Central Coast Trial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Guys - I kind of feel slack, but I am totally not thinking of going to The Central Coast trial due to a number of issues. They are:-

1. Des ALWAYS lists a team full of players, that don't really turn up.
2. Do I show support at a ground the club are thinking of re-locating to?
3. Steve Matai, Jamie Lyon are suspended. I have been told the Stewart brothers, Jason King, Brent Kite, Anthony Watmough will not be playing. Matt Orford has "asked" if he can get SOME game time.
4. Melbourne use a LOT of their 1st graders in these matches, and we generally get belted.

I kind of almost think it's false advertising. Des should list the players that are going to play, and that's it IMO. I feel for the coasties who take this as their one chance to watch their beloved Eagles.

Also, and as stated above, I will NOT be attending that ground, as I believe it's a sign of support for the place, and that's not the perception I want to leave.

What do you guys reckon? Worth it?

Trials I am finding are a waste of time....All I like about them is that they use up suspension numbers.

I am not going for the simple simple reason that it is impossible to get there on a Friday night in time unless I leave work at 2

Most teams generally only play their stars for a quarter anyway, anyone who goes thinking they are going to see the NRL team running around are thick.

I would prefer Des play the younger ones who are on the fringes and see how they go and it saves any injuries, Mark Gasnier anyone!!!!

I am not going on Friday as it is at CC and a pain to get too.  If it was in Sydney I would attend just for the sake of watching some footy and having a few beers.

Also I think we beat Melbourne last year, although only when our stars came on did we get on top.

Garts link said:
Most teams generally only play their stars for a quarter anyway, anyone who goes thinking they are going to see the NRL team running around are thick.

I would prefer Des play the younger ones who are on the fringes and see how they go and it saves any injuries, Mark Gasnier anyone!!!!

I am not going on Friday as it is at CC and a pain to get too.  If it was in Sydney I would attend just for the sake of watching some footy and having a few beers.

Also I think we beat Melbourne last year, although only when our stars came on did we get on top.

Garts, I know how they work mate. My beef is that the players that ARE going to play should be announced prior to the match (a week or so).

I believe that this isn't as transparent as it could be, as they are looking to sell tickets.

do they put any of these trials on Fox?

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=176878.msg177531#msg177531 date=1202192576]

Garts, I know how they work mate. My beef is that the players that ARE going to play should be announced prior to the match (a week or so).

I believe that this isn't as transparent as it could be, as they are looking to sell tickets.
[/quote]

Get your point with it.  My experience is generally the players that are named in a squad generally all play a small part in the game.  The only exception I can think of is the last trial on the CC when a number got named and did not play at all.

Dan they wont be on Fox.  Might get some highlights on the foxsports news if we are lucky.

One of my favorite memories is of going to see Manly sides get belted by the Roosters grade above them at the CC 2 years ago.  What more could you ask for?

It was quite funny listening to all the Roosters fans give it to Manly that night about how bad we are and wont make the 8 etc etc.  The idiots were carrying on as if they won a semi final, they did not even make the 8 that year.

I'm sure Des has seen the error of his ways and will play his top squad now.

Phew, thankfully Ryan threatened to stay home.

Its called a trial for a reason FFS

Garts link said:
It was quite funny listening to all the Roosters fans give it to Manly that night about how bad we are and wont make the 8 etc etc.  The idiots were carrying on as if they won a semi final, they did not even make the 8 that year.

When we were in the stand there was this old pensioner, very Vaucluse, decked out in her roosters gear and every time the Roosters had the ball she'd do this golf clap that was the loudest, most piercing clap I've ever heard in my life. 

Matabele link said:
When we were in the stand there was this old pensioner, very Vaucluse, decked out in her roosters gear and every time the Roosters had the ball she'd do this golf clap that was the loudest, most piercing clap I've ever heard in my life. 
There was a voice quite close to me on that night that was just as booming and loud if I remember!!! ;)

i'm going straight after work from city - should make it with about 20 mins to spare if the games against knights last year was any indication.

i need some football!

Fro link said:
I'm sure Des has seen the error of his ways and will play his top squad now.

Phew, thankfully Ryan threatened to stay home.

Its called a trial for a reason FFS

Fro, I'm not talking about the technical side of who plays and who doesn't play in relation to how it will improve them coming into the season.

What I am saying is simple.

Don't say certain players are making the trip and playing, when they aren't.

Not everyone follows the sport as in depth as us on the forums mate. Some people say on the CC may read the paper saying Brent Kite, Steve Matai etc etc are making the trip up to Bluetongue, and buy tickets not realising they just won't play.

The reason I say this, is actually due to that day Matabele and I went to Blutongue to watch The Roosters belt us. Sea Eagles releases mentioned Ben Kennedy, Steve Menzies and co. were playing, when they never really were. It was dissapointing to me, but I bet a lot MORE dissapointing to fans that don't support the club as in depth as we do.

So, there's no reason to be a smart arse dude. Being open and transparent (the club) shouldn't really be that hard to do.

I actually remember people saying after that trial, that they would never go again, so my topic has merit IMO.

who needs a reason to be a smart arse :)

You always think your topics have merit, otherwise you wouldnt post them.

Oh and adding IMO doesnt make them seem any more credible.

BTW, I'm only pressing your buttons big guy :)

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=176878.msg177548#msg177548

I actually remember people saying after that trial, that they would never go again, so my topic has merit IMO.
[/quote]

Not really.  the dumb schmuck should have figured out it would be a mickey mouse game before going in the first instance.

Thus the thread is not really about the validity of trials.  It's about who is desperate enough to go and see Premier League play after a long summer. 

Ryan link said:
Trials I am finding are a waste of time....All I like about them is that they use up suspension numbers.
Just on that note am I the only one who thinks it BS that a player can clear a suspension in trial games. I know that we will benefit in this case but why should a player who is suspended for say two games at the end of the season be allowed eat up those games in unimportant trial matches, when a player who is suspended in say round 5 has to sit out two far more important games.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4