Challenge Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Townsville Eagle

Reserve Grader
Does anyone else think that the Challenge Cup is nothing more than a hinderance to a teams title defence. The team has to go to England, on their turf, play in the cold and have only played probably one game prior.

It can have the intensity of a Grand Final and if you win or lose it is ultimately a letdown when you play your next few games. Throw in an injury or two to key players plus the usual bad draw from the NRL and why bother playing it. I know the money, but is it really worth it?

Townsville Eagle said:
bones said:
World Club Challenge.

That too. :D

I for one am not a fan of the game , i believe to only way for it to be played out fairly is to alternate the game between country's......it has had an effect on us this year, how couldn't it, but the boys are doing there best.

Top idea- introduce a Challenge Cup in Australia.

Play the first round two weeks before the season proper commences at bush venues. Then play quarters, semis and final on the weekend before origin, thus eliminating the need for matches to played with weakened teams.

Would also allow some teams to maybe win something...

c eagle said:
Townsville Eagle said:
bones said:
World Club Challenge.

I for one am not a fan of the game , i believe to only way for it to be played out fairly is to alternate the game between country's......it has had an effect on us this year, how couldn't it, but the boys are doing there best.

or play it before the four nations, not before the season starts in February.

Jono said:
c eagle said:
Townsville Eagle said:
bones said:
World Club Challenge.

or play it before the four nations, not before the season starts in February.

Yep that's probably how it should be done, at the end of the season (using any currently contracted players). Imagine if Bradford had of won the 2008 Super League comp. Beaver would have played for Manly in the 08 GF and then against Manly at Eland Road for Bradford....ridiculous!!

The only thing thats good about it is that it gives you a chance to go over there and have a greater insight to your team and meet other supporters, an experience which doesn't come often.

Peter C said:
The only thing thats good about it is that it gives you a chance to go over there and have a greater insight to your team and meet other supporters, an experience which doesn't come often.

This is true for supporters. It isnt all bad but it really can hinder a title defence particularly if you are beaten.

I like it not long after the Grand Final so you can still play your Grand Final side if at all.

Wouldn't an added motivation to this game be this : if you lose (in which case we did) wouldn't you think going back to back so you can win the WCC to prove you really are the best team in the world

eagles2win said:
Wouldn't an added motivation to this game be this : if you lose (in which case we did) wouldn't you think going back to back so you can win the WCC to prove you really are the best team in the world

We proved that we were the best team in the world when we won the NRL grand final, the WCC is really an exhibition game heavily slanted in favour of the english clubs.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6