn't passionate, and robotic. Well flung phones, red faces, punching tables - everything we have witnessed shows me he is ultra passionate, competitive, and has Manly at heart.

2. The last 5-6 weeks (since we have had some stability) - even though Parcell, Stewart, Matai, Symonds, Mateo, Burgess, John, Myles, Walker & others have been unavailable - we have played with a game plan, that seems to change determined by the team we are facing (and that's something we haven't had in quite some time).

3. Through the really bad period, clubs can be torn apart, and you hear about unrest. The only unrest I heard, was from players who were devastated at not being selected by their coach - because they wanted to be in the team and adding value.

4. We are grossly under the salary cap here if you look at players available. Warriors were in form when we played them. Rabbits were desperate, and our game was the one that determined if they sank or swam this season, Knights & Dragons probably should have been wins.

5. He consistently states there is improvement in us, and I believe him. When we are on fire, we look devastating to the point I don't think anyone can beat us.

6. Players are improving dramatically under him, like they used to under Des. Lussick is a machine. Buhrer seems to be playing bigger or stronger? Green has been such a smokey. Wiliame has gone to another level. Etc, etc, etc.

Mate, not only do I think he can coach, I think he can be one of the better leaders and developers. I'm loving what I see from him.

We certainly crucified him on here earlier in the year, but I consistently said " when we get some troops back AND can pick the same side for a few games in a row then lets judge his coaching then".

The proof is in the pudding as far as that is concerned.

Now do I think he's a world beater, maybe not, but he's on the way to being a fairly good coach.

And well said @Ryan

Players like Cam Smith, Cronk and Thurston are barely injured, in how long, at their age with the amount of battering they cop. Our best signing this season would be to throw huge money at one of their conditioning coaches.

He has stayed composed during the tough times, and publicly supportive of all his players. Loyalty breeds loyalty, so it'll be interesting how this pans out long term.

Players like Cam Smith, Cronk and Thurston are barely injured, in how long, at their age with the amount of battering they cop. Our best signing this season would be to throw huge money at one of their conditioning coaches.
Dank?

The heavy criticism is what helped forge the Team and the new Coach. :nod:

Their 7 straight losses, deservedly earned them the ire of the Peninsula.:swear:

However, as Baz has acknowledged, they have come out of it together and real leaders have emerged. :clap: #StrongerTogether

All bodes well for the future :)

Barrett's whole demeanour has changed since that string of losses put his job under pressure.

I think he fell into the trap that many young coaches fall into of wanting to be Mr Nice Guy.

I think when he started to realise his job and his reputation were on the line he fired up, and the results since then speak for themselves.

Thurston misses 1 game. Cowboys Lose. Paul Green is a great Coach

Matai misses 11 games
Buhrer misses 9 games
DCE misses 5 games
Lyon misses 4 games
B Stuart misses 8 games
Myles misses 5 games
Tapau misses 4 games
Jorge misses 5 games
Tom-T misses 2 games. Manly Lose. Trent Barrett can't coach!!!!!!!
Yep agree.. Baz is sheite.. As he said we will finish where we deserve.

Lets make a balanced assessment.

Arguements For:
He stuck strong with Williame who has improved and now looks at home in NRL. Green improved back in reserves. Lussick improved his discipline and is being a real leader. Baz may have told Snake to have an operation and without Snakes failings has improved the team.

Look objectively those things suggest Baz may be a reasonable man manager, he has made some tough calls and kept people seemingly happy. But improvement by in large has been at an individual level. A coach could have contributed, but not every player has improved in our squad.

API is throwing some shocking passes worse then at South's. Walker just didn't improve at 6. If Baz gets credit when an individual improves in an area, does he get the flack if an individual goes backward in an area? No but why? It's unfair you say! Let's just agree that individual improvement may not be the best indicator that a new coach is the world's best coach ever.

Arguments Against:
The team has looked terribly unfit. The team still lacks composure, even against the knights fifth tackle options, were ordinary. we don't look like we are even attempting to build pressure, or re peat sets. We continue to go for a big play and hope for the best!

Still a lot of one out hit ups with not much by way of support play in attack. One per centers are still very ordinary. Discipline as a team I can't say we look any better.

Mental toughness to play for 80 against the knights. We took the easy option. Just like Freddie said in Brisbane our players cut corners just running between two lines. lazy lazy lazy.

I don't know. Im Not saying Baz isn't doing a reasonable job. But I I'd be paying more attention to a significant improvement to in team performance or improved team cultural indicators then some individual gains.

So Look it seems fair to say he must be a reasonable man manager.

But as disciplinarian or tactical genius who can take a team and transform it into the best team in the comp. If your seeing some evidence of that. Please tell us what it is.

He is 3/4 of the way through year one with a huge turn-over in players and staff. He has never coached NRL before, was hit with a massive injury toll to key players (worse than last year - even though last year was bad), and had a tough draw with five 5 day turn-arounds in quick succession.

Given all of the above, not to mention off field dramas such as allegations of match fixing, Snake way off his game, sponsorship dramas etc - I think that he has handled himself well. He has made some errors for sure, which coach hasn't - especially rookie coaches; however, I see some really good signs in terms of guiding the team through all of that and being able to start to come out the other side (that shows ability and toughness).

Personally, I see more positives than negatives and honestly believe that we are building into a powerhouse again - most teams take 5yrs or so to be able to get back from a fall (if that), where I see us being a top side next year if we can acquire a decent 5/8th and maybe one more back should Matai, Lyon and Snake all move on. I see us building the best forward pack in the comp within 2 yrs.

I haven't seen any tactical master strokes or coaching revelations from him. I don't think he has done as well as I would have expected given the squad we have. Sure we've had some injuries but for the bulk of the year we have not delivered satisfactory efforts. We are starting to play a better brand of football this last month, but opposition quality has been below average. If we put in competitive efforts against the top 4 sides to round out the season then I will reassess.

At the moment I can only give Baz a C+ in his first year.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8