cliffy Lyons or Thurston?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Seen the other fullback challenge...
All claim Thurston an immortal
Yet to see a game breaker with the creative skills of Lyon
I take Lyon as the most skillful player in my lifetime...Thurston has skills unparalleled today- but Cliff would be a Million dollar half in today's game also.
Up with my favourites I take Cliffy all day.
Your thoughts and why?

Geez don't make it hard.....
What a great pair.
Thurston is the best half I have ever seen.
Cliffy was just a pure magician.
He also had to battle through the Lewis, Kenny era so his rep football was curbed. JT has had the qld cartel behind him so all that has to be factored in.
JT is probably that bit more consistent but cliffy gets him in defence.
I'm going JT by a whisker as much as I loved Cliffy purely because of all players today he is the only one who could be considered a future immortal imo.

Thurston clearly has the bigger head.

WSH - Wembley Stadium Head.

Did you hear him on the news? 'I haven't spoken to Kevvie' re: Coen (and the Kelly's) Hess's chances of a SOO call-up.

I am not smart enough Yo know who is the best

Though I do know that I would have cliffy in my side every day of the week over Thurston or anyone else for that matter

Why
Ever seen Thurston dummy to no one

Ever seen Thurston chip kick in his own in goal

Ever seen Thurston spin a full 360 twice before he kicks for a try

I rest my case

Loved Cliffy but nowhere near as good as Thurston.

Silly comparison really.

More realistic Cliffy vs Alan Thompson.

My vote is Thommo and I dont really understand how anyone could vote any other way.

Loved Cliffy but nowhere near as good as Thurston.

Silly comparison really.

More realistic Cliffy vs Alan Thompson.

My vote is Thommo and I dont really understand how anyone could vote any other way.
Not silly to me Bob or wouldn't have made it
Cliff would be a million dollar half today no doubt
Styles are different and Thurston plays to more of a structure and that's my comparison, Cliffy could create more opportunities from nothing....it's a fair call as both are great in their own unique way....

Last edited:
Probably not the most relevant of comparisons and again taking into account different era's and even positions . Thurston plays more of a traditional - to the line half back role , Cliffy was more mainly open play 5/ 8 role . Thurston - outstanding in all departments and regular state and national rep . Cliffy - brilliant and skillful club player with the occasional rep appearances . So Thurston, the more accomplished player but Cliffy will always have a special place with Manly folk.

Thurston by a margin. We must not forget all the flat moments Clift had.
However, Cliffy had most of the biggest moments.
Both are a pleasure to watch by the way the hold the ball on a string.
NYEagle

Napper would smoke JT, along with a packet of cigarettes.

Probably, if they both played exactly as they do/did under their respective conditions.

NRL is a completely different beast to late 80's and early/mid 90's rugby league.. ( and not in a good way).

Cliffy would not thrive in today's structured NRL imo. Any flair would see him in reserve grade quick smart.
And JT would have been belted out of the game in earlier days if he played like he does now.

Completely different players in completely different eras.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6