Cliff Watson - A request....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hello Lads,

I am 14 years old and the Great-Nephew of Cliff Watson.

I have been researching his career for many years, but am now in the process of really observing it in great detail and speaking to former players and fans of his era.

If anyone has any memories of Cliff, I'd love to hear your memories please and if anyone knows how to get in touch with any former players, please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated - I know he was part of 'the old enemy,' but I'm hoping that a few Manly fans grew to appreciate him in the 45 years since the famous '73 Grand Final!!

Kind regards,

Davis Watson
aged 14
(London, UK)

I can't help with former players but as a fan who was a young kid myself at the time, your grand uncle (?) seemed like one of the scariest men I'd ever seen, and that was in an era of rugby league in which scary men proliferated. His skill and intimidation factor definitely made him a key figure in the Sharks mounting a credible threat back in the day. I never met him but saw him interviewed on TV in more recent times and off-field he was reputed to be a lovely guy. I have heard an anecdote in which he was working as a bouncer, some bloke was causing trouble so Cliff went up to him and said something like, "You see this face? It's taken me years to look like this, but if you don't leave now you'll look like this in a matter of seconds" and the troublemaker saw the point and quickly scurried away.

Yes, I grew up in the Cliff Watson era, and I still live in the Cronulla area , the club he played for, I used to see him very often in the local shopping centre, he was a very very tough player, in the same class as the other great English forward Malcolm Reilly who played with Manly.
I know he was good friends with former Manly players Bob Fulton and also Peter Peters who still works for Manly, perhaps you can get in touch with him there , try this email, [email protected]
Perhaps the Cronulla Club , [email protected], may be able to help you get in touch with Tommy Bishop, the English halfback who captained both England and Cronulla, they were great friends.
Interestingly, my daughter and I are leaving this morning for the UK for a couple of weeks, I have a DVD of the 1973 Grand Final, I can try copying it and send it to you when we return to Australia.

.https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...p/news-story/00a6af585a6adab2057a382c403d6ab7

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
I too am from that era, welcome to the forum.

Bloody tough pommie bastard ( if I remember) yes in the same mould as Mal Reilly.

Looked as scary as all ****, I for one wouldn’t have wanted to tackle him!

Hello Lads,

I have been researching his career for many years, but am now in the process of really observing it in great detail and speaking to former players and fans of his era.

If anyone has any memories of Cliff, I'd love to hear your memories please and if anyone knows how to get in touch with any former players, please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated - I know he was part of 'the old enemy,' but I'm hoping that a few Manly fans grew to appreciate him in the 45 years since the famous '73 Grand Final!!

Kind regards,

Davis Watson
aged 14
(London, UK)
Hi Davis, Re your request. Leave it with me and I will track down my cousin and see if he can help. Buck

Great to hear from you young Davis.
I have always been a fan of your great uncle largely because my father was as well.
It started for me when dad took me to a test match against Great Britain in the early 70s. I can't remember the exact Year cause I was pretty young, but though we went out there to watch the Aussie greats, Fulton, Langlands, Beetson etc, the old man told me to watch two Great Britain players.
Tommy Bishop and Cliff Watson.
I was amazed at how big he was by the standard back then and was a fan ever since.
We of course remember the 73 grand final.
In a match referred to as 'The Battle of Brisbane Mark II', the 1st test of the 1970 series, was a game full of mayhem.
During one brawl, legend has it that Aussie prop, the late big Jim Morgan, decided to lay a headbutt on Cliff.
Unfortunately for Jim it didn't do the job and Cliff responded with " This is how you give a Liverpool kiss lad" and responded in kind, smashing Morgan's nose.
That's how the game was then.
Cliff received great respect from Aussie's he played against and fans alike.
Thanks for the opportunity to share a couple of memories.
Harves.

* I have heard a couple of great interviews with Cliff that may still be able to be listened to.
I'm sure one was on Talkin sport on 2sm the super radio network.
If you email Graeme Hughes on that program I'm sure he'd be glad to help.

Last edited:
Hi Davis

You are a very well spoken 14-year-old. Very refreshing for an Aussie teacher to read a text from a young person with no spelling errors and use of manners.
Welcome to the forum and cheers to you.
I don't know anything about Cliff but can ask my Dad for you.
Can we give you the job of converting all your mates to be Sea Eagles supporters and spreading the word through the UK.:D

*Note - not only lads on here. Some awesome women too. And a few ladettes after a Manly win.;)

The old Cliff was from an era where the game was tough and the men playing - even tougher.
Not around at that time myself, but as an avid lover of the sport have seen much footage of this No nonsense forward.
Intimidating straight up Hitman who would aim up against the biggest, ugliest opposition forward and more often than not - Won the battle.
As a youngster from the Shire, heard many stories of him around the Caringbah Inn where he enjoyed a drink or 20, often ending up in a punch up with an unlucky big mouth out back and again, finishing the game in front by KO.
Best way I would describe him as a Manly fan, is Kevin Ward and Les Boyd rolled into 1.

Hello Lads,

Kind regards,

Davis Watson
aged 14
(London, UK)
Here he is mate at a 1973 Grand final reunion with Premiership winning Sea eagle greats Peter Peters and Max Brown
3fb0bade18045e136741944e6d9d3ee1.jpg

The old Cliff was from an era where the game was tough and the men playing - even tougher.
Not around at that time myself, but as an avid lover of the sport have seen much footage of this No nonsense forward.
Intimidating straight up Hitman who would aim up against the biggest, ugliest opposition forward and more often than not - Won the battle.
As a youngster from the Shire, heard many stories of him around the Caringbah Inn where he enjoyed a drink or 20, often ending up in a punch up with an unlucky big mouth out back and again, finishing the game in front by KO.
Best way I would describe him as a Manly fan, is Kevin Ward and Les Boyd rolled into 1.
Certainly was a tough and uncompromising forward and i remember that Battle of Brisbane test mark 2 which i saw as a schoolboy on a visit there and any forward that played in that encounter definitely did not lack courage or toughness of the highest order . Only saw him once in public when i was on a junior rep trip to the Shire in the seventies and Cliff did look a pretty imposing individual . Great footy career and R I P to the big man . [ B T W remember staying at a older style rambling hotel on a head land at Caringbah called the Cecil i think , i haven"t been back to that part of the Shire since . Wonder if it is still standing ? and to those with a Shire connection still ]

Here he is mate at a 1973 Grand final reunion with Premiership winning Sea eagle greats Peter Peters and Max Brown
View attachment 8771
Is that big Bill Hamilton on the left ? Recall that the Manly front row was Lurch O " Neil and Herman Hamilton and the Shark"s props Cliff and Graham Bowen . What a brutal game but certainly memorable

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6