Cherry-Evans and Foran receive ''best offer'' from Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Manly have made their final play to retain Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran after tabling their "best offer" for the halves.
1423049597249-jpg.971

Rival clubs are circling the off-contract international playmakers. Chairman Scott Penn had signalled his intention to sign the duo before Christmas but both appear in no rush to commit as they test their value on the open market. Each could command a seven-figure sum, with the Gold Coast and Cronulla the most likely destinations should Cherry-Evans depart. The Eels are the favourites to snare Foran, although Canterbury, the Warriors and the Roosters are in the mix.

Sea Eagles officials have been in dialogue with the halves' managers for six months, although a change in the club's ownership has complicated the process. Chief executive Joe Kelly said both players had now been tabled formal offers for their consideration. "We're still progressing and doing our best to retain the both of them," Kelly said. "We're absolutely putting forward our best offers and we've made those best offers. We're working through things. With retention these days it isn't just about the salary cap and what you're paying the players, it's about a whole heap of other factors as well. We are respecting the players' time to make a decision and weigh up all the other factors as well in making a call on their future career."

Both players will carefully consider which coach can provide them the best opportunity to develop their games. Manly's clipboard holder, Geoff Toovey, has put together a fine record since taking over from Des Hasler in difficult circumstances three years ago. Yet speculation persists that Toovey, despite being under contract for a further two seasons, has lost some support at management and player level. Fairfax Media revealed Parramatta's Brad Arthur, a former Sea Eagles assistant, was a coach that some Sea Eagles powerbrokers are viewing with interest. Kelly said he has not approached Arthur about returning to the club.

"I've had no contact with Brad Arthur," Kelly said. "From where we are standing we don't know where it's coming from. We're concentrating on re-signing and retaining players. It's certainly not something we're into and the squad itself is very settled.

"[Toovey] is contracted for another two years. It was pointed out a few weeks ago that we had a robust discussion but that's just two guys wanting to take the business in the right direction.

"We have differences of opinion but these things happen in life. We're in a really good spot, the two of us together. We attended the Auckland Nines together and meet about various things every other day of the week too. We're moving forward happily together."

The facilities at home ground Brookvale Oval, as well as the some of the club's football infrastructure, are in desperate need of an upgrade. Kelly was confident progress was being made on both fronts, a key factor in retaining and recruiting players.

'We're putting resources into the footy program and everyone is delighted with ther way it's going," he said.

"We have had an under recsourced footy department forever and performed exceptionally and now we're starting to resource the footy through the ownership program."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...er-from-manly-sea-eagles-20150204-136ch7.html

Attachments

• 1423049597249.jpg
    1423049597249.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 5,284
Last edited by a moderator:
The club has done all it can, this now comes down to what truly motivates DCE and Foz, I just hope we know sooner rather than later so that we can see an end to the daily circus that has engulfed the club and that is gleefully reported by our enemies in the media.

Enough mucking around guys, you are either in or you are out, no more BS, just decide!

If they both re-sign, I run outside (possibly nude) like a maniac.

If they both leave, I'll be curled up in the corner of my room like a kid that gets underwear as Christmas presents.

Actually big news if true. Hopefully the news that we are beefing up our footy department helps, as apparently that was an issues Foran had at least. I suppose that's one of the things players look at when they go to see the set ups at rival clubs, they walk in and see the things they have they we might not and it could very well be a factor, so if we are bridging that gap it can only be a good thing. Fingers crossed from here on in.

Hopefully things go well.

All for better facilities....but it's an issue for their next contracts? Didn't worry them when they were on little money/hadn't won a premiership. (if that's true)

Hopefully things go well.

All for better facilities....but it's an issue for their next contracts? Didn't worry them when they were on little money/hadn't won a premiership. (if that's true)
That will do me if better facilities are preventing Foran from signing with us.
Let's say our best offer is up there with all the other offers but our facilities are not up there with Parra/Roosters/Dogs, whatever, and it's preventing him from re-signing, then he can piss off as far as I'm concerned,there are a lot of things that we have given him,ie success.

Don't they train at the NSWIS - how much of those facilities belong to the club?

Facilities is the new cash. If facilities matter neither will be rushing to the gold coast who are homeless at the moment and ate training at a rugby school, and Parramatta's facilities? Give me a break.

But I was told by someone with a reliable source that Foran had already signed with Parra and was just waiting until Feb 3rd to announce it, how can this be?

or was someone just trolling?

But I was told by someone with a reliable source that Foran had already signed with Parra and was just waiting until Feb 3rd to announce it, how can this be?

or was someone just trolling?
I was told Foran would rather swim in the Northern beaches than the parramatta river

Dogs usually brag about having the best facilities but then I saw pics of them training at the NSWIS so who knows.

If either of these two think that they're going to win another premiership at their new clubs then they're kidding themselves! Many a good player has left Manly for so called 'greener pastures' only to become nobody's, which is exactly what both these guys were before Manly took them on & made them what they are today! I always thought they would emulate Steve Menzies & become legends of our club but if it's true that they've made decisions to leave then so be it. At least show some respect for the Maroon & White supporters & let us know your decision NOW rather than later so the team can get on with preparations for the season ahead without the bloody disruptions that killed off our season last year!

We just need to know, this is dragging on way too long. I've been reading the Eels forum and they're absolutely convinced Foran is going there, talk of a handshake deal with promises of no backflips.

and now the games begin, the papers go into overdrive, more theories than Einstein are thrown about and we the fans are left sweating it out like a one armed bricklayer in Beirut

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4