Centers Conundrum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
So we now have 4 centres vying for 2 spots. Defensively Harper and Parker are the better combo. Attacking wise Suli/Walker. So what's the preference. Parker is too slow but a really good defender. Suli can be a beast but makes defensive misjudgements. Walker can be a real handful in attack but makes some selfish and puzzling decisions at times. Harper is probably the best defender of the 4 but I think injury is hampering his attack. Hard to judge where Des will land with these 4. I think come finals we go with defenders as we have the attack weapons Turbo, Schu, Saab, Garrick, Haumole.

Fairly straightforward in Parker and Harper IMO.

As you say we have strike all over the place atm so our centres need to be strong defensively, good hole runners and consistant......that is Harper and Parker as it stands.

I like Walker being thrown on as some spark in the middle

So we now have 4 centres vying for 2 spots. Defensively Harper and Parker are the better combo. Attacking wise Suli/Walker. So what's the preference. Parker is too slow but a really good defender. Suli can be a beast but makes defensive misjudgements. Walker can be a real handful in attack but makes some selfish and puzzling decisions at times. Harper is probably the best defender of the 4 but I think injury is hampering his attack. Hard to judge where Des will land with these 4. I think come finals we go with defenders as we have the attack weapons Turbo, Schu, Saab, Garrick, Haumole.
harper and parker start

walker plays 14 and suli is there for depth

For a change ,we are in a good position if injuries arise.
I stick with the defensive centres (who still are scoring)
Rather than the attacking centers (who also can score )
Defence wins comps.
Our depth is pretty amazing across the whole squad now. Most positions, including centre, seem to be well covered. Fullback is the only issue, but I think we need to trust that Garrick/Walker could step up if needed.

Walker is a center only. His actions onfield mimick his decisions off field. He's not a thinker, creator or game manager. He plays off the cuff. He's too erratic to ever be considered anything but a center. Let the inside guys create and give him the ball in space.

Suli hasn’t played a game like last night since the Semi vs Souths in ‘19,do we really want to wait another two years for him to explode?He still got caught out a couple of times in defence last night,which you don’t see from Harper or Parker and on the odd occasion Harper is caught inside too far due to DCE’s habit of rushing up,he’s quick enough to recover

Walker is a center only. His actions onfield mimick his decisions off field. He's not a thinker, creator or game manager. He plays off the cuff. He's too erratic to ever be considered anything but a center. Let the inside guys create and give him the ball in space.
And 4th in line there imo. If Lawton is available he’s our 14 every day of the week ahead of Walker. With guys out tho I like the injection of Dylan around the middle, I just don’t like him as a link man/half role. I think throw him in the middle for pest value and another support man pushing up the middle with Tom.

Parker is slow but his values not speed and it doesn’t need to be. Harpers not fast either but they lock down their edges defensively. Watching was it pre game or halftime Parker was very vocal addressing the team. He is a leader in this side now. Harper is developing into one of the best defensive centres going round.

Sone may disagree here, but I actually feel that a centres defence and decoy line running ability is a far greater asset than speed or flair, especially in teams with guys like Tom and Latrell who add so much roving out the back.

It will catch us in the grand final if we have two defensive centres, I mean, we will miss out on a vital try and Parks and Harps haven't got that ability to conjure up something. To help, think Matai and Jamie Lyon, could do both easily, having 2 average attacking centres will catch us big time. On the other side you know Suli would miss a few vital reads in defence and the opposition would win from it. Tough decision, to be honest, i'd like 1 more attacking centre to balance it up and create more attacking options.

I’d still like to see walker play center. Can’t remember when he last played in his position. May change a lot of minds when he gets a chance.

It’s risky changing the defensive combinations close to finals. We’d need to change things ASAP if that was the plan.

Suli/Walker on their day would be destructive. But against the big teams we need Parker and Harper for their defence.

It will catch us in the grand final if we have two defensive centres, I mean, we will miss out on a vital try and Parks and Harps haven't got that ability to conjure up something. To help, think Matai and Jamie Lyon, could do both easily, having 2 average attacking centres will catch us big time. On the other side you know Suli would miss a few vital reads in defence and the opposition would win from it. Tough decision, to be honest, i'd like 1 more attacking centre to balance it up and create more attacking options.
You may be right re catching us in the GF (I don't think you are - Brenko Lee won a GF last year!!), but I don't think we win 3 finals in a row to get into the GF unless we have two guys that can lock down each edge.

Personally, I like what I see from Parker and Harper and wouldn't be changing it. They are the soldiers every team needs. Parker runs exceptional, team first lines and I think his contribution to straightening the attack and giving Foz and Schu options is severely underestimated. Harper too thinks teammates first and has a pretty solid combo with Saab. You don't tinker with that.

So DCE, Turbo, Foz, Schu, all create sufficient opportunities for the team to score enough points. If we don't win this year, it won't be because of our centre combination.

And 4th in line there imo. If Lawton is available he’s our 14 every day of the week ahead of Walker. With guys out tho I like the injection of Dylan around the middle, I just don’t like him as a link man/half role. I think throw him in the middle for pest value and another support man pushing up the middle with Tom.

Parker is slow but his values not speed and it doesn’t need to be. Harpers not fast either but they lock down their edges defensively. Watching was it pre game or halftime Parker was very vocal addressing the team. He is a leader in this side now. Harper is developing into one of the best defensive centres going round.

Sone may disagree here, but I actually feel that a centres defence and decoy line running ability is a far greater asset than speed or flair, especially in teams with guys like Tom and Latrell who add so much roving out the back.
One thing that Parker has over Walker is his willingness to run absolute kamikaze lines both with the ball and as a decoy. He puts his body on the line and it’s really unselfish. You don’t really get this with guys who are super evasive as they hate getting tackled. With Parker there’s a good chance he gets whacked but also it pays off more often than not. He makes those one percent plays that we desperately need as where Walker might have the occasional brilliant touch he’s more prone to Brain explosions and selfish plays.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Not many genuine strike centres getting around these days, it's all about your fullback. Why do you think NSW had two fullbacks playing centre ?

Harper and Parker are doing a great job and once Turbo comes back and with Schuster and Guaca going great guns, we have the attacking weaponary. Wouldn't be letting Walker or Suli anywhere near the centre spots unless I had to.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Not many genuine strike centres getting around these days, it's all about your fullback. Why do you think NSW had two fullbacks playing centre ?

Harper and Parker are doing a great job and once Turbo comes back and with Schuster and Guaca going great guns, we have the attacking weaponary. Wouldn't be letting Walker or Suli anywhere near the centre spots unless I had to.
still think Latrelle is a centre playing fb for souths.
guessing wants fb money

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7