Clean-out in 1989?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shoe1

Journey Man
Was it 1989 when we had uppity players who tried to "manage" club affairs?

I remember it felt like a shambles when Doug Daley didn't sign Fatty & had to deal with bolshie players. He said anyone who was unhappy could be released immediately. We lost Shearer (who then lost his way).

Within 2 or 3 seasons we were right up there again, with a bunch of talented juniors & new imports who shone. Soon after we were the strongest team ever 95-97 (despite just one title).

It seemed a hard call at the time & he copped it as CEO, but it was the right call in hindsight. I'm not saying we need to do that right now, but if the BS continues ...

Two weeks ago we were cruising as well as anyone.

We had a scrappy WIN against the Noughts, and now one bad game.

All this BS is media speculation (and a fair bit self-generating here!)

It's a long way short of a crisis mate.

Heaven forbid we ever lose Watmough, snake and DCE, but if we did we would have enough cash to buy the Sydney harbour Bridge.

Pretty sure a number of players tried to take Daley up on the offer but were refused when it came to crunch time. Paul shaw and ronnie gib says well as another couple. Most eventually left when there current contracts expired.

The players who you would think would be most upset about Glenn leaving are still playing well with the exception of Brett.
I don't think Hasson, Starling & co can use player discontent for their performances yesterday .

I think that talk of a clean out is way too pre-mature. It has been a long time since the comp has been this close in terms of teams normally at the bottom doing so well or at least getting close to wins. Yesterday was very disappointing (only due to the final scoreline) and lets be honest our players are pretty broken atm. We get/rush Lyon & Foz back only to lose Choc & DCE. We can't seem to get a break.

There is a lot of talk in the media about unrest Blah blah blah but that's every year when it comes to Manly whether players are disgruntled, board is in fighting etc.

Calling for drastic changes after a couple of ordinary games is very short sighted. Wait until the end of the season to make such suggestions and even then Skivvy & Choc aren't going anywhere, nor is Lyon, Foz, DCE, Snake as they have contracts with the club for next year.

Still sitting 3rd without a full strength team is pretty good so the world hasn't caved in just yet.

The clean out is happening right now.

Not sure if you have noticed but Kite and Rose are gone, Gift is gone in a couple of months.

And within 1-2 or 3 years Ballin, Matai, Watmough, Wolf, Brett, King and Lyon will all be gone.

Back in 1989 Vautin and Doug Daley were not on friendly terms, there was a lot of insubordination on the part of Vautin and a couple of other players.
Daley called all the players into his office and told them if they were not happy ,they were welcome to go, the Broncos hearing this then approached Shearer about moving north, Shearer then used this as an excuse to get out of his Manly contract, something he has regretted, as his career and perhaps his life went to sh#t not long after.
Vautin on the other hand didn't want to leave, but his opinion of his value was not what the club thought, his previous contract was for around $100,000, Manly only offered him $50,000, he took this as an insult and went to the Roosters,for $90,000, who at the time were struggling to sign anyone of value.
We lost Phil Daley and Ian Gately, can't remember what happened to Paul Shaw, I just thought he languished in the lower grades and finished playing,.
Ron Gibbs left before all of this happened.

RiverEagle said:

It's not the losses. It's the Watmough's claiming he wants to run off to Brad Arthur and The Eels, it's Glenn Stewart complaining because the club can't fit him into a salary cap (would he prefer us to cheat the rules?), it's the Matai's claiming a player revolt, it's the DCE's potentially being paid NOT to extend a contract, it's the Foran's claiming players would think twice about extending, it's the club's refusal to knock these things on the head.

Then, off the back of that is more frequent poor half efforts and laziness. Poor overall attitudes. Guys like Taufua moping around. Guys like Starling getting blue chip playing time at reserve grade ability.

If you ask me, Toovey in his last conference looked indifferent to it all.

Something is crook. Something is very crook at the moment. I can say for the 1st time in years, we are no chance against the team we are going to play at Brookvale next up in The Bulldogs. Our forward pack is a joke now.

Des would have a game plan that has Toovey completely sorted - already. The result this Friday will attest to that.

These players holding the club to ransom, and making terrible comments publicly just suck it hard. They are completely ruining the entertainment that is for a fan. Stop whingeing, do your work...and if they don't like it - **** off, just do so quietly.

Only last year, our players were energetic, upbeat, and LOOKED like they were having fun. This year it looks somber, cumbersome and disjointed - both in attitude and effort.

Toovey needs to make a clear and concise statement about the attitude of these players. They think they are owed, just by being there.

If we're going to do a 'cleanout' don't we have to do it before 30 June ? Ok so u can forget that idea until the off season. Maybe then. But not now. 2 or 3 good wins during SOO Season, and we might be on top of the table yet !

Ryan said:
RiverEagle said:

It's not the losses. It's the Watmough's claiming he wants to run off to Brad Arthur and The Eels, it's Glenn Stewart complaining because the club can't fit him into a salary cap (would he prefer us to cheat the rules?), it's the Matai's claiming a player revolt, it's the DCE's potentially being paid NOT to extend a contract, it's the Foran's claiming players would think twice about extending, it's the club's refusal to knock these things on the head.

Then, off the back of that is more frequent poor half efforts and laziness. Poor overall attitudes. Guys like Taufua moping around. Guys like Starling getting blue chip playing time at reserve grade ability.

If you ask me, Toovey in his last conference looked indifferent to it all.

Something is crook. Something is very crook at the moment. I can say for the 1st time in years, we are no chance against the team we are going to play at Brookvale next up in The Bulldogs. Our forward pack is a joke now.

Des would have a game plan that has Toovey completely sorted - already. The result this Friday will attest to that.

These players holding the club to ransom, and making terrible comments publicly just suck it hard. They are completely ruining the entertainment that is for a fan. Stop whingeing, do your work...and if they don't like it - ... off, just do so quietly.

Only last year, our players were energetic, upbeat, and LOOKED like they were having fun. This year it looks somber, cumbersome and disjointed - both in attitude and effort.

Toovey needs to make a clear and concise statement about the attitude of these players. They think they are owed, just by being there.
Yes I think the above sets out why I have a sense of unease.

Ryan i think you are being unfair

Until there is a direct quote from Choc you are using little more than hearsay and rumor....and the rumor is primarily based on articles from the Tele

lsz said:

Until there is a direct quote from Choc you are using little more than hearsay and rumor....and the rumor is primarily based on articles from the Tele

Everything you said Ryan is rumour mate.

Where is any quote that Choc is unhappy and going to Parra?

Same with every gripe you have against the players. I've not seen any public comments from those guys, apart from a normal disappointment
about losing Gift.

Don't believe everything you read or hear about Manly mate. I would've thought you'd have realized that over the years.

I remain astounded at how quickly some ppl turn on their own team.

FMD

RiverEagle said:
lsz said:

Everything you said Ryan is rumour mate.

Where is any quote that Choc is unhappy and going to Parra?

Same with every gripe you have against the players. I've not seen any public comments from those guys, apart from a normal disappointment
about losing Gift.

Don't believe everything you read or hear about Manly mate. I would've thought you'd have realized that over the years.

I remain astounded at how quickly some ppl are to turn on their own team.

FMD
I heard Gibbsy saying on the radio this evening that Choc wouldn't be going anywhere. He said there is no way Parra or any team could pay him anywhere near what his back ended contract with Manly would be paying next year.

He also said he thought there was some truth to the 'unrest' rumours.

I also thought Tooves was right on it when he said The Broncos offloads killed us. The boys and coaches will spend a big week working on their defence Im sure.

To mine the one player who seems off these days and understandably is still getting his head around Glenn leaving at the end of the season Is Brett. His DUI charge I am sure also hasn't helped his current state of mind. Brett has had a lot to deal with in his life and Glenn has been his rock. Maybe we should all come out supporting Brett again and he will realise his love for Manly and it's fans etc can rise above his disappointment about Glenn leaving.

I think and hope we will see a big improvement from all the players on Friday night.

I flicked through the last 3 games to see where Snake has lost his zip.

In the Scumos game he was running seamlessly into either side of the play and offloading.

Against the Knights and now the Broncos he looked 'dazed' and his timing was seriously flawed, he seemed to have cement legs.
I was reminded of a family member with insulin dependent diabetes. When they got their dose wrong, they seemed to be in this altered state. Not quite coordinated, but its not apparent to them, due to their brain fog :s

So I'm wondering if Snake has had similar issues. I read that he needs to check his blood 18 times on a game day :-/ Its truly amazing that he can perform at such a physically demanding level, with his condition.
Hope that he is OK :angel:

Peter C said:
Daley called all the players into his office and told them if they were not happy ,they were welcome to go
Peter C said:
We lost Phil Daley and Ian Gately
Er... his own son wasn't happy and left?? things must have been pretty bad, lol

What do you think Dollar Dazzler's Scumdogs will do to us this week if the boy's are not fully Focussed ? Everything will be fine ( attach blinkers now ). Lol
It's better to clean out slowly, rather then be like the Storm, waiting for the big 3 to realise they have enough coin in their accounts.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4