Cherry

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I was just looking through Cherry's instagram (yep, offseason) and it looks to me like he's front and centre with the up and coming generation. And they all look like a happy bunch (Yep I know, it's DCE's insta).

If that is the case though, I really think it is time for the cleanout and to build our team around him. He's a massive talent with the support of the younger talents - that's how we get the next dynasty.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
I was just looking through Cherry's instagram (yep, offseason) and it looks to me like he's front and centre with the up and coming generation. And they all look like a happy bunch (Yep I know, it's DCE's insta).

If that is the case though, I really think it is time for the cleanout and to build our team around him. He's a massive talent with the support of the younger talents - that's how we get the next dynasty.

It's been that way for some time. The problem is, Watmough, Snake, Gifty, Lyon, Ballin, and Matai are all two time premiership winners, and the rest of this young brigade (with the exception of DCE) are all 23+ and still trying to make a name for themselves in the top grade; the class gap is startling. I would prefer we keep some of these premiership champions a little longer, because they don't grow on trees.

Snake said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:

It's been that way for some time. The problem is, Watmough, Snake, Gifty, Lyon, Ballin, and Matai are all two time premiership winners, and the rest of this young brigade (with the exception of DCE) are all 23+ and still trying to make a name for themselves in the top grade; the class gap is startling. I would prefer we keep some of these premiership champions a little longer, because they don't grow on trees.

Don't get me wrong. Absolutely agree re keeping some of these greats. Just looking ahead. Gifty gone. I suspect Watmough too. But of course the others should remain. And truthfully I can't see the others trying to hurt the team.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
Snake said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:

Don't get me wrong. Absolutely agree re keeping some of these greats. Just looking ahead. Gifty gone. I suspect Watmough too. But of course the others should remain. And truthfully I can't see the others trying to hurt the team.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I have to say, my biggest disappointment in the whole saga is Foran. You expect a little crap from Choc every now and then, but Foran should be a future leader of this club, and is such a wonderful footballer. I would be much more comfortable knowing that he was locked up long term, as it could galvanise the fractions, but as it stands, he is uncertain and has raised it publicly.

Snake said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:

It's season 2015, Lyon has been in the game for 15 years, choc and snake 10 or more we have to be looking into the future soon or later.

Imagine Cherry running the side like Andrew Johns, being able to make the calls, not being overawed by so called legends of the club.
Change is good.

I think some of us are underestimating just how special this senior playing group is; they are not going to just be replaced by the next generation. Some of these guys are once in a lifetime players; Snake and Lyon in particular. We are talking about absolute legends of the game. 146 tries in 200 matches for Snake?!

I am not really sure that Glenn should have been shown the door; Souths are pretty happy about getting him, and we are all pretty nervous about playing against him next year; what's that tell you? He still has something to offer! I don't support this "new direction" personally. I'll go down with a sinking ship of two time premiership legends any day of the week.

Throw the cheque book at DCE let Foz go we can't keep them both simply because they are both captains and co captains is a wank. The blokes who won in 08 deserve recognition. But gift hasn't played well for three years. Almost derailed what Toovey was doing with us last year. Snake gets negative metres from kick returns and would be better doing it at Canberra. Watmough is one of my favourites and I will miss him so is Matai but I wish him the best pay day he can get.

We all knew this time would come. Our team is getting old. It's okay to be sentimental and it's okay to miss those who have done so much for this team. But we need to move forward.

For me the must keeps out of the "I want a contract release old brigade" boil down to one player - Brett Stewart. I think it is essential that Snake sees out the rest of this contract. By 2017 one of the young guns like Gutherson can take over. As people have noted Snake's kick return is not the best however he is very valuable in marshalling the defence and his one on one tackling is superb plus his try assists and try scoring is up there with the very best.

Salary cap wise sadly I don't think we can afford to keep both DCE & Foz so I believe Tooves will have to make a hard decision here. Of the two I think Foran is slightly easier to replace.

Mals said:
For me the must keeps out of the "I want a contract release old brigade" boil down to one player - Brett Stewart. I think it is essential that Snake sees out the rest of this contract. By 2017 one of the young guns like Gutherson can take over. As people have noted Snake's kick return is not the best however he is very valuable in marshalling the defence and his one on one tackling is superb plus his try assists and try scoring is up there with the very best.

Salary cap wise sadly I don't think we can afford to keep both DCE & Foz so I believe Tooves will have to make a hard decision here. Of the two I think Foran is slightly easier to replace.

I agree completely with this post. especially when you combine it with the gutherson article from a couple of days age. He went on to say that he learns so much from snake about the craft of being a proper fullback, positioning marshalling defences and reading the game. absolutely essential to the club that he can pass on his knowledge and nurture the next crop of sea eagle fullbacks through to being superstars.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6