Club is Broke?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Lil_wayne

Reserve Grader
Manly is the latest club to be given an advance on their monthly NRL grant. Last month we revealed the Sea Eagles were bracing themselves for a $1.5 million loss this season, and now it appears there are cash flow issues to contend with. The NRL recently agreed to forward Manly around $600,000 – a gesture that’s been made several times in the past to clubs that are struggling for liquidity.

Manly's cash flow woes come down to the team’s unexpectedly poor performance this year, which have left sponsorship and membership projections in tatters. There’s also been a huge turn-over of front office staff since the change of ownership late last year, with around a dozen employees replaced. Some have been marched ahead of their time, resulting in payouts that have inflicted further damage on the budget. And just this week two more staff – recruitment duo Dave Worwick and Simon Healey – were told their services aren’t required next year.

There’s now speculation over the future of CEO Joe Kelly, who arrived last November with an impressive reputation from previous roles in finance with Chelsea FC and South Sydney. Sea Eagles insiders say Kelly has been taken aback by the magnitude of the task at Brookvale, which is riddled with politics and power plays. We’ve been told he’s applied to have next week off – a curious move at such a crucial stage of the season, with the club running last and chairman Scott Penn out of town.We put several questions to Kelly this week, including whether or not the leave was stress-related. He did not respond. One thing we can assure Manly fans is this: reports Grant Mayer is set to be appointed Kelly’s replacement are wide of the mark.
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/...with-josh-massoud-and-jim-wilson/?cmp=twitter

Good think Warwick has been sacked clearing out the dead wood only hope Penn has the money to see it through. If I was Barrett I would say thanks but no thanks if you are having to borrow money from the nrl how secure are you? I hope DCE has a rock solid contract. lol at Joe on stress leave bit tougher than Chelsea Joe.

So other clubs get an advance n that's ok but if we get one, amidst a new boss is in a sacking phase we are broke? I wouldn't expect the club to run at a profit this year like most nrl clubs every year, but I'll wait until the dust settles before I believe the sky is falling in thanks.

I'd hope Joe isn't quitting because he's kicked a few goals this year. Maybe he should tell Tooves how important goal kicking is...

BTW - what does a club going broke even mean these days? According to the Titans it means you now have access to more money than anyone else so it wouldn't be the worst thing... We are probably down a significant portion from gate receipts this year because of crap performance and crap weather. But crowd numbers are down across the board so we're just like anyone else there. More Massoud hate...

Interesting discussions to come out of this article.
Kelly or Mayer? this will keep the rumours going
Poor crowds, whose fault, weather,ground, nrl scheduling, teams performances
Club going broke, apart from just a few clubs, who isn't. The list would be alarming when you consider grants to clubs from their own Leagues Club. Canterbury Football usually get $4m a year from Canterbury Leagues. That's a big head start over Manly, Souths, GC and at most times Cronulla.
Warwick gone really thought he was doing a good job. I wonder if this means Cleal is on his way back. Not everyone is happy with the Hasler team at the Dogs, and I guess it may be from both sides of the fence. Dog fans are always questioning what Cleal is doing there.
and we still got the Toovey v Barrett saga.
Plenty more Manly stories in the media coming up, hope we win a few games.

Get to major ground and guaranteed payments is our first step. Brookvale is a graveyard for losing money as we are now seeing.

So other clubs get an advance n that's ok but if we get one, amidst a new boss is in a sacking phase we are broke? I wouldn't expect the club to run at a profit this year like most nrl clubs every year, but I'll wait until the dust settles before I believe the sky is falling in thanks.

So you now want to compare us to the **** clubs? I like to think we are a better club and more professionally run yet 1 bad year and we have our hand out. It may fill you with confidence but not me. To many bad season and the hand out will have strings attached like how about you move to the central coast.

Why use your own money when the NRL coffers are full ? Another media beat up on Manly @:cool:

Has David Warwick been replaced by Bozo or one of his dumb kids ? :cool:

I would hope he is being replaced by someone who can spot talent. Wow calling someones kids dumb classy as always.

Get to major ground and guaranteed payments is our first step. Brookvale is a graveyard for losing money as we are now seeing.
I think the only grounds that are guaranteeing payments are ANZ Stadium and Central Coast, I don't think Allianz [ would be our preferred, if we had to leave Brookie] guarantee anything.

I would like to start my own rumour which is that Tooves, clearly needs to be replaced by a more technically minded coach will be replaced by Technical Coach...

I think the only grounds that are guaranteeing payments are ANZ Stadium and Central Coast, I don't think Allianz [ would be our preferred, if we had to leave Brookie] guarantee anything.
Yep the SCG trust doesn't need to with the Chooks, Sydney FC and Waratahs as their tenants. Plus the odd game taken there by the Dragons & Tigers.

As much as I still hold reservations about the Penn ownership I find it hard to believe they would just waltz in and take over the club without a game plan. As others have said, I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't just more media speculation designed for a cheap story and another opportunity to destabilise the club.

Really disappointed to hear that Dave Warwick has been moved on. IMO a great talent scout. I don't credit Cleal with much other identifying Jamie Lyon when he worked for the eels. The rest of the time I would suggest he rode Warwicks coat tail.

A new owner means new associations and new ideas. I guess all things evolve and change. But we have lost one of the best in Warwick. Bozo is close to rep teams, and like Bennett an injection of cash seems to follow his every move, when he does inject himself back into this club.

It is a bit different chasing a rep player with an open cheque book. Dave Warwicks genius at Manly was knowing he had no cash to play with and identifying players like Brenton Lawrence taken from being a Nevil in QCUP to a representative level player in the NRL level.

Sorry to hear Dave.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8