Coalition pledges $10 mil for Brookvale oval

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

WAMF

Bencher
If you're struggling to appreciate the differences between Labor and the Coalition, there are good reasons.

For the second time in a week, Tony Abbott has reannounced Labor's policy for the funding of a Sydney sports facility.

Visiting his home electorate of Warringah for the first time this election, the Opposition Leader announced on Sunday that a Coalition government would give $10 million to the upgrade of Brookvale Oval, home to the Manly Sea Eagles rugby league team.

The upgrade to Brookvale will allow for the construction of covered seating for more than 4000 fans, along with improved community facilities.
Advertisement

After being presented with a team jersey, Mr Abbott dismissed suggestions he was reannouncing Labor's identical funding for Brookvale, pledged 12 days ago.

It was Labor, he said, that was playing "catch up politics", because the Coalition had gone to the last two elections promising to fund the upgrade of Brookvale.

Had Labor been truly "serious" about Brookvale, it would not have waited until now to upgrade the "tired" looking stadium, he said.

"Only the Coalition can be trusted to deliver the Brookvale Oval upgrade and better sporting facilities for the northern beaches," Mr Abbott claimed in his press release.

Given Mr Abbott only allowed one question at his Brookvale Oval press conference, journalists did not get the opportunity to remind the Opposition Leader of another curiously familiar announcement he made this week.

On Tuesday, the same day Mr Abbott admired the "sex appeal" of Fiona Scott, the Liberal candidate for Lindsay in western Sydney, he also announced $12 million to fund the building of the Panthers sport and community centre.

If the Opposition Leader's Penrith announcement was not already sullied by his "sex appeal" remarks, it did not help when staff at Labor's campaign headquarters reminded journalists that, in June, Labor had announced the very same $12 million for the very same Penrith sports centre.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/coalition-pledges-10-million-to-brookvale-oval-upgrade-20130818-2s4qm.html#ixzz2cIj8DhXV

WAMF said:
If you're struggling to appreciate the differences between Labor and the Coalition, there are good reasons.

For the second time in a week, Tony Abbott has reannounced Labor's policy for the funding of a Sydney sports facility.

Visiting his home electorate of Warringah for the first time this election, the Opposition Leader announced on Sunday that a Coalition government would give $10 million to the upgrade of Brookvale Oval, home to the Manly Sea Eagles rugby league team.
The upgrade to Brookvale will allow for the construction of covered seating for more than 4000 fans, along with improved community facilities.
Advertisement

After being presented with a team jersey, Mr Abbott dismissed suggestions he was reannouncing Labor's identical funding for Brookvale, pledged 12 days ago.

It was Labor, he said, that was playing "catch up politics", because the Coalition had gone to the last two elections promising to fund the upgrade of Brookvale.

Had Labor been truly "serious" about Brookvale, it would not have waited until now to upgrade the "tired" looking stadium, he said.

"Only the Coalition can be trusted to deliver the Brookvale Oval upgrade and better sporting facilities for the northern beaches," Mr Abbott claimed in his press release.

Given Mr Abbott only allowed one question at his Brookvale Oval press conference, journalists did not get the opportunity to remind the Opposition Leader of another curiously familiar announcement he made this week.

On Tuesday, the same day Mr Abbott admired the "sex appeal" of Fiona Scott, the Liberal candidate for Lindsay in western Sydney, he also announced $12 million to fund the building of the Panthers sport and community centre.

If the Opposition Leader's Penrith announcement was not already sullied by his "sex appeal" remarks, it did not help when staff at Labor's campaign headquarters reminded journalists that, in June, Labor had announced the very same $12 million for the very same Penrith sports centre.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/coalition-pledges-10-million-to-brookvale-oval-upgrade-20130818-2s4qm.html#ixzz2cIj8DhXV

I, for one, am not a Liberal voter. Never have been, never will be. Being a student, I want to be able to pay for my college course fees and to stay healthy. But that's going to be difficult to do if the Coalition wins government and jobs are lost. :(

At least now we are guaranteed the $10 million. The details of who is going to provide the other $20 million are less clear. Manly fans can vote for the party of their choice, knowing at least that the promise is made.

One question though - has anyone ever seen Tony Abbott at a Manly game? (or a League game at all?)

A pledge of only $10 million from the local member is very very disappointing.
There has not been one brass razoo of federal funding spent on Brookie ever, surely we are owed more than that?.

Someone remind me under which government the stadium became tired in the first place?

They are as bad as each other

Canteen Worker said:
At least now we are guaranteed the $10 million. The details of who is going to provide the other $20 million are less clear. Manly fans can vote for the party of their choice, knowing at least that the promise is made.

One question though - has anyone ever seen Tony Abbott at a Manly game? (or a League game at all?)

You can be assured as PM he'll be there on Grand Final day presenting us with the trophy and taking credit for it all. Makes me cringe to see them up on stage on GF day taking the limelight.

I thought that the labor party $10m was guaranteed no matter who wins the election.

Therefore Abbott has to come out an offer another $10m and not just the same $10m that is already on the table as he is offering us nothing.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
stewartbrett(female supporter) said:
I, for one, am not a Liberal voter. Never have been, never will be. Being a student, I want to be able to pay for my college course fees and to stay healthy. But that's going to be difficult to do if the Coalition wins government and jobs are lost. :(

Hmmm... I'm not sure Rudd will do any better on jobs. Last time he won an election he couldn't even keep his own job.

$10 million isn't going to pay for 4000 under cover seats no way. The SCG got $186 million for 2500 extra seats.

Here's an idea. Do you think we could double it by investing with Tom Waterhouse? He knows what NRL fans want.

How can this hypocrite who offered nothing when he was in government for ages prior to 2007 during the boom years even think about bagging labour for doing nothing for the 6 years post GFC.

Surely you are not doubting his credentials as a hypocrite? They are impeccable.

And the worst part of all this is that it is Labor's political bankruptcy which has paved the way for the Liberals to be on the verge of government, when really they should have been driven to irrelevant extinction decades ago. Rudd's boat person policy is just about the most unprincipled and opportunist move I have seen from Labor, maybe ever.

MWSE said:
I thought Abbott had pledged $20m. Guess he has begun slashing and burning already.

And you have the gal to flame me over perceived political bias.
Hypocrite much?

COMMANDER said:
We can use $10,000 of that to pay Toov's fine.

With that sort of cash, we can get Tooves to unload every day of the week, over the course of a full season and still have change.

hangon,we get 10 mil,penrith get 12 mil,it wasnt that long ago they got a handout from the government to do major upgrades there,their ground is pretty bloody good now,how does all that work,it must be the gus factor,yea has to be

master blaster said:
hangon,we get 10 mil,penrith get 12 mil,it wasnt that long ago they got a handout from the government to do major upgrades there,their ground is pretty bloody good now,how does all that work,it must be the gus factor,yea has to be

I dare say the political environment out there isn't so one sided as it is on the beaches, therefore more incentive for the government to spend up to win votes.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4